Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 La meglio gioventù [The Best of Youth] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0

La meglio gioventù [The Best of Youth] 
College Boy Z

Post La meglio gioventù [The Best of Youth]
The Best of Youth

Quote:
The Best of Youth (Italian: La meglio gioventù), is a 2003 Italian film directed by Marco Tullio Giordana. Originally planned as a four-part mini-series, it was presented at the 2003 Cannes Film Festival where it won the prestigious Un Certain Regard award. It was then given a theatrical release in Italy in two three-hour parts in which 40 minutes were edited out. The complete version was aired in Italy from December 7 to 15, 2003 on Rai Uno in four parts.

In the U. S., the film was screened in several cities in two three-hour parts. The two-disc DVD of the film is similarly divided.

Giordana, who directed a film about the suspicious circumstances surrounding the death of poet and director Pier Paolo Pasolini, again paid tribute to the director in this film, as its title comes from a Pasolini poem. The film falls within the tradition of several Italian films that cover expansive times of Italian history through the story of one family, such as Rocco and His Brothers and The Leopard.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:42 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: La meglio gioventù [The Best of Youth]
It's really more than just a good story - It's life on screen. Characters grow up, fall in and out of love, become old, meet new life-long aquantinces, die, and go through the years bit by bit, and and it's all the more affecting because you're right there with them experiencing it together. You feel like you know these people, like you've lived with them through these decades. They feel like your own family.

It's remarkable because the plotline is by regular standards, unremarkable. It's a 6 hour mega-epic about a few people's lives (although, it also touches on the social and political landscape of Italy over the last 40 years). Most of the events are completley normal for people living day to day. As well, the film is shot in as seemingly basic fashion - There's no extra style or flashy direction, the story is completley told by the people on screen. And yet, it's completley engrossing, entertaining, and simply beautiful.

The acting is spot on from every member of the huge ensemble, every character feels completley real and believable. The dialogue is always interesting and intriguing. And despite shooting in basic style, Italy still looks and feels completley beautiful. The country, the buildings, and of course, the women.

Great, great movie. I can understand the length scares people, but it's really worth a watch. It's one of the best foreign films I've seen anytime recently(normally not a fan), or hell... ever.

5/5

Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:52 am
Team Kris

Italian melodrama at its finest. That's a good thing in my book. Epic in scope, intimate in execution.

Also,
Spoiler: show
I was pretty shocked when one of the leads leaped off his apartment balcony, halfway through the film. Wow.
:ohmy:

I actually thought this was long because it was originally a miniseries... I don't know where I heard that.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:36 pm
Team Kris

I really need to view this again (saw it through Netflix several months ago...) as the names escape me, as well as some minor plotlines (little sister growing up...)

Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]