Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Sleeper 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Sleeper 

Post Sleeper
Sleeper

Quote:
Sleeper is a 1973 futuristic science fiction comedy film, written by Woody Allen and Marshall Brickman, and directed by Allen. The plot involves the adventures of the owner of a Greenwich Village, NY health food store played by Woody Allen who is cryogenically frozen in 1973 and defrosted 200 years later in an inept totalitarian state. The film contains many elements which parody notable works of science fiction.

Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: Sleeper
I want to know what types of drugs Allen was on in the 70s, because it must have been some great stuff.

Sleeper is just another addition to the 70s Allen lunacy. It's been a while since I saw it, but that benny hill style chase near the end still gets me.

Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:42 pm
Extraordinary

Miles Monroe: I'm what you would call a teleological, existential atheist. I believe that there's an intelligence to the universe, with the exception of certain parts of New Jersey.

Luna Schlosser: I'm great physically. I got a Ph.D. in oral sex.
Miles Monroe: Yeah, they make you take any Spanish with that?

[a 22nd century historian shows Miles a videotape of Howard Cosell]
Historian: We weren't sure at first what to make of this, but we developed a theory: we feel that when people committed great crimes against the state, they were forced to watch this.
Miles Monroe: Yes. That's exactly what it was.

Miles Monroe: Perform sex? Uh, uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you, if you like.

Luna Schlosser: It's hard to believe that you haven't had sex for 200 years.
Miles Monroe: 204, if you count my marriage.

Dr. Melik: This morning for breakfast he requested something called "wheat germ, organic honey and tiger's milk."
Dr. Aragon: [chuckling] Oh, yes. Those are the charmed substances that some years ago were thought to contain life-preserving properties.
Dr. Melik: You mean there was no deep fat? No steak or cream pies or... hot fudge?
Dr. Aragon: Those were thought to be unhealthy... precisely the opposite of what we now know to be true.
Dr. Melik: Incredible.

[Miles gets to look at some pictures to identify the people on them]
Miles Monroe: This was Josef Stalin. He was a communist, I was not too crazy about him, had a bad mustache, lot of bad habits. This is Bela Lugosi. he was, he was the mayor of New York city for a while, you can see what it did to him there, you know. This is, uhm, this is, uh, Charles DeGaulle, he, he was a very famous French chef, had his own television show, showed you how to make souflets and omelettes and everything.

Luna Schlosser: You have to give yourself up! They won't hurt you. They'll re-structure your brain.
Miles Monroe: My brain??! It's my second favorite organ!

Luna Schlosser: Sex is different now. There are no problems. Everyone is frigid now.
Miles Monroe: So all the men are impotent.
Luna Schlosser: Pretty much, except for those whose ancestors were Italian.
Miles Monroe: I knew there was something in that pasta.

Miles Monroe: [about his robotic dog] Is he housebroken or is he going to leave batteries all over the floor?

Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:53 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Great movie, although I prefer Love & Death, Bananas, and Take the Money and Run from the "early, funny" period.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:14 am
Devil's Advocate

Copied agian...

Maybe I was just tired when I saw this, but I was pretty disappointed. I think Woody's intentions are clear, that he wants to make a homage to the slapstick silent age, but I don't think those silent gag moments are all that succesful or funny, he was evidently still trying things out here. The music is a little blatent... you can have silent-esque gags without going into movie on helium mode.

I also wasn't that entranced by the plot, it was pretty... standard. I liked Diane Keaton's energy, and while comedically you could see the beginning of great chemistry, as a romance didn't really work IMO. I thought Woody's script was also surprisingly a lot less sharp than in Bananas or Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex, I wasn't laughing much at the dialogs... but then again, maybe I was tired. All the other supporting actors in the film don't register, which is unfortunate considering the universally great acting his last film brought. I also thought Woody and Keaton's dynamic weakened when she stopped being the spoilt girl... the Streetcar Named Desire sketch was decent enough, but it also kind of reeked of "Hey, wouldn't it be fun if we spent a day imitating Brando and Leigh in reverse genders? Yeah I totally wanna do that. We'll stuff it in somewhere"

Where it does succeed, is in the futuristic world he creates. It's actually probably a lot more accurate than most sci-fi films. The people haven't changed much, they're still spoiled and lazy and a slave to fashion themes, a lot of the best technology has gone towards sex machines and trivial additions like making crops and chickens huge, but for the most part the world still looks kind of the same. That's where most of the funny and worth of the film came from, for me.

Anyways, as a whole, I was pretty disappointed, but it had its virtues.

EDITED - Groucho's post made me remember some of the better lines in the film. I'll give it 3/5

Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:33 am
Kypade

I was disappointed in this film too, the first time I saw it. Probably would have called it my least favorite of his. But I rewatched it a few weeks ago and found it way, way funnier the second time.

Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]