Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Sydney White 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Sydney White 

Post Sydney White
Sydney White

Quote:
Sydney White is a 2007 teen comedy film starring Amanda Bynes, Sara Paxton, and Matt Long, and based on the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Post Re: Sydney White
I was genuinely surprised by this movie! Yes, it is predictable. Yes, it follows conventional romantic comedy archetypes. But this one had genuine heart and an impeccable comedic timing by the always reliable, undeniably charming Amanda Bynes. I liked the way it updated the seven dwarves into these lovable loser/dorks who at first could've been one-note characters. Instead, I actually cared for them (aww, the Dopey-type guy) and the overall message (it's okay to be a dork/outsider) is very relatable. Lots of sight gags and references to the original animated Snow White (the "Heigh Ho" scene comes to mind, also, White's "glass coffin"... and the "poisoned apple" becomes this weird product placement). Overall, it was enjoyable.

B+

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:52 pm
Extraordinary

I liked it!

What can I say? I'm a sucker for this kind of sweet teen story and I'm a sad, sad case of an Amanda Bynes fanboy. It's no miracle of moviemaking, but it's great for it's modest genre stylings...

4 out of 5.

Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:10 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

A big surprise! This was wonderful - a sweet, funny teen comedy that has a great message about acceptance. Amanda Bynes is as charming as ever, and continues to prove why she is one of the most talented young actresses working today. It's a shame this is doing so poorly at the box office. It's a real gem that deserves an audience, and better than Bynes's She's The Man.

B+

Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:17 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

SYDNEY WHITE - 7/10 ( B )

Cute. Amanda Bynes is enjoyable as usual but the movie isn't nearly as much fun as SHE'S THE MAN. Matt Long was yummy in it though.

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:52 am
Orphan

Mike wrote:
SYDNEY WHITE - 7/10 ( B )

Cute. Amanda Bynes is enjoyable as usual but the movie isn't nearly as much fun as SHE'S THE MAN. Matt Long was yummy in it though.

Yeah, She's the Man was much wittier. Still, the film was decent and the Fangoria stuff was cool :thumbsup:

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:55 am
ef star star kay

While I didn't hate She's the Man, IMO, Sydney White is way better. I found 'She's the Man' could (and should) have been so much more than it is. The plot of guy-girl things could have been played with, in the way that is smarter and more clever. Not mention that the supporting characters were so much less interesting.

Sydney White, while is not so much more original. It's funny, cute and charming.

The leads are absolutely attractive, and not just physically but as the actors. Amanda Bynes is great as always. She has become a brand name. It's like, just her name alone will guarantee you that you won't be annoyed (well, at least not by her). It may sound easy. But actually, it's not. Being cute and funny and not become annoying in the same time is not easy. Matt Long is so hot (and I thank God for that one shirtless scene). And he is in this movie not just being a dumb who just standing there acting 'Oh.. I'm hot', like the other male leads we've usually seen in this kind of film. Being 'natural', you've got to have more than the look. I'm not saying their acting skills wowed me or something. But they really flow with the whole story.

And like many have mentioned, another key of the success of this movie is the supporting characters. While all of those characters have been done before, but with the great care from the script, it didn't take that much of time for us to care about them.

One thing I really liked about this movie is as for the 'comedic' part, it never fell into the same cliche we used to see in this kind of film.

Some say it's predictable. I'd say not entirely. I have seen lots of this kind of film. And I'm pretty sure that this movie wasn't as predictable as it could have been. For the example, there was a storyline of the enemy's ex-boyfriend in this movie. If this movie was really that predictable. There would certainly be a scene when the female lead found the male lead accidentally kissing with the bitch and the story will go from there to the direction of misunderstanding storyline between the leads.. blah blah blah. And it will eventually feel tiresome. In 'Sydney White' well, there wasn't. And when it comes to the predictability, it moved fast forward before we get annoyed. Really, I really feel like it had never gone wrong.

'Sydney White' is everything that this kind of film should be, if not more.

B+

Mon May 05, 2008 6:13 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

C

Entertaining but She's The Man was infinitely better.

Tue May 06, 2008 2:06 pm
---------

Pretty funny! I'd have to say underrated too considering not that many saw it. It's a lot more fun than She's the Man as well, with the Snow White references. My favorite was the quick "Hi, ho" march, lol.

B+

Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]