Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Tsotsi 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Tsotsi 

Post Tsotsi
Tsotsi

Quote:
Tsotsi is a 2005 film written and directed by Gavin Hood. The film is an adaptation of the novel Tsotsi, by Athol Fugard. The soundtrack features Kwaito music performed by popular South African artist Zola as well as a score by Mark Kilian and Paul Hepker featuring the voice of South African protest singer/poet Vusi Mahlasela.

Set in a Alexandra slum, near Johannesburg, South Africa, the film tells the story of Tsotsi, a young street thug who steals a car only to discover a baby in the back seat.

The film won the 2005 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film and was nominated for the Golden Globe for Best Foreign Language Film in 2006.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Tsotsi is a movie that reminded me a bit of City of God in its approach. It keeps the things pretty real, without overdramatizing them. While not overly gripping or moving, it has a great emotional core to it which is revealed well thanks to the good acting by the lead, Presley Chweneyagae. He handled his stuff very well. Something I didn't like about the movie was the way too fast change his character experiences in the film. He starts out as pretty ruthless and cold and it just doesn't take long for his human side to shine through. Some moments of his change are handled extremely well (all the moments with the girl he "forces" to feed the child), but on the whole it just happens way too fast and remains somewhat unconvincing. The flashbacks of his past are rather heavy-handed too.

Those complaints aside, it is afinely crafted film by Gavin Hood. He transports the feel of the South African slums to the big screen very well. It all feels raw and realistic. Towards the end of the film more and more tension builds up and all culminates in a very satisfying ending. I have seen the two alternative endings on DVD and both of them pretty much suck compared to the one they kept in the film. I like the way the film stays rather open-ended, but having given its main character somewhat of a redemption without making a saint out of him. I just wish the transition of his character had been more detailed. The subplot of one of the members of his gang (the one Tsotsi has beaten up) should have stayed in the film, though (I saw it in a deleted scene). It would have made more sense then.

To sum it up, it's just a fine movie with good acting and some flaws here and there, it delivers the goods as an engaging drama. I still prefered Sophie Scholl which was nominated against it, but Tsotsi wasn't a bad choice for the Best Foreign Pic winner.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]