Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Halloween (2007) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
B 22%  22%  [ 6 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
D 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
F 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 27

Halloween (2007) 
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

Post Re: Halloween (2007)
Such a shame this didn't turn out to be what I had hoped for, which was a good, at least a little scary, fun horror movie... but I got boring mediocracy.

C

Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:57 am
Superman: The Movie

I watched the director's cut for the first time tonight. I can't say I'm shocked that it's somehow worse than the already awful theatrical cut. And were we really supposed to buy that rape scene? Those guards were the biggest bunch of dumbfucks. Their plan was to rape the patient hoping Michael would join in, while leaving the door wide open? Did they fail to see that Michael was about 7'0 and about twice as big as them (another fault of the film)? And that scene only reinforces my point about how the women were treated in this film.

Just like with my review, the only real positives I can say the film has is that there are two decent scares and it contains Carpenter's original score, despite Tyler's attempt to fuck it up. I'm not sure if it's the same as in the theatrical cut (which I have not watched since it was in theaters), but Tyler brings in Carpenter's themes at really inapporpirate times. Did we really have to hear the main theme when the bully is walking away from the school while Michael stares at him? And did we really have to hear the stalking theme when Laurie is first introduced when she's talking with her parents and then walking with the kid she's babysitting. What's the point in using it there? It's broad daylight and she isn't by herself at any point. Oooh, real scary. Both scenes would've been much better off without the use of any music. It would've made them actually creepy. As a matter of fact, the only point that theme is properly used is when Laurie is in the basement (at least I think it was the basement) towards the end of the film when she's struggling to get out.

And speaking about the ending in this cut; how is Loomis able to - A) Survive? and B) Still be able to see after Michael plunged his thumbs into them causing them to bleed? Shortly after Michael does that to Loomis, not only isn't there blood around his eyes, but they're in perfect condition.

Zombie shouldn't be allowed to make another film again.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:20 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Jmart007 wrote:
I watched the director's cut for the first time tonight. I can't say I'm shocked that it's somehow worse than the already awful theatrical cut. And were we really supposed to buy that rape scene? Those guards were the biggest bunch of dumbfucks. Their plan was to rape the patient hoping Michael would join in, while leaving the door wide open? Did they fail to see that Michael was about 7'0 and about twice as big as them (another fault of the film)? And that scene only reinforces my point about how the women were treated in this film.

Just like with my review, the only real positives I can say the film has is that there are two decent scares and it contains Carpenter's original score, despite Tyler's attempt to fuck it up. I'm not sure if it's the same as in the theatrical cut (which I have not watched since it was in theaters), but Tyler brings in Carpenter's themes at really inapporpirate times. Did we really have to hear the main theme when the bully is walking away from the school while Michael stares at him? And did we really have to hear the stalking theme when Laurie is first introduced when she's talking with her parents and then walking with the kid she's babysitting. What's the point in using it there? It's broad daylight and she isn't by herself at any point. Oooh, real scary. Both scenes would've been much better off without the use of any music. It would've made them actually creepy. As a matter of fact, the only point that theme is properly used is when Laurie is in the basement (at least I think it was the basement) towards the end of the film when she's struggling to get out.

And speaking about the ending in this cut; how is Loomis able to - A) Survive? and B) Still be able to see after Michael plunged his thumbs into them causing them to bleed? Shortly after Michael does that to Loomis, not only isn't there blood around his eyes, but they're in perfect condition.

Zombie shouldn't be allowed to make another film again.

Now, if Michael Bay would've remade this, do you think this would've been better than Zombie's attempt or should they simply have left well enough alone??

Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:13 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Do you mean if Bay produced this like with his recent horror gigs or if he actually directed it? I'm not sure what would've happened if he directed this. He hasn't directed a horror film (insert joke here) yet, but I'd imagine it'd be a better film just as long as Zombie's script wasn't used. The same applies to if he had been producer and hired someone to direct, etc.

It (hopefully) can't get much worse than Zombie's vision when it comes to Halloween. There's always Halloween 2 to prove me wrong though.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Not terrible, but not good either. I have not been so depressed watching a movie in a long time. Maybe ever.

Grade: C+

Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:33 pm
Ocarina of Time

C

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:15 pm
Forum General

I still love this movie. ;) And the insanely underrated sequel.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Halloween [2007]
The Dark Shape wrote:
Can I borrow whatever it is that blocks out horrid structure, laughable acting, and one of the most boring finales of all time?

It is so funny reading through this thread. :P I just finished watching this for the first time in three years and I don't know where my love for it came from. It had to be because I loved Rejects so much, followed the production of this so closely and my expectations were so sky high it was unbelievable. I stand by the Scout, Danielle Harris and SMZ were very good in the movie, despite some truly awful dialogue (I swear I don't remember the dialogue in the beginning being so bad at times). The direction is fantastic and like I said in my original review, I love the Laurie/Tommy relationship.

But with the good, there is that dialogue. Not all of it is terrible but good lord, a good portion of it is. The adult Smith Grove scenes are torture and the rest stop sequence is hilariously bad and the finale goes on for a bit too long, though I stand by that I liked the actual ending with Scout screaming.

It's still incredibly enjoyable but watching it as an adult, it has a totally different effect. I'm sure I will get shit for this, but I definitely enjoy Zombie's sequel more than this. That movie I do truly love. You could tell he cared there, in this it is like he is just phoning it is.

Still, this is a masterpiece compared to Lords of Salem. I don't know what I'd give this now. Maybe a high 7/10? I was originally thinking a 8/10 but it definitely doesn't deserve the same rating that I gave the sequel.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Halloween [2007]
movies35 wrote:
I will get shit for this, but I definitely enjoy Zombie's sequel more than this.

I'm right there with you. Zombie's HALLOWEEN II is flawed, but it's really, really ambitious and works a good chunk of the time.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:26 pm
now we know

I remember it differently that the film I just watched. I remember that it was more scary, but this was crap. I do not know if in this unrated version they cut loads of stuff out or something. Isn't an unrated version supposed to mean that all the stuff you saw in the cinema is in there PLUS more? The film runs for 2hr 1min, but still it felt that there was less gore and deaths, and it all just wasn't scary. I felt as though this version wasn't as "sick" as before when I watched it.

C

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:49 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5