Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Jules et Jim [Jules and Jim] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Jules et Jim [Jules and Jim] 

Post Jules et Jim [Jules and Jim]
Jules and Jim

Quote:
Jules and Jim (French: Jules et Jim, IPA: [ʒyl e dʒim]) is a 1962 French film directed by François Truffaut based on Henri-Pierre Roché's semi-autobiographical novel about his relationship with writer Franz Hessel and his wife, Helen Grund.

Truffaut came across the book in the mid-1950s whilst browsing through some secondhand books in Paris and later befriended the elderly Roché. The author approved of the young director's attempt to translate his work to another medium.

The soundtrack by Georges Delerue was named as one of the "10 best soundtracks" by Time magazine in its "All Time 100 Movies" list.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Jules et Jim
It's got some interesting direction at times and it's certainly an artistic work, but the story is fairly mediocre and the characters aren't all that appealing. They're certainly developed well, but the audience is really not given anyone to root for. I guess that's the point of the film, but it definitely makes it harder to watch. There's really no story to speak of, just a love triangle over the years, and, though that usual doesn't bother me, a bit more something to sink my teeth into would've been nice. The abrupt shift from light to dark tone is startling, but it works, and the tragic ending is certainly befitting of that. Truffaut proves he can be just as artsy as Godard, too; after the relative realism of The 400 Blows, this one is just as stylish as Breathless. Overall, it's not great, but it's definitely worth a watch.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:10 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Incredibly rich film, but I was a bit underwhelmed the first time around. I'm glad, then, that I watched it again. This is essential.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:30 am
Extraordinary

Very stylish, certainly much closer to Breathless than 400 Blows, but I had a hard time feeling involved in the plot, probably because I couldn't sympathize with any of the characters, even though each of them certainly exists in the real world all around us. As a result, I respect the film, but couldn't really love it. And although things happened a lot quickly in the last 30 minutes, I actually prefer the first half. There are certainly numerous signature moments, such as Catherine jumping into the water and how it foreshadows the ending, Catherine singing the song with Albert, Jim talking about the war with Albert and Jules, and the way Catherine trying to get attention (like by slapping Jules for no reason).

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
Waitress in LA

A film about Jeanne Moreau emblematizing the whole world, adorable, hapless, fatal. I love it.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:40 pm
Extraordinary

this movie is perfect.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:14 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Reed wrote:
A film about Jeanne Moreau emblematizing the whole world, adorable, hapless, fatal. I love it.

Quite right.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:02 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]