Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 El orfanato [The Orphanage] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
B 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

El orfanato [The Orphanage] 

Post El orfanato [The Orphanage]
The Orphanage

Quote:
The Orphanage (Spanish: El Orfanato) is a 2007 Spanish-Mexican horror film and the debut feature of Spanish filmmaker J.A. Bayona. The film stars Belén Rueda as Laura, Fernando Cayo as her husband, Carlos, and Roger Príncep as their adopted son Simón. The plot centers on Laura, who returns to her childhood home, an orphanage. Laura plans to turn the house into a home for disabled children, but a problem arises when she and Carlos realize that Simón believes he has a masked friend named Tomás with whom he will run away. After an argument with Laura, Simón is found to be missing.

The film's script was written by Sergio G. Sánchez in 1996 and brought to the attention of Bayona in 2004. Bayona asked his long-time friend, director Guillermo del Toro, to help produce the film and to double its budget and filming time. Bayona wanted the film to capture the feel of 1970s Spanish cinema; he cast Geraldine Chaplin and Belén Rueda, who were later praised for their roles in the film.

The film opened at the Cannes Film Festival on May 20, 2007. It received critical acclaim from audiences in its native Spain, winning seven Goya awards. On its North American release, The Orphanage was praised by English speaking critics, who described the film as well directed and acted, and noted the film's lack of "cheap scares". New Line Cinema bought the rights to the film for an American remake.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: El Orfanato [The Orphanage]
This was very average. It sort of reminded me of The Others, but worse.
I think they tried to make this into something that was smarter and more tasteful than your average haunted horror, but it neither succeeded on that higher level nor on the average horror scares and stuff.
But still, it had some moments. It's better than 95% of the horror crap released within the last few years, but I still won't give it higher than a C

Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:58 am
You must have big rats

I liked it a lot and it's one of the better horror films of 2007. That just goes on to show that 2007 had many good horror movies, it's just that most of them were either not from the US or just not mainstream and widely released (The Orphanage, Fido, Hatchet, Wind Chill, Severance, Behind the Mask: Rise of Leslie Vernon and others come to my mind).

The Orphanage is a very classic haunting tale with a solid lead performance and a surprisingly good, yet believable twist at the end. It might be a bit slow from time to time and the ending is nothing you haven't seen before (I mean the very ending, not the twist) which is a bit disappointing, but it takes its time with the characters and delivers some very creepy and suepenseful moments (like the old woman after the car hit her or the disfigured boy attacking Laura and pushing her into the bathroom). It's very old school and finely-made horror, unveiling its secrets slowly, but surely. I think fans of good ghost stories should like it. For my part, I liked it more than The Others!

Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Fans of old-school horror movies should try and seek it out in theatres as long as it's playing somewhere next to them. It's certainly better than most of the horror films released last year!

Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

I pretty much feel the same as Lecter. Its a very well made movie with some creepy moments.
I really liked the twist, it was very unexpected (the way the kid was killed). At first i hated when Simon came back to life but when i realized Laura was dead everything was cool and i liked it. :P

Fans of slow and haunting horror movies should see it. Its very good.

B+

Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:16 am
Forum General

Yeah, it had some good, creepy moments, and I liked the ending, but most of it felt like a retread to me. Nothing we haven't seen before.

B-

Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:37 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

THE ORPHANAGE - 7/10 ( B )

A very good movie. My rating is almost close to a B+. It was creepy but also moving and the lead was great.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:02 am
You must have big rats

More of you should rent this and see it. :)

Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

:wacko: Just saw this last night and until I read the posts in this thread, I didn't realize the mother or Simon were dead at the end. How the hell did I miss that???

Overall, I thought the movie was pretty pedestrian in light of the hype, but now I don't know if that criticism is valid since a major plot point obviously soared right over my head. :disgust:

Tue May 06, 2008 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

I didn't buy the ending.
I didn't buy that the mother accidentally locked her son in the room.
I didn't buy that after hours of being locked, that boy didn't scream for help.
And if he did, I didn't buy that the mother didn't hear his scream.
And if she did, I didn't buy that she couldn't find where the scream came from.
Not mention the searching of the police.

It's not impossible, absolutely not. It could happen. Bad things happen all the time. This movie just failed to convince me. All leads to the thought that this depressing ending is really forced. I know, they have to end this like this to make the emotional impact. I just didn't buy it.

Fortunately (enough?), that was my only issue with this movie. And think again, it might not be a movie's fault but mine. Because if you ask me, I really don't know what would be the better ending. But issue is still an issue. And even with that ending, 'The Orphanage' is still a great, well-made horror film. Besides the ending, everything else was great. The overall mood, the tone was top-notch (thanks to the great cinematography and great directing). The acting was fine all around. Especially, the actress who plays the mother role, totally convincing.

And the imaginary scene (after the twist) was totally off. And this is absolutely not my fault. What is it for, btw. To make us feel better? I now realize, I might like the ending better if wasn't with this scene.

All in all, the movie was really great. Well, before the last 10 minutes, at least.

B+

Tue May 06, 2008 8:39 pm
The Wall

7/10 -> B-

While I find it predictable and the whole ending a bit frivolous, it does have strong atmosphere and good acting for the most part.

The scene I liked the most was when the medium is trying to communicate with dead. At first it really looked goofy with it's Ghost Hunters imagery, but when the scene started to roll out it had a feeling of chill and uneasiness throughout.

The Others, practically also a Spanish horror with a (mostly) English cast, was a much superb effort in a haunted house genre.

Fri May 30, 2008 3:31 am
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

great flick. up there with The Others.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:54 am
Star Trek XI

Disappointing to me. I had heard great things about this one but in the end killing yourself so you can be with your son and old childhood friends is not quite the ending I like.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

A

I loved the hell out of it... and yes, I was a wreck at the end.

Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:45 am
loyalfromlondon

I thought it was a big bore.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:27 am
Horror Hound

A

Terrifying.

Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:52 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

It's downright awful, actually.

Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:52 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Belen Rueda is really good in it. Other than that, it's nothing more than average entertainment.

Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:20 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Post Re: El orfanato [The Orphanage]
A very spooky tale about how tragedy leads to more tragedy. Didn't love the ending, but the movie is still very strong.

B+

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]