Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 First Sunday 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

First Sunday 

Post First Sunday
First Sunday

Quote:
First Sunday is a 2008 American comedy film from Screen Gems, written, produced and directed by David E. Talbert, and is his first feature film.

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: First Sunday
0 reviews?
Dude, we need more black people.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:30 am
Stanley Cup

well i mean excel claims he's black

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:48 am
I'm Batman

MovieDude used to be black. BJ is black I think. We're a pretty diverse community.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:37 am
Extraordinary

So....long story short: I saw First Sunday.

Honestly, I know everyone here automatically refuses to see this stuff because it's a poorly-reviewed Urban comedy, but it's better than a lot of the poorly-reviewed-white comedies you see (like Chuck & Larry).
Tracy Morgan is awesome, as usual. Writing was pretty terrible except for a few moments, but te cast made it work.

C-/D+

Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:24 am
He didn't look busy?!

Lol, this is such a black person's movie. I saw this with my two friends - one Asian and one Persian (I'm white) - and out of like thirty people, we were the only ones who weren't black.

We were also the only ones who weren't laughing. It's a conventional "urban movie." A lot of cheap one-liners, a remarkably simple story, an unnecessarily big moral lesson at the end, a lot of hitting-you-on-the-head-with-Christianity bits, and characters who simply needed to not be extremely stupid if they wanted to avoid the situation they were in.

The one good thing about it is that Ice Cube's got some solid charisma as an actor. And that didn't do very much to help this film out.

D

Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Artie the One-Man Party

billybobwashere wrote:
Lol, this is such a black person's movie. I saw this with my two friends - one Asian and one Persian (I'm white) - and out of like thirty people, we were the only ones who weren't black.

We were also the only ones who weren't laughing. It's a conventional "urban movie." A lot of cheap one-liners, a remarkably simple story, an unnecessarily big moral lesson at the end, a lot of hitting-you-on-the-head-with-Christianity bits, and characters who simply needed to not be extremely stupid if they wanted to avoid the situation they were in.

The one good thing about it is that Ice Cube's got some solid charisma as an actor. And that didn't do very much to help this film out.

D

:ninja: Imus, why didn't tell us you had an account on KJ?

Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:17 pm
He didn't look busy?!

for the record, I never say "LOL" except when thing's ARENT funny :funny:

LOL.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

It really isn't a racist thing to say if you ask me; there are no white people in the cast, it didn't get marketed on any channels that white people watch, and its humor/story/message were aimed at black audiences. I know this because the entire audience at my theater was black and completely loved it, whereas my friends and I didn't find it funny at all. There's really no other way to frame it.

it's just like saying that the Larry the Cable Guy movies are "redneck movies" and that horror films are "teen movies", etc...

Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I'm sure there's some wiggas who dropped some dough for First Sunday

Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:15 pm
He didn't look busy?!

loyalfromlondon wrote:
What are the channels that only white people watch? Like the Golfing network and Oxygen?
not channels that only white people watch...but all I know is that out of channels that people of all races watch, such as like ESPN and broadcast channels, there was nothing for First Sunday. I'm gonna bet that BET had some ads, because with no theatrical trailers, posters, or marketing on the usual channels, and considering everyone involved in this film, I can only imagine a few places where it would've been advertised at all.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I actually agree with you that this is catered towards the black community(though it is a bit crude to state it upfront like that), but there was marketing on most channels as far I could tell. It was very annoying.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:24 pm
He didn't look busy?!

Oh, well I didn't see any of it, just like I never end up seeing any advertising for Tyler Perry's movies despite their huge box office success. I thought it was a similar story here. I honestly hadn't even heard of this film until the Friday numbers came in.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

It really isn't me being racist, like, it just isn't. I know racist and I see it all the time (Los Angeles). All I know is that I watch ESPN and all the main broadcast channels and didn't see ANY advertising for this. I probably saw ten TV spots for The Bucket List and like twenty for Cloverfield, but I saw NOTHING for this. I hadn't even HEARD of it until its numbers came out, yet I knew about Cassandra's Dream (sub-$500K opening) for months. This really was my experience and I can't see how else it could've done so well. If it did have advertising on those channels, it sure as hell was too rare to constitute an $18 million OW [just a little bit less than The Golden Compass's].

Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

And moving on......

I saw the film because I had three hours of time on my hands, nothing else worked time wise, and James Berardinelli gave it two and a half stars, so I had hope. I gotta say that it did beat my expectations slightly. While it is by no means a great film, I thought the film was funny enough and dramatic enough (surprisingly the dramatic scenes are more effective than the comedic) to be passable. I liked Ice Cube and Tracy Morgan. The film is tailor-made to their strengths and although both could do better, they're good here. I especially liked the scenes with Cube and his son (so I'm a sucker, sue me).

If I have two complaints they would be that I wish the film was a little more comedy oriented and the ending. The comedy isn't a real big deal, but I was kind of surprised that once the film enters the church, there aren't a lot of laughs. It's not that the jokes fail, it's just that the film kind of plays it straight and in some parts it kind of hurts it. And although I'm not a big Katt Williams fan and think this is the best thing he's done, I think he was kind of underused here. It seems they couldn't find a happy medium between the nice Katt and the dirty one. As for the ending, I wasn't expecting much, but the cookie-cutter everything's fine and dandy ending was a little too lazy for me.

But I think I kind of liked it though. I went in with the lowest of expectations and I ended up kind of liking it.

**½

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:22 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

So it's actually not that bad. It manages to be pretty funny, mostly thanks to Tracy Morgan. Ice Cube does well, and Kat Williams is barely funny at all in this. A pretty average comedy, but it could have been worse, I guess.

Tue May 20, 2008 3:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]