Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 High School Musical 2 

What grade would you give this film?
A 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
F 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 8

High School Musical 2 

Post High School Musical 2
High School Musical 2

Quote:
High School Musical 2 is the second film in the High School Musical series. The World Premiere took place on August 17, 2007 at Disneyland, in Anaheim, California. The primary cast, including Zac Efron, Corbin Bleu, Vanessa Hudgens, and Ashley Tisdale, attended the event. The film debuted on television on August 17, 2007, on Disney Channel in the U.S., and on Family in Canada.

In the second installment of the Disney franchise, high school student Troy Bolton stresses over getting a job, with the price of college expenses looming on his mind, as well as trying to make sure he and Gabriella Montez are able to stay together all summer. This situation attracts the attention of Sharpay Evans, who attempts to steal Troy for herself by hiring him at her family's country club.

The premiere was seen by a total of over 18 million viewers in the United States which is almost 10 million more than its predecessor, making it the highest-rated Disney Channel Movie of all time.

Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Post Re: High School Musical 2
High School Musical won an Emmy?! :shock: :noway: :whaa:

Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:57 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

High School Musical won more than just one Emmy.

A

High School Musical 2 was even better than what I was first expecting, and I went into it thinking it would be better than the first one even, given that the soundtrack is stronger, and from all the behind the scenes bits I have watched. More screen time is given to the co-stars in this one, which is pretty cool, and I'm glad they included them more, and actually gave a few that didn't have names in the original, names. The songs are just better. The dancing is better. The presentation is better. The acting, while not great, improved. The break-up scene/musical number between Troy and Gabriella is probably the best example, followed by Troy's redemption musical number. The beginning felt like they were rushing to get to the musical numbers, but about half-way through that changed, and you wanted to hear/know what was going on between the characters more so than just hearing the musical numbers. Sharpay is the most interesting character this time around. She may have been in the original also, but it really shows this time around. And Ryan shines much more in this one as well, finally becoming more than just Sharpay's puppet brother of sorts. Overall, just about every character became much more interesting, save for Chad and Monique, who didn't have alot going on in this one, but they didn't have much in the original either. Maybe when High School Musical 3 comes out next year in theatres, more time will be spent on them. The songs are the biggest improvement, more so than the character development and dancing, in my opinion. You Are The Music In Me, Gotta Go My Own Way, Bet On It, and Everyday are really great songs lyrically (sp?), and are turning points in the film. Oh yeah, the humor is also improved, while kid/pre-teen stuff mostly, it's still better than the original. I'm still wanting Kelsy to get hooked up with someone dammit! She is the only one who isn't paired! Maybe in High School Musical 3. :yes: So, overall, it improves over the original in pretty much every way possible, and I'm gonna be watchin the sing-along that will air SUN! :biggrin: OH!, and Zac is shirtless in this one more. Big plus. :lol:

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

lol

Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:43 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

kypade wrote:
lol

Trying to say you want this stickied? I agree, but forgot to request that. Why not?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:30 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It was past "so bad it was funny."
I fell asleep.
I NEVER fall asleep.

F

Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:59 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

s snack wrote:
It was past "so bad it was funny."
I fell asleep.
I NEVER fall asleep.

F

Did you watch the first one?

This one is better in almost every way possible.

Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I liked this one better than the first, but that doesn't say much, really. "Bet On It" had to have been one of the cheesiest scenes in the history of musicals.

I watched the movie for all the supporting people (the overexaggerated gestures/movements on Vanessa and Zac make me want to gag); Ashley Tisdale is great as the spoiled and bratty Sharpay. Lucas Grabeel really shined in this one; I wish his character had had more to do.

The best sequence of the entire movie and franchise was "I Don't Dance". Freaking brilliant!

And of course, there's already tons of Chad/Ryan shippers popping up on IMDb... LOL. Can't blame them... I totally see it.

I'm not going to grace this movie with a grade, since I feel just... indifferent about it. Not the worst movie ever made, but certainly not very good either... It's just... filler.

