Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Control 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Control 

Post Control
Control

Quote:
Control is a 2007 black-and-white biographical film about Joy Division singer Ian Curtis. Matt Greenhalgh wrote the screenplay based on the book Touching from a Distance, written by Curtis' widow Deborah who co-produced the film. Directed by Anton Corbijn, Control stars Sam Riley as Ian, Samantha Morton as Deborah, and Alexandra Maria Lara as Annik Honoré. It also stars James Anthony Pearson, Joe Anderson, and Harry Treadaway as Joy Division members Bernard Sumner, Peter Hook, and Stephen Morris, respectively, as well as Toby Kebbell as band manager Rob Gretton and Craig Parkinson as Factory Records head Tony Wilson.

The film follows Ian Curtis' life from 1973 to 1980, focusing on his marriage to Deborah, the formation and rise of Joy Division, his struggle with epilepsy, and his extramarital affair with Annik, culminating in his May 1980 suicide. The film's title derives from the Joy Division song "She's Lost Control".

Control premiered at the Cannes Film Festival on May 17, 2007 where it won several awards including the Director's Fortnight, the CICAE Art & Essai prize for best film, the Regards Jeunes Prize for best first/second directed feature film, and the Europa Cinemas Label prize for best European film in the sidebar. It went on to win five British Independent Film Awards including Best Film, Best Director for Corbijn, Most Promising Newcomer for Riley, and Best Supporting Actor for Kebbell. It was named Best Film at the 2007 Evening Standard British Film Awards, and Greenhalgh was given the Carl Foreman award for outstanding achievement in his first feature film at the 61st British Academy Film Awards.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Kypade

Post Re: Control
omg it's brilliant. Sam Riley is unbelievable. more later, maybe, if yanit.

Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:34 pm
htm

saw this in late october, i think. well, i know i saw it. don't remember when.

anyway, i can say that this continues to haunt me - the fantastic, unforgettable imagery - and s.r.'s amazing performance. he's a great actor and i hope he doesn't fade away after this overlooked gem.

def. has a spot on my top ten list come the end of the year.

kypade, what did you think of the last shot of the film?

Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:00 am
Kypade

zennier wrote:
kypade, what did you think of the last shot of the film?
I hadn't, really. I mean, its a striking, beautiful image and certainly feels like a fitting end, but I never thought about its significance beyond that.

Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:41 pm
je vois l'avenir

Great film thought not amazing. The performances are all good. I loved that it was shot in Black and White. Worked very well for this film. B

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:45 am
You must have big rats

It's bordering on a B+, but some things just prevented that. It's a good movie. Pretty good too and unlike Walk the Line or Ray, it's certainly not your standard biopic. The black 'n white cinematography is perfect for this one. Very stylish, very cool. Sam Riley delivers a tour de force performance, definitely one of the most overlooked turns in 2007, I'd say. Samantha Morton and Alexandra Maria Lara are both pretty good, but Riley just overshadows them both. In particular in the singing scenes, he's just so damn impressive. The way he moves, the way he sings and behaves on the stages. All looks just pitch-perfect. The signing scenes are actually my favorite scenes in the entire film, in particular the ban'd first TV appearance with "Transmission". It's very powerful.

However, the whole love triangle plot is just not very well-written and never really well-explored. Also, I didn't think enough emphasis was put on Curtis' epilepsy. Surely, it was mentioned and shown a lot, but the grave consequences it actually had for him felt underplayed.

Still, a well-done and very well-acted film. The final shot is breathtakingly beautiful.

Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
I like the Freewheelin' sequence, and pretty much everything else. - 8/10.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:58 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I only got to see the first three quarters. what happens at the end?

Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:06 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Except for Patrick Swayze.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:25 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]