Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Death at a Funeral (2007) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

Death at a Funeral (2007) 

Post Death at a Funeral (2007)
Death at a Funeral

Quote:
Death at a Funeral is a 2007 British black comedy film directed by Frank Oz. The screenplay by Dean Craig focuses on a family attempting to resolve a variety of problems while attending the funeral of the patriarch.

Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

Post Re: Death at a Funeral
A really funny comedy in Ealing tradition. I could have lived without the ill-advised shit joke, but the fabulous funny Alan Tudyk, the wonderful reserved Matthew MacFadyen and the alway reliable Peter Dinklage more than make up for it. At times a real laugh riot. B+

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:05 pm
Sbil

I knew next to nothing about this movie going in, which I think certainly aided in my enjoyment. It's a very silly, often very funny farce. In addition, it's a rare comedy that builds comic momentum as it progresses. It's a bit slight, but it's well-worth seeing. B

Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:51 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

A laugh-a-minute farce that is both wacky and charming.

A-

Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:18 am
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

Loved this movie. I was laughing so hard it hurt and didn't want it to end. Best comedy of the year. A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:30 pm
King Albert!

I saw this movie today as well.

And yes, this is easily one of the best comedies of the year. The characters are fully fleshed out, and the comedic farce situation are very well executed. Alan Tudyk gives the best (and the funniest) performance in the movie. This is one of the few movies this year that made me crack up. A must see for any comedy fan.

Grade: A.

Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:32 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Death at a Funeral or as I like to think of it: Carry On Dying is a very funny, old school, British-style, comedy film.

If you've enjoyed the repressed Brit exploding on film before - - from the aforementioned Carry On series to the earlier and classier Ealing Studio comedies - -then you just might find a place in your heart for this equally crude, yet exceedingly caring movie. If you've ever been to a family funeral that erupts in family politics, then I might even venture to shout, Hallelujah Brother! If you've ever had a gay dwarf lying head down in your stone cold crotch... errrr... never mind...

Yup, this movie is a good one... a bawdy remake of bawdy classics, deftly helmed by Frank Oz, who has shown his stuff on occasions such as the exceptional Dirty Rotten Scoudrels, as well as What About Bob, Bowfinger, and more recently, the vastly underappreciated Stepford Wives remake.

The actors were pleasantly "unrecognizable" - - something so often missing in this age of celebrity worship requiring a name-brand star to anchor every production. Here the talented ensemble was the star.

If the Brit thing doesn't work for ya - - why not just stay away and leave your complainin' at the door? If ya know this is your kinda retro-comedy-farce, then buys yerself a ticket and takes yerself a chance - - cause more than likely yer gonna laugh yer ass off...

12 out of 5.

Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:03 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

This was funny sort of film. I laughed maybe twice if that but it was still a great comedy because I had a big grin painted on my face for most of the running time.

I mean its not terribly original, if you have even a passing interest in British farce comedy then this is a by the books offering. Thankfully the strong characters make up for the contrived situations on display.

So yeah overall worth a watch.

Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:27 pm
loyalfromlondon

It's pretty funny, but it oscillates too much between dry, witty humour and rank, gross humour. Personally, I would have preferred more of the former, even if it's less laugh-out-loud funny, because it's much harder to come up with and thus reflects a more impressive comic sensibility. The characters are all fairly interesting and the acting is solid, making up for the silly story and even sillier situations. It's not as sharp as it could be, but it's a lot sharper than most.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:20 pm
Wallflower

DEATH AT A FUNERAL - 7/10 (B-)

It's more amusing than funny. I didn't laugh once.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:28 pm
You must have big rats

Well, this was a nice way to spend 90 minutes or so. Nothing groundbreaking here, but it was a fine British comedy which I expect to have some solid rewatchability and it might even go up higher in my regard on those repeat viewings. Alan Tudyk stole the show here obviously and Peter Dinklage was the other highlight. There are many many jokes that fall somewhat flat here, but a select few work really well and had me in stitches. The cast ensemble was very good, working together perfectly and having great chemistry, but sadly, it was just half as funny as it tried to be. That said, even that half was enough to be an enjoyable, darkly comic farce.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

There were only a few really laugh-out-loud moments, but overall it was very funny. I'm falling in love with Alan Tudyk :wub2:

B+

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:03 pm
What would Jesus *not* do?

I haven't this hard during a movie in long while, this film had me in tears nearly the whole way through. Great British comedy. Alan Tudyk was genious in this.

Grade A

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:44 am
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

Extremely hilarious. Such a funny movie throughout.

B+

Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:17 am
Extraordinary

The Mr Pink wrote:
I haven't * this hard during a movie in long while, this film had me in tears nearly the whole way through.

What could the missing word be?

- Cried?
- Been?

Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:33 am
He didn't look busy?!

this movie came out of nowhere and hit me by surprised. I'm really pissed that I saw it on an airplane, because it's the one place where you see a movie and really have to suppress your laughs (it was one of those planes where everyone gets their own little TV, so it's not like everyone was watching it). Hilarious comedy.
A-

Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
The Mr Pink wrote:
I haven't * this hard during a movie in long while, this film had me in tears nearly the whole way through.

What could the missing word be?

- Cried?
- Been?

:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

I'm sure it was laughed. ;)

Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:57 pm
The Wall

4/10 -> D

I expected at least a decent comedy with nods to great classic British farce. At least that's the impression I got when I heard about the movie.

But it was boring, mildly amusing during some parts, but mostly predictable and badly acted. I won't even mention bad direction. It felt like I was watching an Eastern European film.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:08 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]