Joy

Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

It's well recieved by the critics so far. After 25 reviews at Metacritic, it holds a 72/100, and an 8/10 User Grade.
http://www.metacritic.com/tv/shows/highschoolmusical2

Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:57 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Much like the first film, this still suffers from a terrible screenplay and generally mediocre acting from the leads. The only somewhat decent performance comes from Ashley Tisdale, who has a good time with her role and isn't as mind-numbingly annoying as she is in the first. But this one is just so entertaining, and miles better than the awful first film. It's a big guilty pleasure, and the songs and musical numbers are all fun and catchy without being annoying. The budget has also obviously increased a great deal, since this is more polished and well-directed than its predecessor, which often felt cheap and amateurish. For a TV movie, it really wasn't that bad, and it was perfectly suitable for its target audience.

C+

Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:12 pm
Profile YIM
Kypade

these arent real movies tho right? theyre fake ones. why are people talking about them? metarticit?

Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:27 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

As an unabashed fan of the original, I had high hopes going into this one. And for the most part, they were well founded. A couple of songs were a bit weak, and the whole thing felt a bit longer this time out (probably because it was - note to filmmakers: this type of film should be kept short and sweet, preferably under 90 minutes), but, overall, just as infectious, entertaining and downright fun as the first.

A

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:17 am
Extraordinary

[Note: I liked the first one.]

Hard to believe how nostalgic High School Musical made me feel for the emotional resonance of the original's writing and it's predeccesor's care for character. This one turned into the Zac Effron Song & Dance Spectacular with the story simply recycled from the first one, with a more colorful resort setting this time out.

Yow!

This one's a big, big step down. As a matter of fact, it's closer to freefall...

2 out of 5.

(I'm kinda dreadin' HM3... :noway: )

Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:28 am
Extraordinary

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
[Note: I liked the first one.]

Hard to believe how nostalgic High School Musical made me feel for the emotional resonance of the original's writing and it's predeccesor's care for character. This one turned into the Zac Effron Song & Dance Spectacular with the story simply recycled from the first one, with a more colorful resort setting this time out.

Yow!

This one's a big, big step down. As a matter of fact, it's closer to freefall...

2 out of 5.

(I'm kinda dreadin' HM3... :noway: )

For once, we agree.
But it's the Zac Effron Song & Dance Spectacular With Infinite Gratuituous Zac Efron Partial Nudity and/or Muscle Shots

Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:00 am
Extraordinary

s snack wrote:
For once, we agree.
But it's the Zac Effron Song & Dance Spectacular With Infinite Gratuituous Zac Efron Partial Nudity and/or Muscle Shots

"But on the outside, I look good!"

(Gratuitous Hairspray quote.)

Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:23 am
Vagina Qwertyuiop

I thought it was pretty much the same as the first in terms of screentime handed out. Sharpay and Ryan (the latter especially) certainly got given more to do.

The one thing that jarred with me was the way Sharpay seemingly did a complete u-turn this film. At the end of the first, she was singing "we're all in this together" with the best of them and appeared to have grown as a character. In this she was back at square one from the get go and learning the same lesson all over again.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:36 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Snrub wrote:
I thought it was pretty much the same as the first in terms of screentime handed out. Sharpay and Ryan (the latter especially) certainly got given more to do.

The one thing that jarred with me was the way Sharpay seemingly did a complete u-turn this film. At the end of the first, she was singing "we're all in this together" with the best of them and appeared to have grown as a character. In this she was back at square one from the get go and learning the same lesson all over again.

I hope Chad and Monique get just a little more screentime in HSM3. They haven't developed at all, so far. All the others (Troy, Gabriella, Sharpay, and Ryan have, but not those two. I also want something different to happen with Kelsy next time. Be more in the spotlight instead of writing the songs and playing the piano.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

B

i enjoyed it but the music in teh first one are better.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:46 pm
Extraordinary

Cadavera wrote:
I also want something different to happen... next time.

I couldn't agree more...

Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]