Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 August Rush 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

August Rush 
Extraordinary

Post August Rush
August Rush

Quote:
August Rush is a 2007 drama film directed by Kirsten Sheridan and written by Paul Castro, Nick Castle, and James V. Hart, and produced by Richard Barton Lewis.

Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:34 pm
Sbil

Post Re: August Rush
I certainly enjoyed it. It's very heartwarming, but I always tend to fall for sappy movies like this. It's a little underdeveloped at certain points and a bit bland in others, but it was a satisfactory experience. And the music kind of gives you the warm fuzzies Freddie Highmore is solid, although he doesn't really do much (he has very little dialogue). Keri Russell is impressive, complimenting the outstanding performance she gave in Waitress. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers does a good job but his character is given less to work with than Russell's. Other than these three, Robin Williams disappointingly gives his second annoying performance in a row (after License to Wed) and Terrence Howard is pretty wasted in a small-ish role. I can't really see this movie not have good word-of-mouth, because it's the kind of thing people eat up around the holidays. B

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:21 am
I just lost the game

It's decent. It hardly ever scratches the surface of brilliance (though it tried dammit), however, and thus is ultimately forgettable. The score was pretty solid, as much of the movie relied on it. The best parts of the movie were when August was playing or "listening". The plot was pretty thin and at some points unbelievable. But it's gentle, it's a heart-warmer, and it leaves the viewer feeling pretty good about things.

B

Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:19 pm
Forum General

AUGUST RUSH: 7/10 ( B )

Decent, but definitely unspectacular family film. It was fairly entertaining and the last act of it was absolutely great. It was better than the whole entire film and almost made my grade go up another notch. There were some problems, the middle of it could have been shortened a bit but overall it was a nice little film. Nothing I'd want to see again, I doubt it would have much rewatch value but it was a nice movie to watch over the holidays. Recommended.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Lover of Bacon

I set out to see 'Into the Wild' which had been pulled when i got to the theatre. Instead of going home we decided to give August Rush a shot, and you know what? I enjoyed it. Yes it's slushy, and has an almost inconceivable plot but it's fun. The highlights are definately the scenes when music is used to communicate and the score itself is quite strong.

Massive downside is Robin Williams, what was he doing in this film?

Not my usual cup of tea at all, but i'm glad i saw it by accident. B

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:31 am
I just lost the game

I'm very annoyed at how many of my friends are 1) Absolutely convinced this is one of the best movies ever and 2) How many of them think I'm dumb for NOT agreeing with them. Most of my friends are music majors, so it's no surprise. Still annoying though.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:00 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I think it says something when Freddie Highmore is one of my favorite child actors, yet I wanted to punch him in the face here because of how annoying he was.

Anyways, the movie is harmless, but mind-numbingly cheesy and cliched. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers and Keri Russell are good though. C/C+

Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:15 am
Profile YIM
Forum General

I just watched this. I loved it. Yeah, Robin Williams character is a bit
annoying, but everything else in the movie I loved. The movie sucked me in
and never let me go. When I finished, I wanted to watch it again. I won't
pretend it was largely because of the awesome music.

A

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

Not much to say here, I loved every single thing about this movie.

A+

Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:06 pm
You must have big rats

matatonio wrote:

A+

Wow, THAT good, eh?

Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:53 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

Dr. Lecter wrote:
matatonio wrote:

A+

Wow, THAT good, eh?

i felt exactly like SolC9, the movie just sucks you in and wont let you go. Its a inmmensly heartwarming movie with a wonderful message.

Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:31 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I seriously think this might be the single most cringe-inducingly cheesy film I've ever seen. And that's saying something considering some of the stuff I love ;)

Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:20 am
Profile YIM
ef star star kay

:noway:

This movie seriously lacks in credibility. The story moved on too fast (lacking in development, is that the word?). One second they met, the next thing you know at the very next second, their son is out there looking for them. It doesn't leave any room for the viewer to be engaged. And honestly, I didn't buy anything that happened in the movie. And the fault doesn't lie on just the script, but the directing (I even considered the directing to be the biggest fault in this movie) and surprisingly the acting altogether. Keri Russell, Jonathan Rhys Meyers weren't bad. No, absolutely not. But they aint good enough to make things better. Freddy Highmore came out laughable in every scene. Let me repeat again, EVERY SCENE. In many scenes, you just can see, he just doesn't have a clue what to do (equals how to act).

"the most cringe-inducingly cheesy film I've ever seen."

Wow, thompsoncory.. you were damn right!!

D+

Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]