Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Atonement 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 24 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 14 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 48

Atonement 

Post Atonement
Atonement

Quote:
Atonement is a 2007 European romantic suspense war film directed by Joe Wright. It is a film adaptation of the 2001 novel of the same name by Ian McEwan. The film stars James McAvoy, Keira Knightley, and Saoirse Ronan. It was produced by Working Title Films and filmed throughout the summer of 2006 in England and France, but especially at estate Goodson, located in East Grinstead, West Sussex, home of the famous Dame Fay Goodson. Distributed worldwide by Universal Studios (with the North American release handled through its Focus Features division), it was released in the United Kingdom and Ireland on 7 September 2007, and in North America on 7 December 2007.

Atonement opened the 64th Venice International Film Festival, making Wright, at the age of 35, the youngest director ever to open the event. The film also opened the 2007 Vancouver International Film Festival.

The film won an Oscar for the Best Original Score at the 80th Academy Awards, and was nominated for six others, including Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Supporting Actress (Saoirse Ronan). At the 61st British Academy Film Awards, it won the Best Film of the Year, and the Production Design award.

Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:40 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: Atonement
http://www.worldofkj.com/articleIndex.php?tid=30796

Beautifully crafted film, tastes far better then regular Oscar Bait.

Quote:
It may still be early in the game but the Oscar hopefuls are already flexing their muscles with festival screenings and early reviews. But 5 into 10-15(?) will not go and some films will have to fall short. And if one of the films cast aside turns out to be Atonement it won't be because of a lack of quality. This Joe Wright directed adaptation of the 2001 novel of the same name is a sublime slice of cinema that touches on and deals with themes most other films could only dream to handle with half as much finesse.

A tale of regret, love denied and the ghostly hell of war Atonement begins in an English country estate in the mid 1930s as a terrible lie by a young Briony Tallis (played in her younger guise by Saoirse Ronan) rips apart the lives of several characters, in particular those of her sister Cecilia (Kiera Knightley) and her lover Robbie (James McAvoy). The film then casts forward 5 years to the Second World War as the fallout of that lie is laid out before us and the question of how the main players involved deal with its destructive ramifications.

McAvoy builds on the promise shown in last years "The Last King of Scotland" portraying Robbie with an understated class, while Kiera Knightley adds humility to a character that could so easily have been nothing more then a shallow caricature. Elsewhere praise should be given to Saoirse Ronan as she delivers a performance filled with youthful distrust and jealousy. With these players firing on all cylinders (including Romola Garai in the role of Briony as an 18 year old nurse) Atonement was never going to be let down in the thespian department, and tied to the superbly structured story this film pushes past any derisive Oscar Bait jibes to be lauded as a complete package in its own right. The impressive attention to detail of the sets and the inventive score (which even incorporates the click of the typewriter in the music) also warrant mention as well.

The flow is serenely handled, the first act doesn't hurry its points and through the usage of viewing certain scenes from multiple character angles it conveys the sense of misjudgement that plays its part in the terrible lie of the film. In a sense it's a film split into two sections, first all setup and mood, the second consequence and response. And its in this second section the film really brings its points home. There are many human emotions and for most to convey them isn't a difficult task, but to convey regret and a longing to right wrongs is a difficult thing. It can often come off as fake and forced a simple pained expression or response of sadness, with Atonement we see it dealt with in a far more realistic manner. There is no easy answer, no payoff; the wrong can't ever be retracted. One can't do anymore then attempt to do right from there on in penance.

From a technical standpoint one should also mention the Dunkirk tracking shot. It's a marvel to watch it unfold through its uninterrupted 7 minutes. It doesn't cut corners at any point, the entire beach and its surroundings in view throughout, it's a marvellously affecting image of the ragged destructive madness of war and its messy endgame.

What can one take from Atonement in the end? A lesson that we are all looking for a moment of happiness or contentment. Be it to address your wrongs or to finally find time with the one you love. It's a message that is so often butchered in a sea of Hollywood schmaltz and artificial results. Atonement offers this with no easy denouncement, only the lesson and in the end the lesson is the most important. If Oscar has brains this will be at the big table come next year.

Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:59 am
Wallflower

Since this comes out this next week I may as well bump up this thread.

This looks like the best film of the year. I've watched the trailer several times, and the last time it almost made me cry. I'm hoping for a tearjerker, but I'd also like a happy ending (I doubt it's possible but for some reason some people seem to feel cheated by the ending so I'm curious why that it). So we'll see. I don't know how it ends, and don't want to before seeing it. I had thought about reading the book first, but think I'll wait and watch the movie because otherwise I might end up disappointed in the movie if it doesn't follow the book as well as I'd like it to. Then I might read the book.

Anyway, I'm dying to see it. The cinematography, music, etc... look amazing.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:42 am
Team Kris

Dude, the title alone should give an indication of what the ending might be. Anyway I have read the novel and the end is powerful. Hopefully it translates well on screen.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:58 am
Wallflower

Christian wrote:
Dude, the title alone should give an indication of what the ending might be. Anyway I have read the novel and the end is powerful. Hopefully it translates well on screen.

Not necessarily ;). I mean, obviously it won't be happy, but maybe it won't be totally heartbreaking. It depends on how it plays out.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:46 pm
Team Kris

Mike wrote:
Christian wrote:

Not necessarily ;). I mean, obviously it won't be happy, but maybe it won't be totally heartbreaking. It depends on how it plays out.

In either case, grab a tissue. :thumbsup:

Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:48 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Christian wrote:
Mike wrote:
Christian wrote:

In either case, grab a tissue. :thumbsup:

You can say that again :tears:

Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:55 pm
Lover of Bacon

Didn't realise i hadn't posted here, and i can only echo most of what gulli said. McAvoy was the standout for me, along with the score (such a wonderful score). Visually stunning, certain scenes literally take your breath away with their immense style and beauty. Technically brilliant, the dunkirk scene is the scene of the year and i'd be amazed if it wasn't a front-runner come oscar time in a whole host of categories. If it loses out on cinematography i'll boycott the oscars.

Minor flaw - The final act jolts the flow and took me 'out of the film' for a moment, but once you realise why it works just fine.

I should add i hadn't read the book before seeing the movie, so this probably heightened the emotional impact somewhat.

A strong A and worth revisiting many times.

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:26 am
We had our time together

A mixed bag for me. The first half was wonderful and worked perfectly but the second half kinda lost me now and then. It wasn't half as heartbreaking as expected and I couldn't feel the big love between Robbie and Cecilia. And Cecilia is barely in the movie for the second half. The acting was very good all around, especially child Briony. You could see there was a lot missing from the book (which I'm reading right now). Overall it was a pretty good movie, just not the masterpiece I wanted. B+

Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

loyalfromlondon wrote:
C+

Just didn't move me. Pretty sets, pretty cinematography, pretty cast, and a pretty dull story.

Am I broken? :(

It means your beyond repair. :(

Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:35 pm
Team Kris

loyalfromlondon wrote:
C+

Just didn't move me. Pretty sets, pretty cinematography, pretty cast, and a pretty dull story.

Am I broken? :(

Who's the hottest Briony? Saoirse or Vanessa Redgrave???

Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:15 pm
Wallflower

I've watched the trailer twice today. It's going to seem like forever before this expands to my theater. I wish I knew when they plan on putting it wide.

Anyway, the trailer itself now makes me cry. I'm extra emotional lately after reading "Call Me By Your Name," and for some reason the stories remind me of each other. It's probably because of the settings and the fact that both are heartbreaking love stories. But regardless, the last 20-30 seconds of the trailer break my heart.

I'm thinking I might end up reading the book in the meantime to hold me off until I can see the movie, but I don't know.

Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:14 pm
Golfaholic

Pure brillance. What a cast, what a directing job, what a tremendous way to bring a book to the screen that was deemed unfilmable. It is the raqre masterpiece that grabs you and doesan't let you go for days. It's even better than the novel. A+

Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:03 pm
Wallflower

loyalfromlondon wrote:
Mike wrote:
I've watched the trailer twice today. It's going to seem like forever before this expands to my theater. I wish I knew when they plan on putting it wide.

