Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 One Missed Call (2008) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 9

One Missed Call (2008) 

Post One Missed Call (2008)
One Missed Call

Quote:
One Missed Call is a 2008 American remake of the 2004 Japanese film Chakushin Ari. The film was released in North America on January 4, 2008 and was directed by Eric Valette and written by Andrew Klavan. The film stars Edward Burns and Shannyn Sossamon. It was produced and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: One Missed Call [2008]
I'm sorry to whoever see this :P

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:38 pm
Profile YIM
Orphan

thompsoncory wrote:
I'm sorry to whoever see this :P

I'm going to :D

Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:12 pm
Stanley Cup

my sister is seeing this tonight. i'm disgusted.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:16 pm
Commander and Chef

people who watch such films after seeing the advert should be tickled to death

Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:04 am
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

The two people who gave this piece of shit an A please do the world a favor and choke to death on your cell phone.

This is a film that shoud never have been made. The original Japanese version blew chunks so who in their right mind would expect a watered down pg-13 americanized version to be any better? I don't know who/what the target audience is for this is, maybe 12yr old girls hopped up on ritalin or crack, but it's not for horror fans. This had to be the least suspenseful, least scary, least engaging horror film ever made (And I've seen almost all of last years horrorfest atrocities). The story was poorly concieved and constructed with acting that was non-existant while the special effex were lame and laughable.

This is one call that you should definately not answer.

Here's to starting the year off on an extremely low note

Grade F--- bordering on the G/H range of failure

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:27 pm
Commander and Chef

The Mr Pink wrote:
The two people who gave this piece of shit an A please do the world a favor and choke to death on your cell phone.

This is a film that shoud never have been made. The original Japanese version blew chunks so who in their right mind would expect a watered down pg-13 americanized version to be any better? I don't know who/what the target audience is for this is, maybe 12yr old girls hopped up on ritalin or crack, but it's not for horror fans. This had to be the least suspenseful, least scary, least engaging horror film ever made (And I've seen almost all of last years horrorfest atrocities). The story was poorly concieved and constructed with acting that was non-existant while the special effex were lame and laughable.

you say all that shit, and then proceed to go see it.

i'm not sure who i should throw a shoe at.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:33 pm
Profile WWW

bABA wrote:
The Mr Pink wrote:

I get paid to see movies :cool: so therefore I see almost everything. If I had to pay then I would've definately stayed far, far, far, far away from this piece of shit.

So cast your shoe to the saps who paid to see this.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:25 pm
Commander and Chef

The Mr Pink wrote:
bABA wrote:
The Mr Pink wrote:

I get paid to see movies :cool: so therefore I see almost everything. If I had to pay then I would've definately stayed far, far, far, far away from this piece of shit.

Ooooh! You a critic too!?!?

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:09 pm
Profile WWW

bABA wrote:
The Mr Pink wrote:
bABA wrote:
The Mr Pink wrote:

Ooooh! You a critic too!?!?

Only in my mind, and on the internet.
If I could actually write then maybe I'd give it a go. I manage a movie theatre, hence the getting paid to see them part, and have been in the business long enough to acquire some contacts that allow me to see films (for free) my theatre doesn't get. I'm willing to see anything at least once, regardless of quality or genre.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:16 am

This movie is a pure winner, just one review after a week. Off you go from stickies!

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Nebs wrote:
This movie is a pure winner, just one review after a week. Off you go from stickies!

:funny:

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:16 pm
The Wall

3/10 -> D-

There are horrors that stink more than this one, but still it's one hell of a smell. I don't think Japanese version is much better as usually. There is just no way this plot and the preposterous twists could work no matter what they tweak and how they tweak it.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

Its just your typical predictible horror movie with a lame ass ending but ive seen far worse. It was just fun with a few jumps here and there.

C

Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:12 am
Speed Racer

WOW I agree with Mr. Pink on this,,, this is shit

Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:22 pm
College Boy Z

Post Re: One Missed Call (2008)
Oh, God.

F

(Don't bother asking "why do you watch these, Zingaling?", I realize I bring it upon myself, thanks.)

Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:14 am
why so serious?

"Why don't they just take the battery out of the phone?"

"Oh, you know what my favorite part was? Brr-ing, brr-ing Um, hello? (*dies*)" ;)

Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:27 am
You must have big rats

C-

Okay, so, I didn't hate it. It's obviously not a good movie and not a scary one either, but I liked some things in it to a certain degree. First of all, the cat being dragged under water and the demon baby screaming were hilarious. I literally laughed outloud in the theatre. I also thought that the deformed faces of the people before dying were a nice touch by the makers. The film also sometimes showed tiny hints of an atomosphere.

Overall, though? FAILURE. It's certainly more funny than scary and the ending is pretty idiotic. I've seen Miike's original and frankly both are very similar films as far as their plots go. So how the hell did the original turn out to be so scary at times (it's not a great horror film, but very effective in parts), yet the remake lost all the scares and became so ridiculous despite having an amost identical plot. I guess that speaks volumes of Miike as a director.

PS: Two A's?!

Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

It's not scary, it didn't make much sense (the ending especially), the church scene is borderline offensive, and I laughed way too often (the dead people weren't scary to look at - they just seemed surprised). The only thing this film has going for it is that it's almost creepy when they wind up at the abandoned hospital. It's of course ruined by the charred body stalking her through the vent and the final 15 minutes that come after it.

Dumb question though. Why were they all insistant on picking up their cell phones? After the two female leads both sense a pattern is developing and after both of their cell phones ring without a battery inside them, they both still pick up the phone. If they didn't pick up and listen to how they would and or will die, would there be a threat still? Then again you don't have a movie if they don't pick up so there you go.

It's been said a couple of times before in this thread and I'll say it once again since it so accurately describes what I just saw. It's a shit film.

1/2*

Ed Burns, that's two in a row for you. What do you have lined up next? At least I hope you got enough money to produce your next indpendent film. I'm hoping it's better than what you've been in so far this year.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:59 am
Profile WWW
Horror Hound

I just watched this after buying it for £2.50 the other day.

1/5.

Shannyn Sossamon isn't a terribly good actress, is she?

Actually, no one involved in this film is.

Anyway, that's not my only problem.

There is 0 suspense. No tension. No build up to any climax worth waiting for. Theres only 1 bloody "BOO" scare for god sake. and that's usually what these PG13 J-horror remakes rely on. It's so unrealistic because the actors all seem that they have their next line prepared in their heads before the other person has finished speaking. The hospital scene was reminiscent of Fear Dot Com and other atrocities. The final scene was pretty cool, which lasted a whole 2, maybe 3, minutes.

And Shannyn's character managed to get from her dorm to the train station in the space of 2 lines of conversation, wtf?

Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]