Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Atonement 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 24 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 14 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 48

Atonement 
Sbil

Post Re: Atonement
Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Libs wrote:
Bradley Witherberry what is wrong with you?

Why are you so obsessed with not-so-subtly and condescendingly mocking people for how much they liked a movie? It's both annoying and strange. Why don't you just realize other people have different opinions from yourself and not act so weird about it.

Actually, I just quoted nine people from this thread who had quite similar opinions to myself...

What reason would you have had to do that other than essentially trying to say anyone who differs from all those people is "brainwashed by hype" or whatever it is you usually say?

You do this for everything that people like and you don't. You just did it for There Will Be Blood yesterday. There's even something about it in your signature.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:06 pm
Sbil

The Dark Knight wrote:
To be fair, people often use Bradley as a barometer of quality as well. How often have people said something along the lines of "oh, that's a typical strange Bradley grade." I'm guilty of it too.

It's just part of the Everyone's A Critic hierarchy.

I for one would be willing to never again comment on Bradley's movie taste if he stopped this whole "I'm brilliant and see the real truth" nonsense about films he doesn't like.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:28 pm
Commander and Chef

bradley is brilliant ... in that 'my special kid is so brilliant' way.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

Benny Lava wrote:
bradley is brilliant ... in that 'my special kid is so brilliant' way.

I'm not one for tossing the word "retarded" around, but...

...true that.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:41 pm
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

The weakest of the BP noms... which isn't really fair to say.

A-

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:16 pm
Devil's Advocate

I must be the only one who thinks bradley's reviews are right most of the time. Every once awhile you can read the "My real grade for this is 2.5/5 or 3/5 but I'm gonna give it 1 for shits and giggles/My real grade for this is B+ but for me that's a 10/5 with reservations", and he does have his big misses (as do we all), but you know, that's him.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:41 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Still my favorite film of 2007, A+ all the way. The ending is one of the best of the decade.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:48 pm
Extraordinary

Wait. This isn't a good movie.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:07 am
loyalfromlondon

snack wrote:
Wait. This isn't a good movie.

Ain't that the truth.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:21 am
Devil's Advocate

I think it's a solid B Oscar-romance-drama. Nothing incredible or anything but nothing to hate either.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:35 am
Indiana Jones IV

I have yet to see this one, but a friend of mine told me the entire movie revolved around the word "CUNT".....

seems a bit ridiculous, any truth to the claim?

Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:12 am
Forum General

Well, apparently this is underrated at KJ!

Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:17 am
Devil's Advocate

Steve wrote:
I have yet to see this one, but a friend of mine told me the entire movie revolved around the word "CUNT".....

seems a bit ridiculous, any truth to the claim?

Sort of. Not really.

Spoiler: show
Early in the film MacAvoy is writing a bunch of love note attempts to Knightley, then just out of whim writes a blunt "I want your wet cunt" or whatever on one of them and means to toss it aside by mistake. When he goes to send the real letter he picks up that one instead. When she receives it, it leads to a confrontation between them that acts as a critical chess piece setting up "THE EVENT TO BE ATONED." So it pushes the plot forward, but it doesn't revolve around it or anything.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:24 am
Extraordinary

da torri wrote:
Well, Bradley...

Atonement is no Soul Plane, that's for sure...

I went to check out your thoughts and opinion on Soul Plane in the review thread, but found that this fine comedy doesn't have one yet. However, I have requested one, and I'm looking forward to reading your review shortly...

:)

Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:04 am
Commander and Chef

thinking about it, atonement in my opinion may just be one of the worst films, not just to be nominated but to be made.

this is a true example of what films should NOT be.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:45 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

A beautifully and wonderfully shot film, Atonement is one of 2007's brightest points. When the lead, Briony (played by Saoirse Ronan in the first half) accuses her older sister Cecilia's (played by Keira Knightley) lover Robbie (played by James McAvoy) of a crime he id not commit, their three lives would change forever. Ronan really shines in this film and so do the other actors who betray her character in the future (Romola Garai and Vanessa Redgrave). Cecilia and Robbie's relationship in the film is done spot on and never misses a beat. Knightley and McAvoy really do shine in their given roles. The film's score is one of the best of 2007. Also the story did a great job by telling both sides of the story from what Briony sees and what actually happened. I still have yet to watch Michael Clayton but I think its safe to say that Atonement is the best BP nom of 2007. A

Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:35 am
Profile WWW

I'm not sure if this is as good as Michael Clayton or not. This is better in the epic sweeping romance and the brilliant storytelling, not to mention the little directorial touches like fade outs and voice overs that really add to the film. But Michael Clayton's complete ground into its characters and the reality they exist in, not to mention Gilroy's incredible ability to make everything feel artifical and believable at certain segments is remarkable.
In the end I'd say this is the fourth best BP nom and Clayton the worst, but that's really saying something about 2007, one of the greatest years for modern film.
5/5

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:52 am
The Lubitsch Touch

ugh

Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:53 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

John Savage wrote:
not to mention Gilroy's incredible ability to make everything feel artifical and believable at certain segments is remarkable.

Artifical [sic] and believable? Is that possible? I found Michael Clayton incredibly boring with a simple plot disguised as complex and a scene chewing Tom Wilkinson. George Clooney played the same hip character that he usually does.

Atonement was better, but it was not worthy of a BP over films like The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. This may just be a flaw in the source material, but I felt the "cunt" device to not work very well.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:21 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Atonement was every bit deserving of its nod. If there was a movie among the nominated crop that was absolutely worst it's Juno. I still don't get all the go-go-ga-ga people went over it. It's barely a mediocre movie. Besides the worthiness of BP nom/win went completely down the toilet when Crash took the statue. So Oscar is really only fun and games.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:05 am
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Hauptsache nicht 'Atonement', Loki.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:00 am
Profile WWW