Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Out of Sight 

What grade would you give this film?
A 83%  83%  [ 5 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Out of Sight 

Post Out of Sight
Out of Sight

Quote:
Out of Sight is a 1998 American crime film. The film was directed by Steven Soderbergh and based on the novel of the same name by Elmore Leonard. It was the first of several collaborations between Soderbergh and star George Clooney. The film was released on June 26, 1998. It was nominated for two Academy Awards (adapted screenplay and editing). It won the Edgar Allan Poe Award for best screenplay and the National Society of Film Critics awards for best film, screenplay, and director. It led to a spinoff TV series, Karen Sisco.

Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: Out of Sight
Best on screen chemistry I have ever seen. The bit in the trunk, Yowsers!

A

Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:33 pm
Devil's Advocate

A

Wow, that was the most slick movie like, ever. Soderbergh was on O11 form except with cooler dialogues, cooler characters, a cooler Clooney, and a cooler heist plot. Everyone in this movie was so damn... cool!

The screenplay really is amazing here. The gangster dialogue took it one step further than something like Pulp or Reservoir and felt like real people talking. I could listen to the dialogues in this movie all day long, it just chews on these conversations. Probably one of the best scripts I've seen.

Clooney and Lopez have never been better. Cheadle, Zahn, and the rest of the cast do well also. I enjoyed the structure of the plot too, going back and forth. Cinematography was beautiful.

I had a few problems logic-wise, most noticeably in the whole jail escape sequence, and the fact that Clooney robbed so many banks without getting caught. I also didn't like how Jackson's character in the end(though I loved that ending and he rocked that cameo) had escaped from jail 9 times and was still going to a loose prison. They'd have tightened down on a guy like that.

Otherwise though, nearly perfect. So much fun. One of those movies that feel the need to offer any forced depth or message, it just let's itself be a movie and tell a perfectly crafted story.

Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:42 pm
Sbil

Extremely underrated. The script deservingly got an Oscar nomination. George Clooney and Jennifer Lopez are both tremendous here (this and Selena are really J. Lo's only very good performances), and their chemistry practically smolders right off the screen. A treat. A-

Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:23 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This one is one of my favorites. It's very well-written, stylish and entertaining. I love it.

A

Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:41 pm
Profile YIM
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Couldn't find the Trunk scene, so this will so. Its the sizzling chemistry its amazing!!

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:10 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Has its pleasures (quite a few, actually), but as with most of the films of Soderbergh's 'renaissance,' it's hollow and ultimately unsatisfying.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:34 pm
Sbil

yoshue wrote:
Has its pleasures (quite a few, actually), but as with most of the films of Soderbergh's 'renaissance,' it's hollow and ultimately unsatisfying.

My god, yoshue

Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:06 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Frankly, I prefer the solid but unspectacular Erin Brockovich to anything else he's squeezed out during this career revival of his, although I haven't seen Solaris.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:13 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Chris officially has no penis!

Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:34 pm
You must have big rats

Soderbergh must be the most overrated director of the past 10 years or so.

As much as it pains me to admit it, I think I pretty much agree with yosh's post about Erin Brockovich actually being his best film.

Granted, I still haven't seen Che or The Limey...

Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:35 am
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

yoshue wrote:
Frankly, I prefer the solid but unspectacular Erin Brockovich to anything else he's squeezed out during this career revival of his, although I haven't seen Solaris.

I thought Erin Brockovich wasn't bad, but there wasn't anything to stand out. Out of Sight was somehow...quite touching. I might be one of 5 people out there, but I liked Solaris a lot.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:48 am
Profile ICQ
loyalfromlondon

I enjoy it a lot, but Jackie Brown is clearly the better Elmore Leonard/Ray Niccolette film.

Granted, I haven't seen this in awhile.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:18 am
Sbil

I think Clooney and J. Lo have some of the best chemistry in movie history in Out of Sight. I think it'd be cool to see them team up again and see if J. Lo can regain some of the remarkable acting prowess she displayed early in her career (this and Selena).

Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]