Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Hunt for Red October 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Hunt for Red October 

Post The Hunt for Red October
The Hunt for Red October

Quote:
The Hunt for Red October is a 1990 thriller film based on the novel of the same name by Tom Clancy. It was directed by John McTiernan and stars Sean Connery as Captain Marko Ramius and Alec Baldwin as Jack Ryan. The film received overwhelmingly positive reviews from critics and was one of the top grossing films of the year, grossing $122 million in North America and $200 million worldwide. The film won the Academy Award for Best Sound Editing in 1991.

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:58 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: The Hunt for Red October
Very effective thriller that gets the blood pumping like the best of Clancy.

That said its hilarious how Connery didn't even bother attempting a Russian accent.

Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:09 am
Squee

Gullimont wrote:

That said its hilarious how Connery didn't even bother attempting a Russian accent.

To be fair to Connery, all of the Russians talk to each other in English. Why should he even bother with a Russian accent? Besides, he's Sean Connery damn it!

:glare:

Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:20 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Squee wrote:
Gullimont wrote:

To be fair to Connery, all of the Russians talk to each other in English. Why should he even bother with a Russian accent? Besides, he's Sean Connery damn it!

Oh God................................Trixster ignore this, I'm to weak to fight you bitchslapping me!!

Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:28 am
loyalfromlondon

Gullimont wrote:
Squee wrote:
Gullimont wrote:

Oh God................................Trixster ignore this, I'm to weak to fight you bitchslapping me!!

Heh heh heh. :lol:

Perhaps no film like this has completely butchered the use of languages and accents in films. The whole issue starts off well enough, with the scenes on the Red October starting in Russian and then moving to English in an obvious, intentional matter, but once Ryan and the Americans come on board all semblance of communication difficulties are thrown aside. I like how all of the Russians can speak English but none of the Americans can speak Russian. And yeah, Connery's blatant disregard for the Russian language is pretty funny.

For the film itself, it's an extremely tense affair with a somewhat twisted plot (especially near the end) that doesn't lose the audience due to its terrific cast and great action scenes. Baldwin is great as Ryan and Connery is Connery, but it's the supporting work from character players like Sam Neill and Scott Glenn that really makes the acting stand out. This is on TV about every day, but I never tire of watching it, and I do love the climax. And, of course, any movie that has James Earl Jones in it has to be good.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:25 am
On autopilot for the summer

My 2nd favorite Jack Ryan film, the acting is good and its very intense in many moments. The F-ing cook's evil face always makes me laugh out loud.

Clear and Present Danger A+
Hunt For Red October- A
Patriot Games- A
Sum of all Fears- C

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:51 pm
Keeping it Light

As evident by the lack of votes for this movie, it's a shame so few have probably seen it. The Hunt for Red October is a sublime thriller with a great cast. I can't really think of it having any flaws, despite it's length, and inner submarine story, it didn't bore me for a second, as there's constantly a looming threat being dealt with. The back story politics are also very interesting to follow. Connery and Baldwin are both great in this. I'd really had love to seen more Ryan movies with Baldwin, but Ford has played the role at least as good if not better as well. I feel Baldwin has probably chose the wrong roles often in his career. I love him, and he's been in some great movies, but I just can't recall enough in a now 30 year career. For any fan of thrillers, The Hunt for Red October definitely a highly recommended watch.

A-

Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]