Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Gone Baby Gone 

What grade would you give this film?
A 66%  66%  [ 25 ]
B 21%  21%  [ 8 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 38

Gone Baby Gone 
Forum General

Post Re: Gone Baby Gone
I thought it was solid. Didn't floor me, but I did think there were some striking moments. Might improve in my mind upon further stewing.

Quick question, though, for those who saw it recently enough to remember:

What was up with Ed Harris trying to rob the bar? Did I miss something?

Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:11 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Dkmuto wrote:
I thought it was solid. Didn't floor me, but I did think there were some striking moments. Might improve in my mind upon further stewing.

Quick question, though, for those who saw it recently enough to remember:

What was up with Ed Harris trying to rob the bar? Did I miss something?

I think he wanted to kill Casey Affleck or the uncle of the child...to cover this whole thing up, he used a robbery.

Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:49 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Best Movie of the year so far. The ending raises a big question and to be honest I'm really not sure what I would've done. I thought the second half (after he shoots the child molester) is a little bit weaker then the first but still very strong. Affleck was a very confincing lead though he was way better in Jesse James. I actually thought that the entire cast was very good but no one really stood out. I'm still not sure how to grade this film but given the fact that this is the first movie in a looong time that just doesn't want to go out of my head, I'm giving this an A for now and it will most likely stay there.

Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

GONE BABY GONE - 9/10 (A-)

One of the year's best films! I thought Casey Affleck was great in it and I really liked Michelle Monaghan. Amy Ryan's performance is overrated though. The ending annoyed me too. I hated Patrick's actions in the end. He made the wrong decision. *****SPOILERS*****I was glad Angie left him. I would have done the same thing. What he did really pissed me off. The girl would have been better off where she was. Her mom is trash and isn't going to change. She seemed slightly better in the end but she was still running off to go out with some guy and still talking inappropriately. It was too much for her to stay home with her little girl, and she couldn't find her a proper sitter either. Luckily Patrick stepped in to watch her. The poor girl's life will be worse because of him. The mother did not deserve her back.*****END SPOILERS***** However, I wouldn't change the ending. I didn't agree with his decision at all, but it makes the movie better and more thought-provoking.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:01 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Really good movie. Casey Affleck is awesome as is Amy Ryan. Definitely engaged in the movie. I almost gave an A but it did lack something. I think it's because instead of going for the tears like I wanted it to, the movie went for a philosopical social commentary on what's good and bad. It's a smart film, but maybe too smart and not emotional enough. Regardless, like I said, it's a good movie. B+

Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:38 am
The 5th B-Sharp

The best thing the movie does is it really never takes a side on the issue. Sure most of the people on what would be the typical "good" side are punished, but so are those who are on the "bad" side. (Though those are both way to general to apply to this film). Casey Affleck gives a great performance as the man stuck in the middle of these two sides, with leanings towards one wrapped up perfectly by the ending.

A-

Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:08 pm
Extraordinary

Pretty good movie. Ben's directorial skills show modest promise, although they need some major refinement. Casey was very good, and Ryan stole every scene she was in. Not sure that I liked the 'twist' at the end....I understand why it was there as to evoke the moral complexity they were going for, but it was a bit on the absurd side.

B

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:19 am
Artie the One-Man Party

I can't believe I defended this movie but never actually reviewed it. I came back because I watched it again for a second time, and I gained even more respect for the film after I knew what was going to happen. It allowed me to take a step back and analyze all the events and words spoken before the finale. This is truly what I would call a great film, and I can't see my grade ever coming down from an A. My one complaint with this film is the slight stretch of plausibility in everyone's actions involving the girl's "abduction." While it's hard to believe these people would go that far to do this, it's hard to argue with what would have been the final result. But they turned a selfish decision into an even more selfish one when they let four (?) people die as a result of their actions, and put Affleck's character in mortal danger as well.

As for the dialogue, referred to as very poor by loyal I believe, there was only two lines in that film that bothered me. "Bitches love the chedda," which was spoken worse than it was written, and "Nigga please," which was just dumb and unnecessary. The rest I felt was pretty authentic.

Affleck is amazing by downplaying his character but still making us feel his pain when he makes a series of tough decisions in this movie. A very moving and real take on a role that lesser actors would have used to mug their way through the plot.

Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:21 am
Stanley Cup

Still an A. Still the best movie of last year.

Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:51 pm
Extraordinary

Solid, with good performances, but I feel the screenplay thought it's smarter than what it actually showed. The direction is heavy-handed, with all the twists and turns trying to pound you on a specific point.

B

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
je vois l'avenir

Great film! I loved mostly everything about it. A-

Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:58 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Gone Baby Gone is one of the brightest moments in an already great year of cinema for 2007. Ben Affleck shows in his first time in the director's chair, that he can deliver a very intense and emotional piece with the right amount of twists to keep you intact. Casey Affleck is nearly flawless in his main role along with most of the supporting cast including Michelle Monaghan, Morgan Freeman, and Ed Harris. While the ending can be very questionable to some and be wondered if it was the right way to go, it just adds to the gripping story and emotion and detail added. Superb job. A

Sun May 17, 2009 9:50 pm
Profile WWW

I still can't see at all what you guys see with mystic river. I think it's a marvelous movie.

Anyway, I love this movie. It's an interesting moral examination, while being a thrilling crime movie, while being a magnificient film. Still, its on the bottom half of my "top 10 of 2007) list, which just goes to show how ridiculously excellent that year was for film, and how terrible 2008 was.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:23 am
Horror Hound

I was dragged to see this with my Mum.

I thought Casey Affleck was fantastic.

The film was a bit too "try-hard" in my opinion. I sussed out the twist early on. I was actually pretty bored throughout. C for the the good performances.

C.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:23 pm
now we know

So I finally caught the remaining [Ben] Affleck! It's his best work. Plain and simple. Gripping from start to finish. Casey sleepwalks through the film as has become his trademark now (and he's fooled everyone into thinking that's acting) but I like the dude. Honestly, he doesn't act much different in all the films I've seen him in. He just plays Casey Affleck. This film and that role is a great one, and despite what I say Casey was that role - perhaps he is just lucky enough to have people write roles perfectly for him. Morgan Freeman's speech about his lost child is poignant and heartbreaking. He did a stellar job in such a small role. The ending was infuriating as a viewer because we all want the best outcome for Amanda, but you really learn what type of person you are watching this film, and I hope Affleck knew that was the ship he was steering.

A-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

1. Gone Baby Gone A-
2. Argo B+
3. The Town B+