Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Just Friends 

What grade would you give this film?
A 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
B 45%  45%  [ 9 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20

Just Friends 
College Boy Z

Post Just Friends
Just Friends

Quote:
Just Friends is a 2005 romantic comedy Christmas film directed by Roger Kumble. The film stars Ryan Reynolds, Amy Smart, Anna Faris, Chris Klein, and Christopher Marquette and deals with friend zone relationships.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:01 am
je vois l'avenir

Saw this yesterday and it was great. Anna Faris is amazing the only thing that I didn't like was

[spoil]that it was too corny. with the classic, yet boring, guy gets girl thing.[/spoil]

Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:29 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I loved this. It was hilarious and really cute. Anna Faris was the best thing about it though, stealing the show in every scene she was in.

8/10 (B+)

Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:22 pm
Profile YIM
htm

For a short movie, this sure seem dragged out. Much like in Waiting, Ryan Reynolds manages to make even the cutest movies unbearable!! I give it a C+.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:38 pm
College Boy Z

B+

Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:30 pm
Sbil

Surprisingly funny. Ryan Reynolds and Amy Smart didn't have much chemistry and Chris is kind of a jerk, but their inevitable pairing is worth sitting through, in part because of Smart's solid performance. Anna Faris takes over-the-top to a new level and steals most of her scenes. B

Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:51 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Thought it was pretty good - mostly led by Amy Smart and Anna Farris.

Liked the killing of the Christmas front yard = maybe equally the backyard wedding set fire in Meet in Parents.

Nice to see Julie Haggerty from Airplane.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Surprisingly the weak link was Reynolds in the lead - he seemed kinda artificial. Otherwise, the two girls were good, and there was a couple of moderately good laughs and some watered down romance. (Though I did enjoy The Notebook gags...)

Won't have to worry about this one unseating one of the current contenders for comedy of the year...

3 out of 5.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:27 am
Award Winning Bastard

Surprisingly funny. Ryan Reynolds and Amy Smart didn't have much chemistry and Chris is kind of a jerk, but their inevitable pairing is worth sitting through, in part because of Smart's solid performance. Anna Faris takes over-the-top to a new level and steals most of her scenes. B

Ugh!!! You write comments on this but nothing for Walk the Line and Harry Potter? :ohmy:

Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:57 pm
Sbil

Libs wrote:

Ugh!!! You write comments on this but nothing for Walk the Line and Harry Potter? :ohmy:

Harry Potter was fairly self-explanatory. Heh.

Walk the Line was, of course, tremendous. Reese and Joaquin were brilliant.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:04 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Harry Potter was fairly self-explanatory. Heh.

Walk the Line was, of course, tremendous. Reese and Joaquin were brilliant.

Cheater! :nonono:

I agree about WTL, and I'll be finding out about HP4 in about a half hour as I'm finally going to see it.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:11 pm
Lord of filth

The advertising is all over the map.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

So what is this movie really about?

The advertising is all over the map.

Reynolds was fat in high school. 10 years later, he is not fat. Anna Faris is an Ashlee Simpson clone who tags along with Reynolds when the plane needs to land in New Jersey, old hometown. Reynolds still carries a torch for childhood friend Amy Smart despite her only wanting to be friends originally. Attempts to kindle a romance while competing with a fellow former nerd who wants the same thing, while Faris wreaks havoc.

Essentially.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:07 pm
Wallflower

If it weren’t for my personal favorite actress, Anna Faris (The “Scary Movie” series, “The Hot Chick,” “May,” “Brokeback Mountain” ), being in “Just Friends” then I likely wouldn’t have bothered seeing it in theaters. It looked enjoyable, but just not like something I’d feel the need to go see. However her presence in it and hearing about how she stole the show made me more interested and I just had to support my Anna. I like Ryan Reynolds (The Amityville Horror (2005), Blade: Trinity) as well but not enough to go see a movie because he stars in it. Anyway, even though I wasn’t expecting much from the movie other than a fun and funny little comedy I still ended up pretty disappointed, which is definitely no fault of Anna’s because she is easily the best thing about the movie and it would have been a lot worse without her.

