Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 La môme [La vie en rose] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
B 80%  80%  [ 8 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

La môme [La vie en rose] 

Post La môme [La vie en rose]
La vie en rose

Quote:
La Vie En Rose (French pronunciation: [la vi ɑ̃ ʁoz], literally Life in Pink; released in France as La Môme, referring to Piaf's nickname "La Môme Piaf," (meaning "baby bird, birdie, little bird") is a 2007 Franco-Canadian biographical film about the life of French chanteuse Édith Piaf co-written, and directed by Olivier Dahan. Marion Cotillard stars as Piaf. The title La Vie en Rose comes from Piaf's signature song. The film won five Césars, including one for Best Actress, and Cotillard won an Academy Award for her performance, marking the first time an Oscar had been given for a French-language role. She is also the first French actress to win a Comedy or Musical Golden Globe for a foreign language role. It also became the first French film to win more than one Oscar; the other being for Makeup.

Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:24 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post La Vie en Rose - Biography Done BIG!!!
Let me preface my review by saying that before seeing this movie (aka: La Môme), I knew absolutely nothing about Edith Piaf or her music. I hadn't seen a single PBS biography of her, hadn't consciously listened to her songs/albums, hadn't read anything in print or on the net -- I was a complete Piaf-virgin.

The movie itself is big time melodrama, which I'm a sucker for already -- and here they go all out, recreating various historical settings in their full cinematographic retro glory. Then, Marion Cotillard, the actress who plays Edith Piaf goes right over the top to fashion a performance which unexpectedly seems a more realistic portrayal of the extreme life of her subject. She was outstanding.

This is a life story seemingly made for the big screen, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to see it in the theatre,

5 out of 5.

Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:02 am
Forum General

Ugh, I'm so disappointed by this. I was really interested in see this but it ended up being (after the first hour, anyway) uninteresting and painfully boring. It does make up for it in the last five minutes though, it ends on a wonderful high note and it's a beautiful scenes. Basically, it's a blown up Lifetime movies of the week. Still, if you're a fan of the artist at hand, I say check it out.

5/10 ( C )

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:46 am
Profile YIM WWW
Begging Naked

Post Re: La môme [La vie en rose]
Oddly like another film I saw this week, I found myself never really hating this in any way during my viewing and even being awe-struck by a couple aspects (Cotillard blows pretty much every other actress this year away), but by the time it was over I was kinda "eh" about it. It's not even really THAT standard of a biopic, with its very off-kilter pacing seemingly meant to capture the feel of a person reflecting over multiple aspects of their lives, but there was still something greatly lacking in the screenplay. The direction was fine though, as SOMEONE outside of Cotillard had to extract that much brilliance (And the tracking shot near the end is an excellent one), but in the end I can only appreciate it more than love it. Still a fine film, but far from a great one.

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:44 am
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Marion is amazing (make-up and all). Just wow.

The movie? Shitfest (almost).

C+

Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:22 pm
life begins now

Marion Cotillard was amazing, but she was the only great thing about this movie.

B

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:00 am
Profile YIM
Forum General

Ugh. I hated this movie. ;)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:16 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

Some interesting even great moments but they are too few. Marion Cotillard and the music, however, are great. And, really, I don't think it's much worse than most biopic films that have come out within the past few years...

C+

Best Actress 2008

Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It's pretty run-of-the-mill biopic stuff, with the exception of a few brilliant sequences (for example, when Edith receives word of the plane crash), some interesting, Scorsese-esque camera work, and one of the best performances of the year by Cotillard (up there with Cristie and Day-Lewis)

Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:01 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'll agree with the general consensus here. This movie is worth seeing for Marion Cotillard. She is fantastic in the role, delivering what is easily one of the year's best female performances. Some sequences just blew me away, namely the incredibly powerful scene after the plane crash. She really becomes the character and undergoes a major transformation reminiscent of Felicity Huffman in Transamerica or Charlize Theron in Monster. Aside from her performance, the film is merely average. None of the other performances really stand out, the plot is cliched and filled with typical "biopic" subplots, and the writing/direction is nothing special either. I think what hindered my enjoyment of this film a lot is that I wasn't a fan of the way it was presented. I understand why it was done, but the constant shifts back and forth in time proved to be distracting in the long run. Overall though, Collitard makes it worth a rental. B-

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:25 am
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

Without a doubt, Marion Cotillard delivered one of the year's best if not THE best female performance (it's between her and Amy Adams), but she's the only saving grace of this otherwise run-off-the-mill biopic. Watching the movie all I could think was "Oh yeah, suffering, more suffering, moire bad things happening and now a little more suffering...". It's really a fairly bleak film with only very few bright spots.

On the one hand, it is a generic biopic, but on the other hand, it is not when you think of the way the film is told. It's a bit off-kilter, focusing only one some specific parts of Piaf's life and jumping in time throughout the whole film which I found to be fairly annoying. But despite all its attempts to be a "different" kind of a biopic, it all still felt like the same to me. The costumes are good, the camera work is solid and the make-up is simply outstanding. Those Oscar noms that it gathered were all completely well-deserved, especially Cotillard's, but the film never reaches a big emotional impact or actually any kind of an impact on the viewer.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Marion's performance WAS the movie. She became Edith Piaf. Not sure what you guys were expecting here in terms of plot. If someone's life sucks, of course you're not going to like the storylines. Having said that, it was a little long. I'm also not a fan of the back and forth in timeline.

If Marion doesn't win though, it will be a travesty.

B

Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:04 pm
You must have big rats

Yeah...I thought Cotillard was eons better than Christie and that's not to say that Christie was bad.

Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Marion Cotillard was AMAZING. I couldn't believe my eyes. Her performance was flawless. I haven't seen the other four ladies so far but it's hard to imagine for me that they even come close to Cotillard. I can't praise her enough. That was easily one of the best female performances I've ever seen. With someone else the movie probably would have bored me to death but thanks to Cotillard it was a joy to watch. B+

Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I thought it was both an absolutely mesmerizing performance and a really well-paced, well-constructed biopic. The significance of Piaf as an icon is lost a bit at times, but overall, I was moved.

Cotillard could take home that Oscar on Sunday and I'd be just fine.

B+

Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:47 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Congrats Marion!

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

I am sooo happy she won.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:42 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Cotillard and Amy Adams delivered the two best female performances of 2007 (note: I have yet to see Linney and Page in their films). So glad she won!

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:01 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

7/10 -> B-

Marion stole the show. And that's a good thing cause if she didn't the movie wouldn't be any good.

Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:43 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

la vie en rose

grade - B for the film

grade - A for Marion Cotillard's acting.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]