Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Du rififi chez les hommes [Rififi] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Du rififi chez les hommes [Rififi] 

Post Du rififi chez les hommes [Rififi]
Rififi

Quote:
Rififi (French: Du rififi chez les hommes) is a 1955 French crime film adaptation of Auguste le Breton's novel of the same name. Directed by American filmmaker Jules Dassin, the film stars Jean Servais as the aging gangster Tony le Stéphanois, Carl Möhner as Jo le Suédois, Robert Manuel as Mario Farrati, and Jules Dassin as César le Milanais. The plot revolves around a burglary at a jewelry shop in the Rue de Rivoli. Tony, Jo, Mario, and César band together to commit the almost impossible theft. The centerpiece of the film is an intricate half hour heist scene depicting the crime in detail, shot in near silence, without dialogue or music. The fictional burglary has been mimicked by criminals in actual crimes around the world.

After he was blacklisted from Hollywood, Dassin found work in France where he was asked to direct Rififi. Despite his distaste for parts of the original novel, Dassin agreed to direct the film. He shot Rififi while working with a low budget, without a star cast, and with the production staff working for low wages.

Upon the initial release of the film, it received positive reactions from audiences and critics in France, the United States, and the United Kingdom. The film earned Dassin the award for Best Director at the 1955 Cannes Film Festival. Rififi was nominated by the National Board of Review for Best Foreign Film. Rififi was re-released theatrically in 2000 and is still highly acclaimed by modern film critics as one of the greatest works in French film noir.

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:13 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Du rififi chez les hommes [Rififi]
Simply one of the best noirs I've seen. The first and third acts are typical of the genre, but it's the tour de force middle section, with its half an hour, dialogue-free jewel heist, that really puts this above the rest. An utterly stunning sequence. Jean Servais is terrific as the anti-hero, and his morally questionable character suits the dark atmosphere perfectly. Wonderfully directed and expertly plotted, it's a template in creating suspense and keeping it. Even the end, which I felt waned a bit from the climactic middle, is incredibly intense. Could be an inspiration for Godard, as it feels halfway between Hollywood and New Wave.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:28 am
Teenage Dream

Post Re: Du rififi chez les hommes [Rififi]
This is one of the best movies ever made.

Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]