Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Rambo 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 9 ]
B 42%  42%  [ 10 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 24

Rambo 
Extraordinary

Post Rambo
Rambo

Quote:
Rambo (also known as Rambo IV or John Rambo) is a 2008 American action/war film starring Sylvester Stallone returning and reprising his famous role as legendary Cold War/Vietnam veteran John Rambo. Stallone also co-wrote and directed the film. It is the fourth and most recent installment in the Rambo franchise, twenty years since the last film Rambo III. This film is dedicated to the memory of Richard Crenna, who played Col. Sam Trautman in the first three films, who died in 2003.

The film is about a former U.S. soldier, John Rambo, who is hired by a church pastor to help rescue a group of missionaries who were kidnapped by men from a brutal Burmese military regime. Rambo holds the record with the most kills out of the entire Rambo series, with 236 kills. In the film, Rambo kills a group of pirates, an entire squad of Burmese soldiers, and then, at the climax of the film, a huge number of Burmese army soldiers whom he shoots with a jeep-mounted .50-caliber machine gun. Stallone justified this in a press conference by saying the violence in the film was to draw attention to the ongoing problems in Burma.

Including the intake of $41,368,619 in DVD sales, the film's total gross revenue is $154,611,774. The film had its cable television premiere on Spike TV on July 11, 2010. However, it was the extended cut that was broadcast not the theatrical version. The extended cut was later released on Blu-ray two weeks after its cable TV premiere.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Rambo
Just got back from a 1pm showing. Not many people in there, but more than I would expect at this time of day, about 30-40 people. The trailers before hand, absolutely horrible.

On to the film: I have to say, I'm a big fan of Stallone. I've seen his great and most of his horrid as well. It's no Rocky Balboa, thats for sure, but its to the Rambo series, much like Balboa was to the Rocky series. It's a worthy entry, and if your a fan you should enjoy. But keep in mind, while its great edition, it isn't the Rambo of old. I have to give it Stallone, as I'll say this is the ballsiest film he has ever made. It's a relentless film that when it's all said and done, Stallone does a great job of showing that there are no good guys in war. In the older films, you could look at John Rambo as a victim, but ultimately a hero, espeically in the 2nd and 3rd film. In this one, surprisingly while Rambo's tactics have changed, his mental state has changed dramatically. This time around, he knows he's a terrible person, one that will never be forgiven for his sins, so he needs to come to terms with the one thing he knows how to do, kill. Rambo is the epitome of the world, as things do seem to change or evolve, they never really do change.

Onto the good:
Action- Even at 62, Stallone can still beliebably take people down. And its much better that he doesnt do it alone this time, teaming him with a band of mercenaries helps the skeptics even more. No Stallone vs. Helecopter this time around, or John McClane in LFODH Superhero type of Rambo.

Violence- Wow, all I can say. This is Saving Private Ryan Normandy invasion type of grittiness, with a hint of coolness to show you its still a movie. The siege of the town, and end is some truly horrific stuff. And when it comes to films like Live Free or Die Hard, and Terminator 3 favoring watering down for maximum bucks, Stallone laughs at them and shows the terrible violence of old with great, more realistic effects.

Score- The original score is back, tweaked of course, but still is very effective today.

Stallone- It's the Stallone of old, even with his bulkier frame and fatter face. Like Rocky, he knows Rambo and knows how he works. As a director he's fine, and the cinematography is very beautiful at times. I'm certainly looking forward to more of Stallone as a director/Actor again.

Humor- For the most part is gone, not that the Rambo films were really ever funny, but it lost certainly a lot of the Cheese and Camp the series had at times. I think this works a lot better with this series.

Onto the Not so Good
The running time- it looks like a good deal was cut. As it may say 93 minutes, it feels like there is little extra missing. Theres certainly stuff from the trailer that is gone, but I think it does flow pretty well though. Can't wait for a directors cut.
The seondary characters- Apart from Stallone, not much else is there. The Missionaries are for peace, the mercenaries for the most part are for themselves. But thats not a bad thing, its no worst then any other Rambo film.

Overall, in a world where smaller, younger, action stars are relying more on martial arts, Rambo shows he can still take with the rest of them. Fans of the series will be more than pleased, and it should bring in new fans as well. I also like the last scene of the film, which kind of brings the whole series full circle. And while it may not be as great or entertaining as LFODH, Rocky Balboa, or T3, thats understandable as the Rambo series was never as strong as them in the first place, but like them in Relation, its a worthy entry of a missed series.

A-/A

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:20 pm
George A. Romero

Wow! What a brutal and violent movie! Rambo is definitely an action movie with balls! One of the best action movies of the last few years.

A-

Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:02 pm

Someone delete the F, unless they step forward and actually saw it.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:15 pm

loyalfromlondon wrote:
Thegun wrote:

I loved it when it listed who voted what. :mad:

any hints (Like a name with just Initials)

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:31 pm
Superman: The Movie

I'll have my review up shortly.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:26 pm
Profile WWW
child of the 80's

Who the fcuk gave it an F? What are we, Yahoo Reviews, or something?

