Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Extraordinary

Post I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry

Quote:
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry is a 2007 comedy film directed by Dennis Dugan, written by Barry Fanaro, and starring Adam Sandler and Kevin James as the title characters. The film was released on July 20, 2007, in the U.S., August 16, 2007, in Australia and on September 21, 2007, in the UK and Ireland. Although the film got negative reviews by critics for its very crude humor and portrayal of gay people, it was a financial success, ranking #1 at the box office. This film is Sandler's first to be released by Universal Studios since Bulletproof in 1996.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:26 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I'll start with the problems I had with the film. The first is the Jessica Biel/Adam Sandler relationship. I forget which review I read it in, but someone brought up the point that it should be the Kevin James character who falls for Biel and not the other way around, because although the film is about Sandler and James, it's James' movie. Everything revolves around him. The potential girlfriend scenario should too, especially since he is a widow. It wouldn't surprise me if this what Payne had in mind, but got lost in the shuffle when Sandler and crew took over. Now that's not to say what ends up on screen is bad, it's just flawed. If Sandler had played James' character and vice versa, things would've been better off. The film goes from James trying to take care of his kids, to a playboy finding love while putting up the charade of being a gay man.

Second - Rob Schneider. I like Schneider. If given the right material (The original Deuce, Benchwarmers) he can be a very funny actor. His character (Or at least how it was written) should not be in the film at all. Like the reviews I've read have mentioned, it's basically in there to make fun of a stereotype. When the entire point of the film is to do the exact opposite, this sticks out like a sore thumb.

Steve Buscemi - wasted. He's in the film all of five minutes.

Sandler's Brooklyn accent. Not awful, just annoying in places. Forced would be a good word to describe it.

Everything else though is spot on. I was worried after seeing the same TV spots and trailers showing the same stuff over and over again, that everything that was funny was in the trailer. I was wrong. Now I would say most of the film's "gag's" have been shown in the trailer, but the film works because of the smaller moments. It's at it's funniest when it doesn't try too hard.

I also liked the comedic chemistry between James and Sandler. There is not one false note in their relationship throughout the film, except for maybe a brief scene where Sandler's character is insensitive about his friend's dead wife, but I think it's supposed to fit in with the fact that he is supposed to be an insensitive schmuck early on.

Then there's the preachiness of the film. Anyone who is expecting a deep and thought provoking ending obviously has never heard of Adam Sandler or Kevin James. I do believe though that it gets it's point across and it gets it across very well, and some credit has to be given to Sandler and co. because of that. He gets it across perfectly for his core audience and that's not a negative criticism.

B+ - A weak one, but one nonetheless.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:53 pm
Profile WWW

No one went to see this? :funny:

Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

The fuck??

I'm glad. This movie does not deserve to do well.

Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:22 am
Profile YIM

Jmart007 wrote:
The fuck??

Did you see it?

Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:31 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

thompsoncory wrote:
Jmart007 wrote:
The fuck??

Did you see it?

Probably not.

Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:32 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I didn't see it. However, it seems awful and based on the critical reception, it actually is ;) I'll rent it on DVD though.

Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:33 am
Profile YIM

Well that seems fair. Then again, critics didn't like Pirates 3, so they must be right.

Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:47 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Well that seems fair. Then again, critics didn't like Pirates 3, so they must be right.
\

Oooh, burn :tongue:.

Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:03 am
College Boy Z

Not much to say. It's a typical Adam Sandler flick, so yeah, it's hilarious. Loved it.

A-

Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:16 am
Extraordinary

Hilarious!!!

(What else did ya expect with a sharp script by Alexander (Sideways/Election) Payne?!?)

((The audience was in hysterics almost continuously for the full 110 minute time. My stomach's still sore -- who needs crunches when ya got Adam Sandler?))

(((9 out of 5)))

(((( :lol: ))))

((((()))))

Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:41 am
Extraordinary

This movie's been out almost a full week and we've only got 3 reviews for it?! Comedies like this are at their very best seen in a theatre full with a lively audience. This second weekend is your next best chance to experience Chuck & Larry live, with full crowd energy.

I feel very sad for those who watch comedies on DVD. Don't let me hear you coming around this thread in six months, saying the usual: "This was way better than I expected."...

Live a little -- See it live!!!!!

Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:51 am
Sbil

A few decent laughs, but mostly throwaway and average. Adam Sandler seems more lifeless here than in previous films where he was supposed to show endless amounts of manic energy, and Kevin James is reduced to playing second fiddle, even though the movie seems like it was originally designed with him as the main character. Jessica Biel is moderately appealing but not much else on her way to a paycheck, while the supporting cast (Dan Aykroyd, Steve Buscemi, Ving Rhames) is mostly wasted. As I said, there are some laughs to be found, but the film ends up failing to distinguish itself. C+

Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:22 pm
Extraordinary

Alright! Our fourth review has arrived -- and a "C+" for this kinda comedy movie (ie: funny) is an out-and-out rave review from Libs!!!

:clap2:

Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:21 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'm sorry, but this movie looks beyond lame ;)

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:47 am
Profile YIM

You don't say? :happy:

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:56 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

I saw it with an audience from Charleston, South Carolina. The reaction was... interesting. Anyways, I laughed my fair share and didn't feel dirty from watching it, and nowadays that's all I really ask from a comedy, so I'll give it a pass. There was a lot of missed potential here.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:23 am
Extraordinary

Just for the record, it's 100% gay positive -- I think the same audience that loved Hairspray would also love Chuck & Larry!

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:45 pm
Forum General

Is that why Hairspray got glowing reviews and Chuck and Larry got absolutely shit reviews? ;)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Is that why Hairspray got glowing reviews and Chuck and Larry got absolutely shit reviews? ;)

You read reviews? Before you see movies?! Instead of seeing movies?!? Seriously? If so that's sad -- you really should try forming an opinion some time without being told what you should think.

Corporate reviewers know shit, especially when it comes to comedy...

Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:26 pm
Forum General

I'm not as against Chuck and Larry as Thom (in fact, I plan on seeing it) I'm just saying what you said is crazy. If everyone that loved Hairspray loved this, then they'd have the same fantastic reviews. I haven't formed an opinion on this, in fact I expect to enjoy it.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Where will you be?

The reviewers made it out to be worse than it was, I'd agree with bradley on that at least.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:35 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

The problem here, other than a complete lack of the funny, is its inherent message of "yeah, homosexuaity is cool and we should let them be happy, but don't forget that it's weird, disgusting and not to be encouraged."

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:26 am
Where will you be?

On a whim.

The problem here, other than a complete lack of the funny, is its inherent message of "yeah, homosexuaity is cool and we should let them be happy, but don't forget that it's weird, disgusting and not to be encouraged."

The film was definitely conflicted, but I don't think you quite hit the nail on the head, as much as I would agree had I not seen the film that your idea is the case. Sandler looks at the audience and says "Don't use the word faggot, it's hurtful. It's like kike to me." and the film has it's heart in the right place, but for every moment the film makes fun of the shocked reactions of straight people, it gets goofy and just makes the sort of jokes that could piss anyone off. So now, I don't think that they ever show homosexuality to be gross and awful, but the humor is still often immature and based around bodily functions.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:04 pm
Stanley Cup

Post Re: I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry
funny film. Not as good as blade of glory but defiantly better than sandler's last film Click

B+

Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next