Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Killer's Kiss 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Killer's Kiss 

Post Killer's Kiss
Killer's Kiss

Quote:
Killer's Kiss (1955) is a film by Stanley Kubrick. It was Kubrick's second feature, and the earliest still available (he removed his first film Fear and Desire from circulation over his displeasure for it). Kubrick was 26 years old when he directed this movie, and had to borrow $40,000 from his uncle, who owned a drug store in New York.

The film revolves around Davey Gordon (Jamie Smith), a 29 year old welterweight New York boxer in the end of his career, and his relationship with a dancer (Irene Kane) and her violent employer (Frank Silvera). Silvera had worked with Kubrick on his previous feature, Fear and Desire. Most of the film's locations were minutes away from Kubrick's apartment, a trend which would continue even after moving to England, preferring to work as close to home as possible.

Kubrick began to shoot the film with sound recorded on location, as was common practice in Hollywood. However, frustrated by the intrusion of the microphone into his lighting scheme, Kubrick fired his soundman and decided to post-dub the entire film as he had with his first film.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Killer's Kiss
For Kubrick's first (available) feature, it's actually fairly unimpressive. The story is completely generic film-noir; there's really no ground broken there at all. The performances are all fairly mediocre; none of the actors are even recognizable to me. But Kubrick has never been all about story and characters, his films are famous for their images. And his direction is impressive, it's fairly obvious what was gonna blossom out of this seed; some of the shots and sequences are quite fantastic. But there's nothing eye-opening or wondrous like in his later work. Not a bad first film, but not great either.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:05 am
The Lubitsch Touch

I have not seen this.

Have you seen The Killing? How does this compare to that?

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:08 am
loyalfromlondon

yoshue wrote:
I have not seen this.

Have you seen The Killing? How does this compare to that?

No. I figured I'd work my way through Kubrick's work chronologically, excepting the ones I've seen already, of course. So The Killing is up next.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:18 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Considering this was Kubrick's first feature, it's definitely an interesting debut. The story is pretty generic, but the extreme amount of talent that Kubrick has as a director is already present here. I loved the final twenty minutes or so and thought the fight sequence in the mannequin factory was pretty effective. I also found some of the images present hard to shake, mainly the shot of the two men approaching the doomed manager in the alleyway. I also liked the use of music and thought it added a lot to many scenes. I could have done without the ballet sequence and the backstory that accompanied it, for it felt pretty pointless in the general scheme of things. Not fantastic, but definitely worth seeing for any fan of the director. B-

Wed May 21, 2008 3:01 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]