Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 I Am Legend 

What grade would you give this film?
A 34%  34%  [ 16 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 19 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 7 ]
D 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 47

I Am Legend 
Veteran

Post Re: I Am Legend
billybobwashere wrote:
I don't think the ending was that bad, but it just didn't...well...fit with the rest of the movie.

Spoiler: show
Well first off, whatever happened to "The Last Man On Earth Is Not Alone"? What I liked so much about the movie was how well Smith carried himself alone and the effect it had on his character [the emotional trauma of having no company]. So why did we need some unknown and untalented woman and kid to join the script? Did the kid accomplish anything for the story? I realize that they needed her to carry his "cure" after he died, but maybe that problem shows that the idea should be that Neville lived alone, so he's going to die alone.

Plus, what I disliked most was how he had this new company join him RIGHT after Sam died, and the reason Sam was so special to him was because she was his only company...but now that the woman found him, it almost makes Sam's death not that big of a deal.

If they fixed that ending and gave it a more fitting closure, this would have gotten an A- from me.

Hopefully they have the original ending on the DVD.

Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:55 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I Am Legend was decent, though nothing special and definitely overrated. It starts off pretty good, but around the half hour mark starts to go down hill and doesn't really redeem itself until there is about thirty minutes left of the film. Still, it was decent and I'd recommend it to the majority of movie goers. Will Smith was good, though not great and definitely doesn't deserve any kind of Oscar recognition.

6/10 (B-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Squee

Squee wrote:

Now the real question would be, is the car they were driving at the end the same one they had in New York?

Question answered! Saw the movie again. When they first pick up Neville there is a rosary hanging from the read window. When they are driving to the colony there is no rosary on that rear window! Different cars! Keeps the boat theory IN TACT!

:glare:

Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:49 pm
He didn't look busy?!

I think it's funny how in the trailer, when Smith yells "NO! NOOO!!!!" it appears to be a very serious moment, whereas in the movie it's him yelling at the large doll, a moment that [I think] was made for humorous purposes.

Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

What a worthless piece of shit (that we've all seen 100 times before) this was. And god, they couldnt even figure out cool looking zombies/good CGI. Without Will Smith, this wouldn't have made 30 million. This really frustrates me...I was hoping to find at least one good blockbuster in 2007....but no. I guess it's back to indies and art (aka non sucky) cinema for me.

D+

Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:00 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

s snack wrote:
What a worthless piece of shit (that we've all seen 100 times before) this was. And god, they couldnt even figure out cool looking zombies/good CGI. Without Will Smith, this wouldn't have made 30 million. This really frustrates me...I was hoping to find at least one good blockbuster in 2007....but no. I guess it's back to indies and art (aka non sucky) cinema for me.

D+

:wacko:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:06 am

Snack, be careful your nose is at a dangerously high angle!

Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:02 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

D

I can't really stand Will Smith as an actor, especially when the first 75 minutes is just him and the dog.

Loved the dog, loved New York. However, this was a mediocre affair.

Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:09 am
Commander and Chef

Meh

I thought the film was great. Couple of plot holes here and there but really, half the shit people are complaining about (bad CGI and shit) ... really ..... go join a film elitist club.

The ending really .. i mean, if you give something happy, everyones like aww shit. you give a dark one and everyone complains that everyones doing it. really, i doubt any ending could make anyone happy.

I was hoping though that they would have spent a little time on this thing i noticed in the film. when the girl monster was kidnapped, the leader of that covenant came out. Neville interprets it as total dehumanization. I personally thought that that scene, along with the next set up for Neville with Fred and the consequential attack could have all been played up as 'basic understanding, reasoning and deductive thinking still inherent in the creatures'. sadly, the film ignored it. would have made the film excellent.

A-

and no .. i have neither read the book or know anything about it.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Magnus wrote:
My issue really is the last thirty minutes. It just was...arg. A complete mess to me.

A bad ending can really screw up an otherwise good, maybe even great, film. And this film is an example of this.

Like i said. its one of those films where any ending wouldn't have really been "oh gosh! Thats how i want it to end".

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

There is nothing wrong with the ending, nothing wrong with a sad one either but Meh, I can just go re-watch Dead Mans Letters if i choose dispair. Its nice to have choice in my apocalypse watching.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:48 pm
Commander and Chef

Gullimont wrote:
There is nothing wrong with the ending, nothing wrong with a sad one either but Meh, I can just go re-watch Dead Mans Letters if i choose dispair. Its nice to have choice in my apocalypse watching.

the dog sacrificed itself to save neville but then the next day, neville made new friends. optimus rocks

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

bABA wrote:
Gullimont wrote:

the dog sacrificed itself to save neville but then the next day, neville made new friends. optimus rocks

And then Neville sacrificed himself to save his new friends..........but it was ok because they quickly met new friends as well.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:53 pm
Commander and Chef

Gullimont wrote:
bABA wrote:
Gullimont wrote:

And then Neville sacrificed himself to save his new friends..........but it was ok because they quickly met new friends as well.

i'm telling you man. i was cracking up in the theater.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

Magnus wrote:
bABA wrote:
Like i said. its one of those films where any ending wouldn't have really been "oh gosh! Thats how i want it to end".

Acually, if it ended more like the book, I would have been more than happy. If Neville actually WAS the last man on earth, and realized that there is no use, and gives in to nature and dies, destroying the human race. I would have been estatic with that.

And I wouldn't have been. That's his point I believe.

