Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Love in the Time of Cholera 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Post Love in the Time of Cholera

Quote:
Love in the Time of Cholera is a 2007 film directed by Mike Newell. Based on the novel of the same name by Gabriel García Márquez, it tells the story of a love triangle between Fermina Daza (played by Giovanna Mezzogiorno) and her two suitors, Florentino Ariza (Javier Bardem) and Doctor Juvenal Urbino (Benjamin Bratt) which spans 50 years, from 1880 to 1930.

Producer Scott Steindorff spent over three years courting Gabriel García Márquez for the rights to the book telling him that he was Florentino and would not give up until he got the rights.

It is the first filming of a García Márquez novel by a Hollywood studio, rather than by Latin American or Italian directors.

It is the first English language work of Academy Award-nominated Brazilian actress Fernanda Montenegro, who portrays Tránsito Ariza.

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:40 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Post Re: Love in the Time of Cholera
4/10 -> D

Pity. This could've been a great movie. But it's crap for the most part. Lousy acting, lousy editing, the worst ageing make-up I've ever seen, the horrid accent (why didn't they make this movie in Spanish???? Or just plain old English?!?!?). The only good thing about the movie is Javier Bardem. But even he cannot fight the overall crapiness by himself.

Also Shakira's soundtrack is very nice. I didn't love it when I first heard it a month before. I actually hated it. But it fits perfect with the visual sequences in the movie.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]