Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The Quick and the Dead 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Quick and the Dead 

Post The Quick and the Dead
The Quick and the Dead

Quote:
The Quick and the Dead is a 1995 western film directed by Sam Raimi and starring Sharon Stone, Gene Hackman, Russell Crowe and Leonardo DiCaprio. The story focuses on "The Lady" (Stone), a gunfighter who rides into the 1878 Wild West town of Redemption, controlled by the ruthless John Herod (Hackman). The Lady joins a deadly dueling competition in an attempt to exact revenge for her father's death.

Writer Simon Moore's script for The Quick and the Dead was purchased by Sony Pictures Entertainment in May 1993, and actress Sharon Stone signed on as both star and co-producer. Development was fast tracked after director Sam Raimi's hiring, and principal photography began in Old Tucson Studios in Arizona on November 21, 1993. Distribution duties were covered by Sony-owned TriStar Pictures and Columbia Pictures. The Quick and the Dead was released in the United States on February 10, 1995 to a dismal box office performance, and received mixed but generally favorable reviews from critics.

This was Woody Strode's final performance (the film is dedicated to him), as well as the last theatrical release of Roberts Blossom.

Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:33 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: The Quick and the Dead
Very solid cast and greatly crafted western by Raimi before he went too mainstream. I know its odd to say Sharon Stone as the lead, but she does the job and the rest of the cast is awesome. Russel Crowe actually used be good, Gene Hackman is great as always, and Leo was showing off his charm here. Also good short roles by Gary Sinese, Lance Henrickson, and Keith David.

A-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:50 pm
Romosexual!

Hackman is one evil bitch in this movie. :grrr:

A

Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:42 am
loyalfromlondon

It's fairly entertaining, the cast is solid, and the direction is skillful and enjoyable to watch, but the story is pretty generic and the one-note characterizations certainly don't help. For a film as stylish as this, backstories for each of the characters certainly aren't needed, and they only drag down the film into mediocrity. There's something inherently interesting about the staged gunfights of the old West, and the concept of an elimination tournament based on that has some B-movie charm to it (which is only helped by Raimi's ludicrous camera angels and shots), but the story takes itself far too seriously with ideas of guilt and vengeance. Still, you could do worse.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:22 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I always really liked it. It's not an ambitious movie, so it works well on the minor scale it's shooting for. No pun intended.

That said, it's not the kind of movie you take to the desert island. It's the kind you watch when you find it 30-minutes in on cable.

Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]