Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Charade 

What grade would you give this film?
A 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Charade 

Post Charade
Charade

Quote:
Charade is a 1963 American film directed by Stanley Donen, written by Peter Stone and Marc Behm, and starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. It also features Walter Matthau, James Coburn, George Kennedy, Dominique Minot, Ned Glass, and Jacques Marin. It spans three genres: suspense thriller, romance, and comedy.

The film is notable for its screenplay, especially the repartee between Grant and Hepburn, for having been filmed on location in Paris, for Henry Mancini's score and theme song, and for the animated titles by Maurice Binder. Charade has been referred to as "the best Hitchcock movie that Hitchcock never made."

Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:28 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Charade
I love this film. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

Nebs, all I see is the word "image" where the image was for about two seconds upon opening the thread. Just an effyi.

Anyway, yeah, it's a great movie. I had actually seen it at least twice prior to watching it this afternoon, but for some reason it didn't register between picking it out and the first twenty odd minutes. It's got a great script, Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant, plenty of suspense (one of the best "who's who" sorta deals ever) and it's just really enjoyable. I love the boat scenes. :o

Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:04 pm
On autopilot for the summer

One of my favorites. The remake is utter trash. This on the otherhand is almost flawless as far as thrillers go. A+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:37 am
The Lubitsch Touch

I laugh whenever I even think of the funeral scene.

Charade is marvelous! Dark wit, great suspense, legendary stars...this is what it's all about.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:53 am
Where will you be?

Incredibly entertaining, it's fantastic.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:57 pm
Forum General

Cary grant and Audrey in a film and I heard its called the best Hitchcock like film that he never made.

Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:59 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Brilliant. A film that is 53-years old manages to please me no-end, and with two fantastic twists that I did not see coming. Really great film-making. A terrific cast, too. Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, while not the best performers in the world, are just delightful to watch, and with a sharp and loveable script to aid them. Supporting performances by James Coburn and Walther Matthau make it even more special. The rooftop duel between the amputee and Grant is awfully choreographed and not believable in the slightest, but it makes up for that with its clever plot and delicious chemistry. Charade is a film photographed like only a 60s chase-thriller could be, perfectly Hitchcockian, which is a joy to watch. I have to go back to Grant again; such a gent, with a quick old man's wit and a cool American glow of suits and smug.

It's pretty amazing how every time I watch a pre-70s film, I always get so much enjoyment from them. It seems effortless, and they are usually brimming with so much class. Hepburn's clothes were supplied by Givenchy for Charade. Details like that appearing in the opening titles is what makes Charade truly awesome. There were also things that made me feel the film was cutting edge (the boat scene going under the bridge, the surprising mention of Heroin, and in general the banter between Grant and Hepburn). The film is a beaut.

A-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
Gamaur's sex slave

If you liked Charade, I suggest Arabesque. Same director and genre, but this time with Gregory Peck and Sofia Loren. I prefer Charade, but Arabesque is also very enjoyable.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:38 pm
now we know

Not a fan of Gregory Peck, but I love Loren. I may check it out. But I've still got some Hitchcock's to see like To Catch A Thief and Shadow of a Doubt first.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

*** / ***** (C)

Plays out like a slight parody of Hitchcock thrillers, yet nowhere near as stylish or smart as it thinks it is. The plot starts out rather interesting, but as it progresses requires more and more suspension of disbelief, which is somewhat of a standard for this type of movie in that age (it seems as if Hollywood thought you always had to top all the previous spy movie twists that came before to make it worthwhile).

Hepburn and Grant are both very charming leads and their love affair is what makes the movie even though Grant was nearly in the granddaddy territory for Hepburn at that time.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]