Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Great Expectations (1946) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Great Expectations (1946) 

Post Great Expectations (1946)
Great Expectations

Quote:
Great Expectations is a 1946 British film which won two Academy Awards and was nominated for three others (best picture, best director and best screenplay). It was directed by David Lean, based on the novel by Charles Dickens and stars John Mills, Valerie Hobson, Finlay Currie, Martita Hunt and Alec Guinness. Jean Simmons, who played the role of the young Estella in the film, later played Miss Havisham in a 1989 version directed by Kevin Connor.

The script, a slimmed-down version of Dickens' novel which had been inspired after seeing an abridged stage version of the novel, in which Guinness (responsible for the adaptation) played Herbert Pocket and Martita Hunt was Miss Havisham – casting that was carried over into the film - was written by Anthony Havelock-Allan, David Lean, Cecil McGivern, Ronald Neame and Kay Walsh. The film was produced by Ronald Neame and photographed by Guy Green. It was the first of two films Lean directed based on Dickens' novels, the other being his 1948 adaptation of Oliver Twist.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

The standout is... David Lean. Great great job directing this so tightly, really entertaining and charming for most of its running time, and beautiful cinematography. The acting and writing is all very sharp, you love Estella just as Pip does. Mill, Hobson, Alec Guiness(!), Hunt, Currie all work greatly together.

However, I've never been a huge fan of the Great Expectations resolution. I always found the last act web revealing Estella to be the convict's daughter and the lawyer setting it all up, along with the scarface revenge guy, and the planned escape/charge, etc. all to be a bit much. I've never read the book so maybe it flows better there, but regardless in general I prefer the first half with the simplicity of Pip growing up and hanging out in that house and moving to London to distinguish himself.

Still though, very very solid, and very well done.

I think the 1935 A Tale of Two Cities has a better lead performance and is more emotionally deep as a whole, while the direction and script is stronger here. I prefer that film slightly though.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:50 pm
The Wall

Post Re: Great Expectations (1946)
8/10 -> B

Great costumes, sets. Great directing. Very funny. But the story is predictable and a bit of a bore, like any other Dickens story.

Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]