Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Big Nothing 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Big Nothing 

Post Big Nothing
Big Nothing

Quote:
Big Nothing is a 2006 British neo-noir comedy film directed by Jean-Baptiste Andrea starring David Schwimmer and Simon Pegg. It was released in December 2006, and had its premiere at Cardiff Film Festival in November 2006.

Big Nothing was filmed on the Isle of Man and in Wales at Barry in the Vale of Glamorgan and at Caerwent and other areas of Monmouthshire. Other scenes were at Squamish, British Columbia, Canada.

Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:43 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Clever, but a little too clever for it's own good in the end.

The whole point of the movie is that money is not true happiness. I can buy that obviously and I think it's a good message. That saying - AND TO GIVE A MAJOR SPOILER AWAY - when the lead character tries to get ahead quick, but with his family at the forefront, by investing in a dumb scheme that was bound to go wrong, he shouldn't die from it. Yes, the one shot at the end with his daughter drawing on the money drives the point home since the money means nothing to her, but now she is fatherless. Happy endings for all!

I've also read theories that maybe he really isn't dead. Bullshit. If he weren't really dead, the director would've given us some clue to let us in on it since we wouldn't walk away with a bad taste in our mouths.

On the plus side though, the script as I mentioned before is clever, and is almost brilliant in the way it ties up everything in the end. I also liked the supporting performances, especially from Pegg, although his American accent seemed somewhat awkward. And either Mimi Rogers is desperate for work, or she is a good sport.

If it weren't for this one thing though, I would've given the film a much higher grade. Instead, it gets a.....

C

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:47 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I actually liked it a lot. Good find at blockbuster. A little too low budget, but very well written and funny at times.

B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:44 pm
You must have big rats

Post Re: Big Nothing
C+

I'm siding with jmart on this. I had some hopes for this movie with its cast and all (also, the description sounded funny), but the movie was only successful in parts. Simon Pegg is definitely the highlight here and I was surprised to see
Spoiler: show
him being shot at the end
. David Schwimmer, however wasn't really convincing and neither was he funny. He has always been a weak spot on Friends for me and it has remained this way since then. Josie McBroom, on the other hand, is the big surprise here in a pretty good role.

The movie has its moment of funny black humor (which gets really dark at times here) such as the characters all being stuck in the house of the priest and all the things happening there, but it rarely rises above average. It's also waaaayy too short. I mean, the end credits aside, it runs for less than 80 minutes. Now what's up with that.

But my major complaint is the unhappy/dark ending. It just didn't really fit the rest of the whole thing. I mean, I know, it's a dark comedy and all, but this just seemed so out of place. The final 30 seconds or so are pretty good, though, tying all the things together again. The entire movie is too uneven, though and the ending flat-out sucked.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

David Schwimmer, Simon Pegg and unknowns. Pretty good, but docile. I was sleepy so my eyes were all over the place towards the end, but it was good from what I saw. Enjoyable dark comedy. Not laugh out loud funny, but it never intended to be, just a nice film with good performances and odd circumstances. It needed more violence and more of a bad ass streak to it to make it any way interesting.

B-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:37 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]