Any ending would have been split in judgment.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:06 pm
Commander and Chef

Magnus wrote:
bABA wrote:

Acually, if it ended more like the book, I would have been more than happy. If Neville actually WAS the last man on earth, and realized that there is no use, and gives in to nature and dies, destroying the human race. I would have been estatic with that.

read what squee says. i would have loved that ending too. half the population out there would have been like 'wtf'.

there were no winners here.

i really wanted that main creature's intention to be hunting and finding the chick creature. honestly, i really thought that was going on.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

There was a way to get a better ending, and I don't mean changing the main part of the ending (smith sacrificing himself) but it could have been constructed better. It was a tad messy, felt a bit rushed.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:17 pm
I just lost the game

bABA wrote:
i really wanted that main creature's intention to be hunting and finding the chick creature. honestly, i really thought that was going on.

Now that you mention it, I remember briefly thinking that was going to happen when they went into the basement when I first saw it. That could have been a nice factor into a really good ending :-/

Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:54 am
Another You

Being a sucker for sci-fi/horror fLicks with shots of Manhattan kicking the crap out of it, I was expecting a WotW part two in terms of amazement. However, it turned out to be another good but not great event-fiLm as how I wished it wouLd be. Not that I wasn't creeped-out by the vampire scenes or impressed by the Times Square shots with SuperBatman biLLboards in it; its just that it couLd have shown much more other than WiLL Smith and his dog and taLking to dummies for 1 1/2 hours. I didn't Like how they sLiced off the 2009 scenes into parts; it shouLd have been a Longer, one uninterrupted scene; and of course the feLt-rushed, empty ending. What's impressive is WiLL Smith's acting and how they kept the NYC shots so beautifuL and seem very reaListic.

B

Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:33 am
We had our time together

I LOVED the film in the first half but once the other survivors appear the movie lost me a bit. There were some really strong scenes in the movie like when he has to kill his dog. That was heartbreaking. And I was shocked how short it was, the ending felt too rushed. I wanted it a bit more epic. A-

edit: The more I think about the movie the more I like it. I just wish it would have been a bit longer.

Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:00 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Riggs27 wrote:
I LOVED the film in the first half but once the other survivors appear the movie lost me a bit. There were some really strong scenes in the movie like when he has to kill his dog. That was heartbreaking. And I was shocked how short it was, the ending felt too rushed. I wanted it a bit more epic. A-

edit: The more I think about the movie the more I like it. I just wish it would have been a bit longer.

I agree with this and what Baba said. I quite enjoyed the film and have no problem with the ending. It did seem to come to a quick conclusion but the first 3/4 more than makes up for it.

Grade: A

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:42 am
You must have big rats

It was a good post-apocalyptic film, mostly carried by a great performance by Will Smith. Really, his turn is not getting enough accoldes. I thought he was better in this than in, say, The Pursuit of Happyness. He practically carries the movie for around two thirds of it completely by himself well aided by Sam the Dog). In that aspect, the film resembles rather something like Cast Away (only with monsters!), than Smith's usual sci-fi actions like Men in Black or I, Robot. Did I like it more than those? Not quite, but it was a very solid flick on its own that lost some of its excitement once Anna and her son appeared. I felt like they took some of the film's steam away as well as that feeling of loneliness and isolation.

On the whole, the visual effects of this movie are quite good. The thing is that the effects showcases the deserted and destroyed New York City are as terrific as it gets and reminded me of A.I.'s shots of the flooded New York in terms of grandeur. However, the effects of the monsters (dark seekers), were mostly sub-par, not helped by the fact that they all looked the same. Some variety would have helped. Now when they attacked and moved quickly it was fine, but in the close-up's, the CGI was more than visible. Other than that, the movie was very good on a technical level.

However, as said before, the movie's heart soul and core is Will Smith and his performance. If you think of it, the movie really doesn't have much action or explosions and oney shotsd (except for the aforementioned destroyed NYC), yet it keeps the viewer very engaged and entertained throughout. I think most of this is thanks to Smith. In Sam the Dog, he found a sidekick as great and "memorable" as Wilson in Cast Away. I really felt for him when he had to kill Sam.

Now the film's showdown - I wasn't big on that. It all somehow happened too quickly. The final attack and Smith's sacrifice...it all went down too quickly after the appearance of Anna and wasn't as spectacular as I wished for it to be. Smith's death didn't have much of an emotional impact on me (which is weird considering how I felt for him for most of the film before that) and, as I said, it all felt rushed. I think the movie would have benefited from a 10-15 minutes longer running time and a more spectacular showdown. As far as the action and suspense go, the highlight of the film was by far not the showdown, but Smith entering the hideout of the Dark Seeker to retrieve Sam (when he ran into it to get the deer). That was a very tense scene. I wished for more scenes like this in the flick.

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

How about this interpretation:
Will Smith died in the car on the bridge. The rest of the movie he was in a dream-like purgatory of sorts to test his faith until his selfless sacrifice results in his personal paradise of hope for humanity's survival.

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Hmm....nah :P

This was a pretty good blockbuster, however it was really not as big-scale as one would think judging by the huge gross it has. I guess audiences dig movies that are carried completely by one big star without any supporting cast for 75% of the film (see Cast Away).

I liked the first hour of it very much with the suspense and the drama, but in the final 40 minutes it also could have benefited from some more (or better) action.

Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Re:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
B+

As far as the action and suspense go, the highlight of the film was by far not the showdown, but Smith entering the hideout of the Dark Seeker to retrieve Sam (when he ran into it to get the deer). That was a very tense scene. I wished for more scenes like this in the flick.

Agreed. That was one of the best and most tense scenes in a long long time.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next