Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Necessary Roughness 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Necessary Roughness 

Post Necessary Roughness
Necessary Roughness

Quote:
Necessary Roughness is a 1991 comedy film starring Scott Bakula and Sinbad. The film was directed by Stan Dragoti, who has also directed the movies Mr. Mom, She's Out of Control, and The Man With One Red Shoe. In addition to Bakula and Sinbad, Necessary Roughness has an additional cast of Héctor Elizondo, Robert Loggia, Larry Miller, and Harley Jane Kozak. Appearances are also made in the film by Kathy Ireland, Rob Schneider, and Fred Dalton Thompson.

The film touches on an up and coming season at the fictional higher learning institution of Texas State University and its football team nicknamed the Fightin' Armadillos. (At the time the film was made, there was no Texas State University, but in 2003, Southwest Texas State University changed its name to Texas State University-San Marcos, nicknamed the Bobcats, which coincidentally was the "season opener" opponent of the fictional Texas State Armadillos). Texas State's predicament—they are forced to start the season with a host of new coaches and players after the previous staff and players were removed after a scandal—is based on the "death penalty" handed out to the Southern Methodist University football team by the NCAA in 1987 for team violations very similar to the ones that the fictional Texas State is accused of.

The film was released in September 1991 and went on to gross over $20 million at the box office. During one scene, when the team takes part in a scrimmage game with a team of convicts, cameos are made by several NFL players. These players included Jerry Rice, Roger Craig, Earl Campbell, Dick Butkus, Ben Davidson, Tony Dorsett, Ed 'Too Tall' Jones, Herschel Walker, Jim Kelly, and Randy White. The film also has some cameo appearances from Chris Berman and Evander Holyfield.

The film was shot at various locations in Texas. Azle, Dallas, Fort Worth, and Denton were the primary locations used for filming. The University of North Texas in Denton was a major location for filming football and college scenes. Texas State's green and white uniforms in the movie are exactly the same colors worn by North Texas.

Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:33 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

It's kind of like Major League, except that it's not as funny, smart, raunchy or sports savy as the previous film. Still, it's somewhat funny and enjoyable, although it's pretty much football for dummies. It was also fun to see an extremely young Jason Bateman here.

B-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:48 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Necessary Roughness
According to a yearly version of Halliwells back in the 90s, Stallone starred in this. I've never seen anything about it since.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Necessary Roughness
I didn't remember I saw this when I was younger, but I just saw this again and it isn't too great. It's pleasant, definitely not among the best sport comedies out there, but good-natured and with a fine cast. The score from Bill Conti is probably the highlight.

B-

Tue May 05, 2020 3:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]