Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem 

What grade would you give this film?
A 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
B 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
F 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 16

Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem 
You must have big rats

Post Re: Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem
B

I liked the first one and this one's pretty much on par. Just mindless, stupid fun entertainment. It improves on some flaws of the first film, yet gets worse in other aspects sadly. I mean, at least this time they got some things right that are true to the series like the necessary gore and more brutal aliens/predator action here. But Gulli is absolutely correct when he says that if the director knew how to shoot good action this would have been infinitely better.

The thing is that there was potential for some really great action/chase/fight scenes here and the director kinda blew it by making it as little spectacular as possible. Seriously, is it really THAT HARD to make a movie ust about aliens and predators kicking each other asses?!?! I mean Freddy vs. Jason was quite great in succeeding as far as having legendary horror villains facing off, but somehow the makers of this franchise just can't get it right.

Usually I'm a fan of such "small Midwestern town under attack" films (see Slither or Tremors), but this one just never made it exciting enough or fun enough. The characters are clichéd just as you'd expect and there are some funny moments too. The final Predalien/Predator fight rocks and I loved that they have shown the Predator home planet. The gore was very finely made too, I just wish more of this had been in broad daylight, but the action was just too low-key in the end.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

You know, when I don't so much as even have a desire to see this, that's saying ALOT considering how much I enjoyed Paul "The Man" Anderson's version..

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:17 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

What an atrocious, boring-as-hell piece of shit! One of the year's worst. Makes the first Alien vs. Predator seem really good. I hope they don't make another. Who in the world would fall for it a third time around?

2/10 (F)

Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:46 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Mike wrote:
What an atrocious, boring-as-hell piece of shit! One of the year's worst. Makes the first Alien vs. Predator seem really good. I hope they don't make another. Who in the world would fall for it a third time around?

2/10 (F)

Apparently, Hollywood is bringing in another AVP flick, this time set in space..

Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:53 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

aliens vs predator 2

I thought this is how an action film needs to be. Carnage and mayhem and people surviving in the end. Now, I just finished watching the rental unrated version so I don't know how that compared to the theatrical ver. Now, it would be great to get into more background of the Predator or would it. I think that would kill the mystique of the predator so even though they are just badass space safari hunters that's just perfectly fine with me. I liked how the film really showcased all the skills and tools or the predator in this one as compared to the first avp which I wasn't to thrilled about after watching but this one was much more exciting. I guess anything ending in the total wipe of the town could be cool. We also got to see how viral the aliens are when they are out in the open with nothing to stop them. Even one predator can't deal with 50 to a hundred aliens by himself. Impossible. Overall, I liked the action ALOT, didn't much for any of the humans which is probably the only thing really lacking although it was cool to see the CTU director kicking butt as well. I think she could have been the focus for the humans instead of the high school teen.

grade - A fantastic action/stuntwork/visual gore

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:00 am
loyalfromlondon

Why is it so hard to make a sufficiently gory, fun, schlocky AVP movie?

I mean, I'm not looking for anything like the original or even the second Alien movies. I'm not even looking for the first Predator. I just want a B-movie done right, with ridiculous action scenes and stock stereotypes and loads of gore. And I thought they were on the right track with this movie.

But the directors are so woefully incompetent that they don't even know how to shoot an action sequence properly, so instead we get a ton of uncomfortable close-ups with minimal lighting and disorienting editing. The film was so dark I wasn't even sure what I was looking at half the time, and the titular fights aren't much better than the first, despite the added gore, simply because they're shot so poorly.

The story is suitably bad and pointless, as it should be little more than an excuse to show interesting fighting spots between the two creatures. But it falters in thinking we should care about these characters. Do we care that Dallas was arrested for something involving Kelly? Do we care that Ricky gets picked on at school and has a crush on the hot girl? Do we care that the sheriff is way out of his league? No. All we want to see is some bad-ass action. And the film can't even deliver that, seemingly the easiest of cinematic feats.

Basically the film suffers under the weight of its B-movie potential. There's scenes like where the aliens emerge from the sewers and enter the town that is satisfying because finally - finally - these creatures have entered our civilization. But nothing's done with it. The PredAlien is a brilliant idea that's never fully realized. Same with the hospital hive. The film spends too much time on the humans and not enough on the creatures we paid to see, and thus fails to deliver on its R-rated promise. Too bad.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:44 pm
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

I didn't think it was as bad as most, it was still very far from good though.

C-

Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2