Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Gremlins 2: The New Batch 

What grade would you give this film?
A 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
B 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Post Gremlins 2: The New Batch

Quote:
Gremlins 2: The New Batch is a 1990 American horror comedy film, and a sequel to Gremlins (1984). It was directed by Joe Dante and written by Charles S. Haas, with creature designs by Rick Baker. It stars Zach Galligan, Phoebe Cates, John Glover, Robert Prosky, Haviland Morris, Dick Miller, Jackie Joseph, Robert Picardo and Christopher Lee; additionally, Frank Welker (who played Stripe in the first film) reprises his role as a gremlin. The story continues the adventures of the creature Gizmo, who spawns numerous small monsters when wet. In the first film, Gizmo's offspring had rampaged through a small fictional town. In Gremlins 2, Gizmo multiplies within a skyscraper in New York City. The new creatures thus pose a serious threat to the city should they be able to leave the building, and much of the story involves the human characters' efforts to prevent this disaster.

Like the first film, Gremlins 2 is a live action comedy-horror film. However, Dante put effort into taking the sequel in new anarchic directions. The film is meant to be more cartoon-like than the darker original, and the violence is fairly slapstick. There are also a number of parodies of other films and stories, most notably Gremlins itself, as well as the Rambo films, The Wizard of Oz, Marathon Man and The Phantom of the Opera. As with the first film, critical response varied. Some critics who thought the first film was too dark gave Gremlins 2 better reviews, but it received a colder reception from fans who thought otherwise.

Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Gremlins 2: The New Batch
I loved this film, surprised it wasnt as successful as the first. It was very funny, had a lot of great references throughout and the gremlins were more wacky this time. Sure they lost all the horror aspect (Though the Spider Gremlin scared the shit out of me when younger) This is a great sequel. Dante should make another one.

Solid A

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:06 pm
You must have big rats

This one shows that bigger doesn't mean better. Everything is up a few notches on a magnitude scale. There are more Gremlins, the city is bigger and all, but for that it lacks some of the first film's spirit.

Nevertheless, it's still almost just as much innocent fun as the first one, just not as innovative and creative. Joe Dante did it again with Small Soldiers some years later. He's quite an underappreciated director.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

I don't much like the first Gremlins, but this sequel is crazy and funny and pretty wonderful.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:41 pm

yoshue wrote:
I don't much like the first Gremlins, but this sequel is crazy and funny and pretty wonderful.

Yeah, agreed, though I like much first Gremlins too.

Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:39 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Yep! One of the rare sequels that is far better than the original.

Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:00 am
On autopilot for the summer

I think what worked better for this one was it realized that the gremlins were much better at the humor aspect then the horror. Though until we see the gremlins in the first it is a very suspenseful film though. The first is entertaining still though. I think they go well together.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:03 pm
The Kramer

Hmm, this definitely seems like a movie I should have liked more. Maybe I'm just getting burnt out on movies after watching so many new ones in quarantine. I was mostly bored throughout this entire thing though. It seems like it might have a been fun time, there's no limit to the amount of comedy and chaos that ensues. Gizmo turning into Rambo should have been hilarious, but considering the dude spends most of the movie getting tortured I just couldn't care.

C+

Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]