Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Wonder Boys 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Wonder Boys 
Where will you be?

Post Wonder Boys
Wonder Boys

Quote:
Wonder Boys is a dark comedy film based on the 1995 novel of the same title by Michael Chabon. Directed by Curtis Hanson, it stars Michael Douglas as professor Grady Tripp, a novelist who teaches creative writing at an unnamed Pittsburgh university. He has been unable to finish his second novel, his young wife has left him, and he is sleeping with the Chancellor of the university (Frances McDormand), who is the wife of the chairman of his department. Grady's editor (Robert Downey Jr.) is in town to take a look at the book and becomes interested in a book that a student (Tobey Maguire) from Grady's creative writing class has just completed.

Wonder Boys was filmed in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, including locations at Carnegie Mellon University, Chatham University, and Shady Side Academy. Other Pennsylvania locations included Beaver, Rochester and Rostraver Township. The film reunited Holmes and Maguire, who had appeared together three years earlier in The Ice Storm.

After Wonder Boys failed at the box office, there was a second attempt to find an audience with a new marketing campaign and a November 8, 2000, re-release, which was also a financial disappointment.

Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:04 pm
Where will you be?

Post Re: Wonder Boys
An absolutely wonderful film that's hugely enjoyable and razor sharp smart. Michael Douglas and Tobey Maguire are both superb, and although I thought it ended on a bit too light of a note, it doesn't stop the previous 105 minutes from being really excellent stuff. This may actually be my favorite Curtis Hanson film.

Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:06 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Yeah Moviedude covers my main thoughts. Great Film that I enjoyed immensely.

Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:05 pm
life begins now

Michael Douglas was wonderful, but it was a little too...weird. I dunno, it was good, but I wasn't amazed by it or anything.

B

Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:03 am
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

This is a movie that keeps getting better with each viewing, in my opinion. It might actually reach the A-territory for me at some point. The movie really showcases the great, great versatility of Curtis Hanson as the director as this is hiw follow-up to the masterpiece that is L.A. Confidential and after this, he made 8 Mile and a chick flick, In Her Shoes (I'll just ignore the fact that he also directed Lucky You).

Hanson's direction, paired with a good screenplay and a wonderwul, Oscar-worthy performance by Michael Douglas make this wonderful little flick just immensly enjoyable. It's one of those movie I like to see on a cold winter evening, sitting on a comfortable couch and all...if you know what I mean. It's an uplifting, very funny and not quite politically correct tale. Some bits I am not so fod of (a couple concern Tobey Magiuire's character and the rest goes to Katie Holmes' inability to be very convincing), but on the whole, this is a real treat for fans of movies.

Douglas, as I mentioned above, delivers a wonderfully atypical, quirky performance, while Maguire showed back then that he has a bright future ahead of him. McDormand did her job well and Robert Downey Jr. steals most scenes he's in.

The movie won't change your life, but it might make you feel better for a while at least. :)

Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Wonder Boys, in addition to being a marvelous movie, is one of the best, most accurate depictions of pot use I've ever seen on film.

Michael Douglas' finest moment.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:39 pm
now we know

I'm generally not a fan of films about writing, but this was fine. All films are unique to the era you see them in in terms of viewing experience, but it's quite a good film to see now as it acts a real star-studded ensemble. But this was before Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man, before Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, before Katie Holmes made more of a name for herself as Cruise's wife, and although she did Fargo I also want to believe it was pre-acclaim for Frances McDormand. Anyway, good film.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]