Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Dead Ringers 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Dead Ringers 
Where will you be?

Post Dead Ringers
Dead Ringers

Quote:
Dead Ringers is a 1988 psychological horror film starring Jeremy Irons in a dual role as identical twin gynecologists. Director David Cronenberg co-wrote the screenplay with Norman Snider; their script was based on the novel Twins by Bari Wood and Jack Geasland. The film is very loosely based on the lives of Stewart and Cyril Marcus.

Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:29 pm
Where will you be?

Post Re: Dead Ringers
Jeremy Irons brilliant performances stand out in this great little creep out of a film. It's not really a thriller, or a horror, but right from the chilling opening credits Cronenberg makes the viewer uncomfortable in the most deliciously subtle ways. I actually found this to be very similar to The Fly, only where in that film the scientist's body deteriorated, here it was the Mantle's minds. The ending did leave me a bit cold however.

This is the fourth Cronenberg film I've seen besides A History of Violence, Eastern Promises, and The Fly. I think I need to see the rest of his work asap.

Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:34 pm
loyalfromlondon

This movie freaked the hell out of me, despite the fact that there's no conventional or even unconventional horror elements in it at all. It's basically just like a dark character tragedy that's elevated by the incredibly chilling performances of Jeremy Irons. Seriously, one of the greatest acting turns ever. Not only does he manage to make each twin into a genuine, believable and distinct character, but he takes each of them down a scary, twisted road that forms the backbone of the film's plot. Incredible that he was barely recognized for this film; it just shows the genre and occasional director bias that unfortunately plagues awards ceremonies. Too bad, because this film is brill.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:36 am
Extraordinary

Creepy gynecological instruments and Jeremy Irons times two... what's not to love? And how 'bout them costumes? Now this is a horror movie!

Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:17 am
Devil's Advocate

Terrific work by Irons and Croenenberg, who while subtle in his style, directs the movie and its slow pace perfectly. The ending is pretty powerful, although I did think the movie was a bit too long and spent too much time waddling with the drug addiction second half.

It also left me like, really depressed, it took its toll. That's probably a good thing, but I dunno. I wouldn't say I'm in love with this movie, but it's a very solid effort by Croenenberg.

3.5/5

Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]