Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Rescue Dawn 

What grade would you give this film?
A 31%  31%  [ 5 ]
B 56%  56%  [ 9 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 16

Rescue Dawn 

Post Rescue Dawn
Rescue Dawn

Quote:
Rescue Dawn is a 2007 war drama film directed by Werner Herzog, based on an adapted screenplay written from his acclaimed 1997 documentary, Little Dieter Needs to Fly. The film stars Christian Bale, and is based on the true story of a German-American pilot named Dieter Dengler, who is shot down and captured by villagers sympathetic to the Pathet Lao during an American military campaign in the Vietnam War. Veteran actors Steve Zahn, Jeremy Davies, Pat Healy and Toby Huss also star in principal roles. The film project, which had initially come together during 2004, began shooting in Thailand in August 2005. Executive producers for the film comprised, Freddy Braidy, Jimmy De Brabant, Michael Dounaev and Gerald Green among others. Rescue Dawn explores subjects such as war, human torture and captivity.

A joint collective effort to commit to the film's production was made by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Gibraltar Films and Thema Production. It was commercially distributed by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer theatrically in the U.S., and by Pathé Distribution, Hopscotch Films and Central Film GmbH in foreign markets. In home media format, the film was distributed by MGM Home Entertainment. It was originally scheduled to be released by MGM in December 2006, but was held back for limited release in the United States at some point in 2007. The film had a nationwide release on July 27, 2007, after a limited release in New York City, Toronto, and Los Angeles on July 4. The film score was written by German composer Klaus Badelt, after previously working with Herzog in his 2001 film Invincible. The soundtrack was released on June 26, 2007, while the DVD and Blu-ray Disc versions of the film were released on November 20.

Following its premiere in theaters nationwide in the United States on July 27, the film grossed $5,490,423 in domestic ticket receipts. It earned an additional $1,686,720 in business through international release to top out at a combined $7,177,143 in gross revenue. The film was technically considered a financial failure due to its $10 million budget costs. Alternatively though, the film recouped its losses and saw some popularity in the video rental market grossing $24,747,717 in DVD sales. Preceding its theatrical run, the film was generally met with positive critical reviews before its initial screening in cinemas. Following its cinematic release, the film was nominated for multiple awards, including a Golden Satellite Award and an Independent Spirit Award. It also won an award from the San Diego Film Critics Society for actor Christian Bale in the category of Body of Work.

Last edited by Nebs on Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

[Preface: I was very, very fortunate to see two movies for the first time today. Rescue Dawn & Ratatouille. Both of which will be entered on my 2007 Top Ten List. Is that fortunate, or what!?!]

Spoiler: show
Dieter's response when asked what thought kept him alive during his trials: "Fill what is empty. Empty what is full...".

The absolute best part of this docu-drama is it's realism. Yup -- Werner Herzog knows a thing or two about reality and it's adversities. From his recent documentary Grizzly Man to Fitzcarraldo to Nosferatu -- he's been exploring the edge of madness/survival for decades.

This true story of an American pilot shot down in Laos in the Vietnam war, and his subsequent tribulations is non-stop stomach knotting stress. Think Midnight Express stress.

Christian Bale does a fine, fine job as Dieter and is ably supported by stellar Steve Zahn (where's that Sahara sequel, damnit!) as Duane.

This is a top notch film, folks. Enjoy!

10 out of 5.

[Edit: Fixed spoiler code.]

Last edited by Bradley Witherberry on Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:16 am
The Antichrist

Can't wait to see this (along with Grizzly Man, which I missed because no theatre around here showed it). I don't expect it to get to Aguirre or Lessons of Darkness' level, but I know the good old Herzog won't disappoint me.

Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:15 pm
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Great movie. Christian Bale is great and I was very surprised by Steve Zahn, kudos to him for not fucking up. I was actually just as grossed out as I was watching The Machinist. Can the cast get any skinnier? These guys must have put their bodies through a ton making this. And to top it off, there is a scene involving leaches and a snake which made me cringe. Great story and performances around. A+

Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:21 pm
Extraordinary

It was a good, well-made film. Bale's devotion is very apparent.
But ultimately, it did nothing new.

B

Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:03 pm
Pure Phase

Overall, Rescue Dawn is a very good film with a home stretch so infuriating and misguided it taints the entire experience.

In telling the story of a German-born U.S. Navy pilot who crashes over Laos during the Vietnam War and is captured, imprisoned, and tortured before staging a daring escape into the jungle, iconoclastic director Werner Herzog has fashioned an enthralling film set apart by Christian Bale's soulful and dedicated (he lost a significant amount of weight to portray the deteriorating physical state of his P.O.W. character) performance and naturalistic cinematography which is stunning in its beauty and scope.

Unfortunately, the director fails to craft a perfect ending and nosedives in his borderline-pathetic attempt to elicit patriotic cheers during the climax. With the rote efficiency you would except from a far less passionate and unique director, Werner Herzog piles on the (Sweet 'N Low-caliber) sugar and you almost forget what preceeded this interminable, Pearl Harbor-style epilogue was an unbridled and well-constructed cinematic exploration of the P.O.W. experience and the power of hope and faith.

I'll recommend Rescue Dawn because most of it is so good, but let me tell you... I haven't been this disappointed and disheartened by a dénouement since The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King went on and for what felt an eternity.

