Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Seeker: The Dark is Rising 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
F 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 3

Extraordinary

Post The Seeker: The Dark is Rising

Quote:
The Seeker, titled The Dark Is Rising in the United Kingdom and The Seeker: The Dark is Rising in Canada, is a 2007 American film adaptation of the second book in the five-book young adult fantasy series The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper. The film is directed by David L. Cunningham and stars Ian McShane, Alexander Ludwig, Frances Conroy, Gregory Smith, and Christopher Eccleston. The Seeker is the first film to be produced by 20th Century Fox and Walden Media as part of their Fox-Walden partnership.

On his 14th birthday Will Stanton (Ludwig) finds out that he is the last of a group of warriors - The Light - who have spent their lives fighting against evil - The Dark. Will travels through time to track down the signs that will enable him to confront the evil forces. The Dark is personified by The Rider (Eccleston).

This film adaptation drew strong negative reaction from fans of the book series for its disregard for the source material.

Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:35 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: The Seeker: The Dark is Rising
It's been almost a week...why hasn't bradley's glowing review showed up yet?

You busy, or what?

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:03 pm
Sbil

I think even Bradley is too busy for this movie, indeed.

If its $75 per-theater-average yesterday (!!!!) is any indication.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:55 pm
Extraordinary

Heh... :yes:

Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:45 am
Cream of the Crop

So, my dad took me to see this tonight. I'm not sure what to grade it. I might give it a D+ or C-. Because it really isn't "bad" perse, but is definitely no more than just average. It certainly isn't as bad as Eragon, though (of course, I don't think anything ever will be).

My main contentions were not necessarily with the plot as much as it was the filmmaking. It felt like the cinematographer was some newbie out of college going "Look what I can do!" and just putting as many "cool" camera angles as they could possibly fit. Problem is is that some of those "cool" angles weren't cool at all; just dizzying and confusing.

The general plot idea was good; the execution was okay. I'm gonna be weird and say that I felt that the movie needed to be longer (it's only, like, 90 minutes or so)... It had all the elements for a good story, but not enough time to develop any of those elements, and therefore just plopped them all in and moved on.

One thing that really bothered me--and this is stupidly superficial--was the Mrs Greythorn or whatever her name was. Every time she was on-screen, I got into this "huh?" feeling and every time she spoke I was just full on confused; she looked and sounded like they had wanted to cast Maggie Smith in the part but couldn't get her, so cast someone younger and tried to make her look old. She kept reminding me (in a bad way) of a younger Minerva McGonagall..... It was incredibly disconcerting.

So, yeah, a C-/D+ for this one. Wait for it at a $1 theater or TV, but if you really want to see it, it's not going to be as much of a waste of money as Eragon was.

Joy

Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:21 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

2/10 -> F

What a pathetic movie. And it seems to me the makers wanted to make it look as much as HP-like as they could. I won't waste any more words on this.

Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

D

Oh my.

I haven't seen Eragon yet, but at least now I'm prepared to see it since I have already seen a truly terrible fantasy flick now. The Seeker: The Dark is Rising actually starts off on a good note. The "interrogation" scene in the shopping mall actually approaches something that could be called "creepy" and "atmospheric" and the bird creatures are pretty cool. The movie also has a rather nice visual style going for it.

However, from that point on, it all goes severely downhill. I don't even know where to begin when describing its badness. First of all, the so-called Old Ones were probably the single worst good guys in a flick like this. They pretty much had no abilities and all they did was exlaiming "You are the Seeker! You have the powers!" whereas themselves they seemed as useful as a raincoat on a sunny day. The Rider was a terrible and absolutely not intimidating villain and the leadng boy, Alexander Ludwig, was flat out terrible. And that's by far not all. Add to that many undeveloped characters, a stuid finish and the lead's abaility to keep forgetting that he actually has some sort of powers whenever he could actually need them (the only time he DOES use them is to burn some Windmill and blow up a car. How smart of him!

Oh and bad bad acting galore!

Thu May 22, 2008 10:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]