It's playing at Uptown. How far are you from Minneapolis?

3 hours. I live way on the other side of the state. Thankfully it will go wide enough and play at my theater eventually.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:38 am
Extraordinary

How depressing!

...only I wish I was describing how this movie made me feel...

...but unfortunately, I'm reporting to you what an abject failure this movie ended up being.

:(

I love this kind of tragic melodrama, but yikes! Joe Wright, the director, sucked any goodness out of every scene with his trite storytelling choices. It is too precious by far. I guess they must have hired him for his pretty pictures, cause it all looked very nice.

One thing's for sure - - it'ain't no Notebook!!! This movie could only dream of being a movie that came by it's emotion as honestly as The Notebook...

The actors in Atonement were adequate, but even Keira Knightley, who has consistently impressed me (except for some unfortunate role choices... q.v. POTC2&3), here shows signs of slipping up - - she was not entirely consistent in her performance. And James McAvoy could rapidly become the new Orlando Bloom if he's not careful - - he's certainly gotta stop taking these effete roles. Oh well, at least he's got his Narnia series work as Mr. Tumnus to fall back on.

This movie is a sad disappointment; it is a great idea horribly squandered.

2 out of 5. (BAD)

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:40 am
Devil's Advocate

THAT'S where I recognize his face from. I swear that's been killing me for weeks. Mr. Tumnus...

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:42 am
Wallflower

The Notebook is so overrated. It's good, but aside from a couple of great young actors there's nothing keeping it from being thrown into the mix of movies like A Walk To Remember, Here on Earth, and Sweet November. Sure it's slightly better than them, but still, I wouldn't hesitate to lump it in with them. I can't imagine this isn't lightyears better.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:02 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I have a new #1 of 2007 :wub2:

Mini-review later.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:59 pm
Profile YIM
Extra on the Ordinary

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
How depressing!

...only I wish I was describing how this movie made me feel...

...but unfortunately, I'm reporting to you what an abject failure this movie ended up being.

:(

I love this kind of tragic melodrama, but yikes! Joe Wright, the director, sucked any goodness out of every scene with his trite storytelling choices. It is too precious by far. I guess they must have hired him for his pretty pictures, cause it all looked very nice.

One thing's for sure - - it'ain't no Notebook!!! This movie could only dream of being a movie that came by it's emotion as honestly as The Notebook...

The actors in Atonement were adequate, but even Keira Knightley, who has consistently impressed me (except for some unfortunate role choices... q.v. POTC2&3), here shows signs of slipping up - - she was not entirely consistent in her performance. And James McAvoy could rapidly become the new Orlando Bloom if he's not careful - - he's certainly gotta stop taking these effete roles. Oh well, at least he's got his Narnia series work as Mr. Tumnus to fall back on.

This movie is a sad disappointment; it is a great idea horribly squandered.

2 out of 5. (BAD)

:er:

I don't know if that's intended as a joke! lol

Gah...I really want to see this!

Best Actress 2008

Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Some people actually think The Notebook is a great film :funny: :P.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:18 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Well Bradford disliking and Cory loving was always going to happen.

I await the unknowns with interest.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:25 pm
Extraordinary

Not a joke - - I loved The Notebook...

Gullimont wrote:

I had the highest hopes going into Atonement - - I love that kind of historical melodramatic romance - - it was a true surprise to me that it ended up being so poorly done...

Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:30 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Not a joke - - I loved The Notebook...

Gullimont wrote:

I had the highest hopes going into Atonement - - I love that kind of historical melodramatic romance - - it was a true surprise to me that it ended up being so poorly done...

Ok Bradford, I shall believe you this time :)

Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:38 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This film? Poorly done? :funny:

Some of the best directorial work I've seen in ages is on display in this film.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:42 pm
Profile YIM
Jordan Mugen-Honda

loyalfromlondon wrote:
I wouldn't call it poorly directed either. I mean, the film doesn't work because of the flat script and acting. But the directing was top notch, as was the overall production.

What did you think of the ending?

Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 226 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next