B+

Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:53 am
Extraordinary

Unfortunately, the director fails to craft a perfect ending and nosedives in his borderline-pathetic attempt to elicit patriotic cheers during the climax. With the rote efficiency you would except from a far less passionate and unique director, Werner Herzog piles on the (Sweet 'N Low-caliber) sugar and you almost forget what preceeded this interminable, Pearl Harbor-style epilogue was an unbridled and well-constructed cinematic exploration of the P.O.W. experience and the power of hope and faith.

I'll recommend Rescue Dawn because most of it is so good, but let me tell you... I haven't been this disappointed and disheartened by a dénouement since The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King went on and for what felt an eternity.

That's the problem with real life -- it's sometimes just too darn ridiculous to be believable.

Herzog made a documentary with Dieter Dengler in 1997 before he died, titled Little Dieter Needs to Fly (I'm betting it'll be on the DVD) -- and according to Dengler and everyone involved, the ending of Rescue Dawn is exactly what happened in real life. As for interminable, I felt it was almost too fast after the months of captivity -- on film, Herzog presented this portion of the story in under 5 minutes -- he went from the jungle to giving the speech on the aircraft carrier in under an hour -- again though that was exactly what happened in real life.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:19 am
Pure Phase

The events of Gods and Generals happened too, but the movie's still an inert bore.

Factuality is good, but execution is supreme.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:36 am
Extraordinary

The events of Gods and Generals happened too, but the movie's still an inert bore.

Factuality is good, but execution is supreme.

Hmmmm... I used to have difficulty admitting I was wrong too...

You've gone and changed your whole review just to unsuccessfully try and save face -- tsk, tsk, tsk...

Let it out -- own your error and shout it out for all to hear...

Mistakes are how we learn and grow.

Learn and grow, Gunslinger -- shoot from the hip!

:shades:

Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:49 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Rescue Dawn
Only 4 written reviews and 8 grades for this one - - why didn't WOKJer's go out to see a great movie like Rescue Dawn?

Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:42 pm
Forum General

Because it's not playing anywhere.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:33 am
Profile YIM WWW
Orphan

I saw it and was somewhat disappointed in spite of very good performances from Bale and Zahn (very suprising). The ending just sucked so bad. It was way too corny. Even if it's what really happened, they should have found a different way of doing it or ended the film when it's apparent he'll be rescued.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:05 am
Extraordinary

movies35 wrote:
Because it's not playing anywhere.

505 theatres isn't exactly "not anywhere"...

Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:04 am
Squee

A very well made film on a technical level, but it left me cold.

**1/2

:glare:

Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:51 am
The 5th B-Sharp

Squee wrote:
A very well made film on a technical level, but it left me cold.

**1/2

Exactly, the shots and acting are pitch perfect. Bale deserves a best actor nom he will in no way receive but I just never felt in the story, I never felt for the characters, nor cared what was coming next.
Still
B (for great shots and cinematography and acting.)

Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:57 pm
On autopilot for the summer

A lot of awkward humor throughout and kind of a glossed over feeling leaves me disappointed by this one. It's not a bad movie, but its more a film that shouldn't have been PG-13. They obviously hold back quite a bit that could have packed more of a punch. Though Bale and Zahn are good, and the cinematography is very beautiful. It's a B-/B for me.

Theres a lot better POW films, but at least its no Harts War.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:21 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

It was a good movie. nothing more. nothing less. B

Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:58 am
loyalfromlondon

My first introduction to Herzog. Probably not the best option, but it's an easy starter lesson.

I didn't really notice any specific stylistic traits, but there's a lot of thematic stuff to work with. I really dug how he stuck as close to history as he could, forgoing cliché and traditional arcs in favour of a more realistic approach. This makes the story seem almost symmetrical; Dengler gradually gains more human contact until he is fully immersed in the POW camp, and then he gradually loses these contacts until he is, once again, alone. Of course, the film is bookended by scenes of him in the military, but the contrast between these moments is startling, specifically in the physical figure of Dengler, with his extreme weight loss and unhealthy appearance. The disparity of these scenes is key to this idea of a naturalist narrative.

I also liked how there wasn't one specific conflict, with a build-up, climax, and resolution, but a series of smaller conflicts, both internal and external. Herzog deals with traditional hierarchies of man vs. nature, man vs. man, and man vs. himself, never emphasizing one over the other, giving each of them their time in the sun.

However, I didn't love it. I felt the film could have been a lot stronger technically, or at least more in line with the themes it dealt with. The 'fade to black' was overused to a ridiculous degree, and it made the film seem more episodic than continuous, at odds with the ultra-realism of the story. There was also no real continuity among the cinematographic choices, switching from panoramic pans to gritty handheld work to subjective perspective shots without much reason for it. Perhaps this is a trademark of Herzog; I'd have to watch more films of his.

I certainly enjoyed it, and it's a solid film overall, but something just felt off about it. It felt almost like Herzog was dampening his style for Hollywood, though I have no real clue what his style is. Still, it's a 'good' film, as weak as that sounds.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed May 07, 2008 10:24 pm
Angels & Demons

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Only 4 written reviews and 8 grades for this one - - why didn't WOKJer's go out to see a great movie like Rescue Dawn?

i saw this movie the other day. it was ok

Fri May 09, 2008 11:45 am
The Wall

6/10 -> C

It's a well made movie. It just doesn't do anything for me. I did't like Bale here also.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]