This movie is a grade A material, especially the final scene. :thumbsup:

Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:04 pm
child of the 80's

Thegun wrote:
...The trailers before hand, absolutely horrible.

I liked the trailer where a bunch of apemen went apeshit over Camilla Bell, I think it's a remake of 1000000 B.C. or something.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:28 pm
Superman: The Movie

http://www.worldofkj.com/articleIndex.php?tid=31291

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
child of the 80's

Enjoy

Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:41 am

dolemit3 wrote:
Enjoy

So John Rambo had 56 confirmed kills in an actual war, Vietnam, after the war, he has a confirmed 220 kills, for a combined total of 276 kills. That's probably the most a character has ever killed. After the one civilian he killed in the first film, he was sentenced to 8 years in prison, the other 275, he just moves on to different secluded areas. :thumbsup:

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:16 am
child of the 80's

I can't believe she gets to play a devout Christian:

Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:34 am
Extraordinary

Thegun wrote:
So John Rambo had 56 confirmed kills in an actual war, Vietnam, after the war, he has a confirmed 220 kills, for a combined total of 276 kills. That's probably the most a character has ever killed. After the one civilian he killed in the first film, he was sentenced to 8 years in prison, the other 275, he just moves on to different secluded areas. :thumbsup:

I'm gonna argue that Rambo didn't kill Galt in First Blood.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:47 am
Romosexual!

If you like guns tearing up people in all kinds of ways, than this is your movie.

:guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: out of :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:

A

Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:49 am
child of the 80's

Rev wrote:
If you like guns tearing up people in all kinds of ways, than this is your movie.

:guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: out of :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:

A

I guess you took one :guns: out because they kill dogs in there too. Cruelty against animals is a big no no.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:56 am

Yeah We forgot about dogs, he killed what was it 3 in First Blood and 3 hear, also a chicken in Part II

So 7 animal kills as well

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:05 am
Indiana Jones IV

Badass movie. Incessantly violent, loads of fun and features more hard-core action mayhem than you can shake a stick at. Sylvester Stallone was excellent, and the film truly showed that Rambo can still kill a WHOLE FUCKING LOT OF PEOPLE in his old age. The carnage is taken to unprecedented levels in this film- people are literally blown apart and turned into chunks of meat. The last twenty minutes or so had my audience and I cheering, whooping, and laughing our asses off. The black-and-white flashback to Rambo's early days was entirely appropriate and welcome. The ending is perfect as well. Mr. Stallone, you've created a wonderful conclusion to the John Rambo saga. Bravo, sir. A-

Last edited by rolandka19 on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:23 am

loyalfromlondon wrote:
Thegun wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:
Thegun wrote:

I loved it when it listed who voted what. :mad:

any hints (Like a name with just Initials)

No, I loved it when it listed names. It doesn't anymore.

Just the names, still didn't tell who voted what.

EDIT: Not in mood, so slight rant about F's removed.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:31 am
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Now this is what I call an action movie!! Not the friendly PG-13 kind that we have accustomed to seeing, but with the hard R rating. Seriously, this is one of the bloodiest movies I have ever seen.(more bloody than all the Saw films, Hostel, ect). Is there anything better than seeing John Rambo decapitate some poor bastard and then hop onto a massive machine gun and mow down the entire Burmese army? I think not. I know this may sound nuts, but I hope he makes another one.

I must also state that I saw this in a Marcus Ultrascreen and the sound was amazing. It was by far the loudest movie I have ever been in. You could feel the bass move through your body, it was awesome.

A

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:13 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Very brutal. The civilian kills were just too grotesque to watch. My only gripes were some of the build up were little choppy and that the part about rescuing the missionary seems rather forced when a few of the villagers got left behind. But like some of the reviews here said that the gore level was in the same bracket as Passion of the Christ. One more thing to add is DAMNIT why did they have to have that asian american killed off? thats like one of those rules about the black guy being killed off in horror films

B+

Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:21 pm
Commander and Chef

it takes a 62 year old man to come, direct, write and star in a film to show these film makers today how a good old fashion FUN action flick is made.

B+/A-

Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Surprisingly, it's not the train wreck I expected.

It just looked so bad, but it turned out to be good and it's really bad ass at times. And by "at times," I mean in the last third. Everything leading up to it bored me to death.

This could have been so much worse, though, so props to Stallone.

**1/2

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:12 am
Stanley Cup

went with a few bodies hammered. Loved it. Walked out with an erection.

B+

Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:56 pm
Veteran

B-. Serious props to Stallone. While some of it is dull, I was entertained through out, if it werent for the finale the grade would be lower. It's pretty kick ass, and brutual, a bit to much at times but still, much better than I thought.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:44 pm
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

B

words can not describe how brutal this film gets after John Rambo gets the mini gun / anti aircraft gun.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next