People who find the obnoxious, over-the-top humor of Jim Carrey to be hilarious will likely enjoy this one a lot. At times the way Ryan Reynolds’ character acted reminded me of how characters Carrey usually plays act. I myself am not into the physical/slapstick humor at all and find it lame and obnoxious. It plays to the idiotic masses who eat it up, and I am not one of them. I think it’s just lazy writing. It’s so easy to have someone act stupid and fall down and run into things all of the time, but it’s not as easy to actually write funny, witty dialogue. I just don’t like this brand of humor. I prefer more intelligent stuff that doesn’t have to rely on physical violence to make you laugh. It doesn’t offend me (well, it does kind of offend my intelligence, and it‘s also annoying how so many find it so funny) but I just find it to be completely idiotic. It’s like, “Oh wow, he got hit with a hockey puck, how hilarious!” (*rolleyes*) While the theater was cracking up I just sat there thinking about how unfunny it was. And stuff like this happened over and over in the movie; the main character kept getting injured and acting crazy and it was just annoying. I’m not some uptight film snob though and do enjoy some silly comedies. I thought “The Hot Chick” was hilarious and a lot of fun (though I admit it wouldn’t have been as great without Anna Faris, who was adorable-as-hell in it). Stupid/silly humor can be fine, it can even be great when done right, I just don’t like the grating, over-the-top slapstick stuff.

I found most of the characters in “Just Friends” to be unlikable. Chris (Ryan Reynolds) irritated me by acting so outrageous all of the time and I didn’t like Jamie (Amy Smart) either, though I’m not really sure why not. Just something about her made me dislike her. I never thought these two characters should be together or that they had any chemistry whatsoever. After it’s revealed that Dusty (Chris Klein), Chris’s competition for Jamie’s heart, is a jerk and Chris tries to warn Jamie only to have himself look like the bigger jerk and Jamie angry at him, I thought, “Who cares about that bitch? Don’t even bother anymore. Just leave and let her get burned so then she’ll find out on her own.” It reminded me of how I felt during “Meet The Parents” when everyone was being an asshole to the main character and his own girlfriend didn’t even stick up for him. I thought he should just leave and say the hell will all of them, and that’s how I felt here. The only difference is that I really didn’t care about the main character in “Just Friends,” but since he obviously just kept making things worse and worse and digging himself deeper there was no point in staying anymore. If I were him I’d never even want to come back to town again with what an endless nightmare this visit was.

The only time I was really enjoying myself during “Just Friends” was when Anna Faris was onscreen, which ends up not being nearly enough since for me pretty much all of the laughs came from her. I ended up wishing this were a different movie where the focus was on her character, Samantha James, instead. Sure her character is a stupid, annoying, conceded, talentless heiress who is famous for being rich and is now trying to put out an album because she’s convinced that since she’s famous she also has talent (Paris Hilton anyone?), but it’s not the actual character that is appealing, it’s the entertaining performance from Anna Faris. If this were an actual person you’d hate them, but since it’s a spoof on the nauseating people of the world like Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, etc... you can’t take it seriously. Samantha even puts tin foil in the microwave, starting a fire, like Paris Hilton did on an episode of her reality show “The Simple Life.”

While Anna Faris shines in “Just Friends” I think she is above this material. I do enjoy seeing her in comedic roles because she is a great comedic actress with terrific facial expressions, but she deserves better than the roles she has been getting as of late. She is an underrated talent and I know she’s capable of more than just these goofy roles. The closest she has come to a serious role was in “May” and she was even funny in that movie, just not as outrageously funny as she usually is. Hopefully her supporting role in “Brokeback Mountain” will give her a chance to show that she’s more than just a comedic actress, as I‘m sure she is, even if she‘s great at comedy.

One thing that affected my enjoyment of the movie was that during the scene in the movie where they are at the movies watching “The Notebook” and two guys kiss over half of my audience (granted, the theater was only around 10% full) cried out “Eeeeeeew.” I have never seen a more homophobic audience at the movies before, not where so many vocally expressed how they felt anyway. I found this really upsetting and disturbing, especially when a lot of the ones saying “Eeeeew” were teen girls. What the hell? Usually they aren’t as homophobic, so I thought anyway. This kind of depressed me for quite awhile, even on the way home from the movie it bothered me. I wanted to kill them. To top it off the movie itself was slightly homophobic, with around 3 uses of the word “homo” and 1 or 2 of “faggot,” all used as insults. It also had a couple of “This is so gay” type remarks in it. It’s not like I counted them, it was just easy to remember around how many times each was said. I don’t think the movie would have come off as that homophobic had it not been for the eeeew’s the audience groaned out, which just made it all seem that much more mean-spirited.

