Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 No End in Sight 

What grade would you give this film?
A 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

No End in Sight 
Where will you be?

Post No End in Sight
No End in Sight

Quote:
No End in Sight is a 2007 documentary film about the American occupation of Iraq. The film marks the directorial debut of political scientist and former software entrepreneur Charles H. Ferguson. The film premiered January 22, 2007 at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival. The film opened in limited release in the United States on July 27, 2007, playing in 2 theaters. As of December 2007, the film had grossed $1.4 million, and had been released on DVD.

Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:47 pm
Where will you be?

Post Re: No End in Sight
Here's what I had to say about it in the Foreign/Independent forum...

MovieDude wrote:
Most of you priobably haven't heard of this one, but trust me when I say that No End in Sight nessecary viewing for every American or person who wants to know exactly how we've arrived to where we are in Iraq. Quietly angry without ever saying anything but solid facts and quotes, the film paints a timeline of the countless mistakes we have made repeatedly in Iraq. No End in Sight doesn't delve into blood oil, or George W's conversations with god, just the decisions we made and what the consequences have been. In this age of endless communication, it's amazing how few of our citizens have the slightest as to what's going on, and while this film is not the only source of that information (I personally suggest reading the excellent "Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq"), if released en masse to schools it could make a big difference. Beyond what it's about, it's just a riveting, insightful documentary that never bores for a second. If my little review isn't enough to convince you, just look at what the critics have to say: On RottenTomatoes, it's at 96% both overall and COTC, with an 8.2 and 8.3 average. On Metacritic, it's at an even more impressive 89 average with 8 100s out of 27 reviews (for those who don't want to do the math, that means 30% of critics on there have given it a perfect score!)
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/no_end_in_sight/
http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/n ... In%20Sight

I fully expect this to win Best Documentary of 2007 at the Academy Awards if all the voters see it.

Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:53 pm
Begging Naked

I really don't have much to add that wasn't covered in MD's review, other than a very enthusiastic "Every American must see this film" declaration. The gradual walk down the truly awful road that the government mindlessly walked two countries down is truly the most infuriating thing you'll see this year. Excellent.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:34 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Its very solidly made and lays outs its case and facts with hammering conviction but its not telling us anything new or groundbreaking, especially if your in Europe and have seen quite a few documentary's already that have done the same thing.

I can't help comparing this to the mid 90s BBC Mini Series on the first Gulf War and find it coming up short as an effective film in terms of what its trying to achieve. That said its pretty damn strong in places like the shambolic manner in which the UN mission in Iraq was threated by Breamer and Co, and of course any film with masses of the grinning twat known as Donald Rumsfeld shall get blood boiling on que.

Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:59 pm
Cream of the Crop

Gullimont wrote:
Its very solidly made and lays outs its case and facts with hammering conviction but its not telling us anything new or groundbreaking, especially if your in Europe and have seen quite a few documentary's already that have done the same thing.

I feel this way about it as well.

Gullimont wrote:
I can't help comparing this to the mid 90s BBC Mini Series on the first Gulf War and find it coming up short as an effective film in terms of what its trying to achieve.

I compare it to The Power of Nightmares and it falls short of that. I'd still recommend watching No End in Sight, particularly if one hasn't watched similar documentaries or programs about Iraq and its handling.

Gullimont wrote:
That said its pretty damn strong in places like the shambolic manner in which the UN mission in Iraq was threated by Breamer and Co, and of course any film with masses of the grinning twat known as Donald Rumsfeld shall get blood boiling on que.

Paul Wolfowitz has a similar effect. Put those ears away.

Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:38 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I'll add to the voice that this should be a required viewing for everyone. It is great to see the film is not Michael Moore-like or politically charged; for such a somber subject, that would've been a wrong choice. It didn't try to argue if going into the war is correct, but rather lay out all the facts to show that how the war was conducted, especially the critical few months after the occupation, is simply mind-boggling for any military operation. It infuriated me to see how the decision were made and, even though I already had an idea, how stupid and arrogant Breamer and Rumsfeld really are. A.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:39 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Terrifying.

Same.