Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Planet Terror 

What grade would you give this film?
A 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Planet Terror 

Post Planet Terror
Planet Terror

Quote:
Planet Terror is a 2007 American action horror film written and directed by Robert Rodriguez, about a group of people attempting to survive an onslaught of zombie-like creatures as they feud with a military unit, including a go-go dancer searching for a way to use her "useless talents." The film, a tribute to the zombie film genre, stars Rose McGowan, Freddy Rodriguez, Josh Brolin, Marley Shelton, Naveen Andrews, Michael Biehn, Jeff Fahey, Stacy Ferguson and Bruce Willis. Planet Terror was released theatrically in North America as part of a double feature with Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof under the title Grindhouse in order to replicate the experience of viewing exploitation films in a "grindhouse" theater.

Planet Terror was released on April 6, 2007, and ticket sales were significantly below box office analysts' expectations, despite mostly positive reviews. In much of the rest of the world, each feature was released separately, with Planet Terror and Death Proof screened in extended versions. Two soundtracks were also released for the features and include music and audio snippets from the film. The film released separately in international theatrical markets, and on DVD in the United States and Canada on October 23, 2007.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:44 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Post Re: Planet Terror
10/10 -> A

I loved the movie. One of the best of 2007. There's a topic about Grindhouse, but I still haven't seen Death Proof so I didn't want to rate Grindhouse as a double feature judging by Planet Terror only...

Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:56 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

By Itself, its just as awesome, like Death Proof its a stand alone film. But this one certainly has more rewatchability.

Solid A

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:12 pm
Stanley Cup

the best part of the grindhouse

A-

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:32 pm
College Boy Z

The better half of Grindhouse, but still somewhat disappointing, I'd say.

It kicks ass...but not hard.

**½

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:35 pm
Teh Mexican

It was very VERY dumb but its great fun.

B+

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:32 pm
You must have big rats

I liked Death Proof, probably than most people on here. It was a decent flick. But it just can't hold a candle to the sheer entertainment that Planet Terror offers. From what I know about the 70s Grindhouse films, Planet Terror captures their essence perfectly and delivers an absolutely over-the-top, joyful ride. I was into it from the very beginning till the very end and it really reminded me of From Dusk Till Down. It's a similar kind of a pure fun horror flick, just a tad trashier. It's also the best movie Robert Rodriguez has made since From Dusk Till Down, yes even better than Sin City, in my opinion. All actors did well here, doing what they were supposed to do. Rose McGowan made a great lead, Freddie Rodriguez a good action hero "with a shady past" and so on. I just wasn't really sure about the subplot about Marley Shelton and Josh Brolin as her husband, Dr. Block. By the way, the scene in which Shelton's character breaks her finger is probably the most cringeworthy in the whole film and that despite many gross-out scenes. Probably because it feel more real than the others.

Speaking of gross-out, the film DEFINITELY delivered the goods in the blood 'n gore department. Seriously, at some point, I could hardly believe they actually got through the MPAA with showing some of this stuff.

Bruce Willis is sadly underused here and I must say that the film's marketing was a little misleading as half of the trailer that I have seen consisted of Cherry blowing up stuff with her leg-gun, whereas in the actual film she only gets it in the final quarter of the film and spends a total of five minutes using it. But oh what great five minutes these are!

To put it in a nutshell, Planet Terror is one of the most entertaining films I have seen in 2007, delivering on its promise completely, unlike (as I felt) Death Proof. It's also one of the best horror movies of 2007 (a year that was rather solid as far as horror films go). Rodriguez should do more films like this and From Dusk till Dawn and never return to kiddie stuff like Spy Kids. He's just much better at this!

Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]