Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 

What grade would you give this film?
A 55%  55%  [ 42 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 25 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
D 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 76

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 
Stanley Cup

Post Re: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
i got my wisdom teeth pulled so I decided to have a harry potter marathon since I own the whole series and this was actually only the second time I've seen OOTP. I got the DVD for christmas but just havnt had time to watch it.

Anyways, I reread my original review and basically all my problems with the film basically still stand. The film was rushed, David Yates tried a different type of direction that I did not like, the music annoyed the fuck out of me, and parts of the back story were brushed over or just left out.

However there were a lot of great things about the film. Radcliff proves that he can act giving his best performance out of the 5 films and really showed a range of remotions he needed. Watson I still think is the weakest of the 3. She is decent but when she talks her eyebrows go up and down everytime she tries to show emotion. Stanton does great as Umbridge and the whole scoop of the movie is almost epic. The last 20 minutes are fantastic and it sets up the 6th one well. Hopefully Yates tries to take away some of the cheesiness he threw in. I think having Kloves write the 6th film will help out a lot as well.

A-

1. Goblet of Fire - A- (the film is head over heels the best of the series. The last 30 minutes of that film were incredible.
2. Prisoner of Azkaban - A-
3. Order of the Phoenix - A-
4. Chamber of Secrets - B+/A-
5. Sorcerer's Stone - B+

Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:52 pm
Superman: The Movie

Before you read further, here's all you need to know - I've never read the books. I'll get to them eventually someday, but right now I have no interest in them. I have however enjoyed all of the films. I'm one of the very few people who think the first two are great, while the other three have ranged from very good, to just about as good as the first two (GOF). Then again, I haven't seen the first two films since they've came out so take that with a grain of salt.

The first two thirds of this film are just not good. After a somewhat promising opening, the film just kind of loses all of it's spark. Within an instant, I just stopped caring about what was going on. The majority of the film is all build up, and although the conclusion is satisfying (the last 30 minutes are great), it's just the first 100 minutes are kind of dead. Umbridge goes ape shit, we have the "Dumbledore Army", and that's really it. I honestly feel that this film could've been about 45 minutes long and still have the same impact. Or, I've heard that this is (or was? Not sure.) the longest book in the series? And yet this is the shortest movie? After hearing that, it makes sense because you can tell, even for someone who hasn't read the books, that a lot of stuff feels missing. The movie feels hollow, unlike the previous films.

As I said before though, I did enjoy the last 30 minutes. I thought that's when the film felt the most alive, and I thought the ending was somewhat satisfying, since we know they're two more parts. The visual aspect of the film is also very well done and imaginative. I'm going to give the film another go later on tonight to give it a second chance (and since I still have the Netlfix), but for right now;

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:23 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I really think that no Harry Potter adaptation so far suffered from as much stuff taken out while adapting the book as this one did.

Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

Just watched it again.. before I'm off to see Prince Caspian (which has been released since yesterday! damn! I was planing to see it on the first showing)..

I now have no doubt, this is the best Potter film.. so far..

A

Tue May 27, 2008 11:00 am
Powered By Hate

My main problem with the film is with all the others in the series--it's pretty good and all, and I never got bored, and there were some pretty awesome bits (I love the tone and visual style), but it's all build-up. Every single film since the second one just seems to be promising that the next one will kick you in the ass and be MUCH DARKER AND LIEK MORE ADOLESCENT NOW. But, they never really quite deliver. It's always good foreplay, failed orgasm.

Thu May 29, 2008 6:34 pm
Oh great, now I'm a waitress :D

Loved it! I'm an HP film and this is my favorite!
A+

Pan's Labyrinth
Best. Movie. Ever.

Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:58 pm
Forum General

I gave the film an A by accident.

Its a B- at most.

Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:13 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I just can't live with these films being the definitive adaptations of Harry Potter... such a waste. I mean they're not terrible, they seem to get the stories up on screen, but as films don't add ANYTHING on their own, they're just there. Hopefully in the future there's some tv movies or something that improve on the original series.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:19 am
You must have big rats

Goblet of Fire came closesat to being a definite adaptation (I know you disagree, Shack), but even that fell short. Yes, I agree that none of them really touched the books and captured the spirit. But there are three films left...heh.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:39 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I think Azkaban came the closest to catching the spirit of the books - that sense of awe and wonder. It may have been the least faithful adaptation from a strict narrative sense, but the style and atmosphere are the closest to the books, I think.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:25 pm
Devil's Advocate

The first two movies felt pretty accurate to me in terms of the look of things... they were just kind of lame Christopher Columbus kiddie movies. But I think I still like those two over Goblet and Order, which felt like a chore. So whatever.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:05 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Despite some flawed editing, this is my favorite Potter movie. I feel a bit dumb though because after several viewings, I still don't quite understand how Valdemor and Harry are connected. Someday I'll get it. LOL

I've never read any of the books so I am judging all of the movies as movies.

A-

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:30 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Mr. Reynolds wrote:
Despite some flawed editing, this is my favorite Potter movie. I feel a bit dumb though because after several viewings, I still don't quite understand how Valdemor and Harry are connected. Someday I'll get it. LOL

I've never read any of the books so I am judging all of the movies as movies.

A-

The exact reason is revealed in Deathly Hallows. If you don't want to wait until July 2011...

Spoiler: show
Harry is a horcrux

Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:23 pm
New Server, Same X

Another strong film. I really have no major complaints with 3-5. I think you HAVE to read the books to get a true sense of the films and how everything connects, as well as experience the real magic of the stories. So, so much gets left out. Not unnecessarily in most cases, but they're such fun reads.

The truest adaptations are the first two. The stories get darker, but not as dark as the films. The first two embody the fun part of the stories pretty well.

1. The Prisoner of Azkaban: A-
2. The Goblet of Fire: B+
3. The Order of the Phoenix: B+
4. The Chamber of Secrets: B
5. The Philosopher's Stone: B-

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:32 pm
loyalfromlondon

The second time I watched this, I couldn't even finish it. It's just so.... lifeless.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:29 pm
I heet the canadian!

I actually liked this a lot more than I thought I would, possibly because I haven't seen it since its theatrical release and have pretty much hated it since. A lot of this film is really great, with special mentions to the Department of Mysteries and Dumbledore/Voldemort battles. The brawl between the Order and Death Eaters, though, really strikes me as terrible. And Sirius' death was handled in disastrous fashion.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:00 am
Hold the door!

Obviously this film omits much from the book, but unlike the fourth film, kept the really important stuff instead of just extended action sequences. While 4-5-6 will always be my least favorites of the series due to their large excisions, this one definitely stays true to the heart, soul and feel of the novel. Kreacher was unnecessary though, his character went nowhere in this film and his screen time should have been given to someone else, just like Rita Skeeter in the fourth. I don't know why they couldn't have given five minutes of screentime to Quidditch, though. Casting is spot on, acting is great, the film looks great, sounds great, and has a strong score, great plot (though not as complex as the novel) and is just overall great.

A+

Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:08 am
now we know

F all day long.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:51 pm
Profile WWW

One of the weaker films

Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:40 pm
Hold the door!

Algren wrote:
F all day long.

Who are you F ing all day long?

Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:56 pm
You must have big rats

his hand

Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is definitely one of the more forgettable entries, though I still love it. It's Yates's weakest as a director though. The 6th movie is a vast improvement and the 7th is where it hits its peak, IMO.

Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:23 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

I think this may be one of the weakest films of the series. It looks great and for the most part its entertaining but if you haven't read the book a lot of it can go over your head, like all the stuff with the prophecy, Sirius's death, among other things. As good as Staunton is as Umbridge that takes up too much of the movie, although the Room of Requirement scenes are great. I haven't read the books in ages but I'm surprised they never really mention that instead of Harry it could've been Neville as "the boy who lived".

Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:46 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

It's my least favorite of the films. Too many moments are left out or hardly mentioned in this installment, and most of the material that made it into the film has too little time devoted to it.

Overall, it's pretty frustrating entry as a big fan of the series. Another 15/20 minutes would have done this one wonders.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:03 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I just re watched this again. Definitely the best of the long book one film adaptations. It actually captures the main point of the book (what is in the Department of Mysteries?) much better than Goblet (which focuses on the action scenes rather than who put Harry's name in the cup and clues foreshadowing the end of the novel) and Prince, which puts the emphasis on the love triangles rather than finding out about Voldemort and who the Half Blood Prince is.

Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next