“Just Friends” is like a mix of “Surviving Christmas,” “Garden State,” and “Bad Santa,” except not as good as any of them, especially “Garden State,” which it doesn’t even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as. I know I probably sound like I hated this movie, but I did actually find it to be “OK” overall. Anna Faris (the only cast member’s performance worth mentioning) was in it quite a bit and I enjoyed it whenever she was, but when she wasn’t the focus of attention I wasn’t really into it or laughing at all. It was a real disappointment when in the third act her character disappears for pretty much the rest of the movie (except for one more scene toward the end), which is when the movie really got hard to endure.

I’m sure mainstream audiences will love “Just Friends,” but the rest of us who don’t think seeing Ryan Reynolds get constantly injured sounds really funny aren’t as likely. Unless you enjoy movies like this, I’d recommend even the biggest Anna Faris fans to “just wait for DVD” for “Just Friends,” I know I wish I had.

Grade: 6/10 (C+)

Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:55 pm
Commander and Chef

A

Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:16 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

laughed my head off.

A

You said the same thing about The 40 Year Old Virgin. What does this mean? It is probably boring and unoriginal. The humor is derivative and stupid. And I'll hate it. ;)

Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:28 am
College Boy Z

It's hard not to like this movie, even a little.

Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:10 am
Commander and Chef

bABA wrote:
laughed my head off.

A

You said the same thing about The 40 Year Old Virgin. What does this mean? It is probably boring and unoriginal. The humor is derivative and stupid. And I'll hate it. ;)

well .. i love this type of movie ... and yes, i believe its made by the same people. I personally fifnd this type of humor to be intelligent so ... : )

40 year old virgin is still the best i've seen this year.

Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:01 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Excusing the same ol' "guy wants girl" story, it's very funny in most places. Ryan Reynolds and Anna Faris are great in the film, especially Faris. She steals the movie, as always. Chris Marquette was funny as Ryan's brother. And I love anything Fred Ewanuick does (Hank from "Corner Gas", for any Canadians). Amy Smart is the weak link in the film, and really does nothing to elevate herself above the role she's in. See, Ryan has the typical role for a guy in a romantic comedy, but he really makes the role his own and does a great job. Chris Klein isn't anything special either.

Sure, it's the same story we've seen a million times, but the film does its best to make the audience laugh and succeeds quite a few times. Grade: B

Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:32 pm
Extraordinary

As I mentioned above - it was okay - but I completely forgot about this movie 3 days after seeing it. I was discussing what movies I'd seen last week and it slipped my mind completely. With this lapse oin short-term memory, I seriously doubt it will make it to long term memory...

Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:48 pm
Team Kris

Anna Faris is bound to get awards some day. The best thing about the movie.

Pretty standard, formulaic comedy but I enjoyed it.

B

Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:17 am
Extraordinary

Not my kind of comedy. Way over the top. The jokes weren't intelligent and fell flat. Why kept using the dumb easy laugh of man getting hit on the groin or person slipping on the floor? Nothing inventive. The production value is quite low too. C-.

Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:18 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

The best thing about the movie is Ryan Reynolds, hands down. Give this guy a fantastic script, and he could easily become Jim Carrey of 10 years ago or even Bill Murray of 20 years ago. In a lot of scenes, he reminded me of the both of them.

The thing is though, the script is there, it's just that all of the scenes that make his character look like less of an ass are left on the cutting room floor (Watch the Deleted Scenes on the DVD). I'm not exactly sure why the film had to be rushed to the 90 minute mark, but another 15-20 minutes would've benefited the film tremendously.

On the plus side though the film is very funny, especially the relationship between Reynolds and his brother along with Anna Farris.

Here's my slight problem though. I'm not sure if I exactly buy the ending. It's nice that the two end up together, but I don't think they should've ended up together. It would've been nice to see a little unpredictability in the film. Only a minor complaint for me though.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:05 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

It wasn’t all that hilarious or funny, it just had its very fun moments that’s all, but overall pretty enjoyable flick

Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:16 am
Devil's Advocate

Truthfully, one of the bigger disappointments of the year for me. I blind bought it, because usually this is exactly the kind've movie I'm in to. But I don't know, it just didn't click with me that much. It never was gut-busting or anything for me, it ran slightly slow, but the biggest problem was that it just seemed so ordinary. Like I've seen this movie so many times before, I knew exactly what was going to happen. It played to me like a extremely poor man's There's Something About Mary. Like Chris Klein's character for example, the twist with him was obvious from the second I saw him. The movie also seemed slightly one-dimensial. Bleh. You win some, you lose some I guess. Domino lived up to the rental hype, this didn't.

Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next