Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Transformers 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 46 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 30 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 92

Transformers 
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Transformers (2007)
This is by far the most overrated of this year's blockbusters. I enjoyed all of the May threequels a lot more (especially AWE ;) ), as well as just about every other major release (with the exception of dreck like Rush Hour 3). Yeah, it's entertaining, but far from being a "great" film. It isn't even Michael Bay's best work.

Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:24 am
Profile YIM
He didn't look busy?!

Gullimont wrote:
billybobwashere wrote:
a terribly overrated film; I hate how just because sequels like Spider-man 3 and At World's End were disappointments meant that they were looked upon as lesser films than this. Transformers is a fun ride, no doubt, but it's so incredibly soulless and style-less - only relying on visual effects and throwing away character development, a good script, or any real emotion - that it's impossible to take any more seriously than just cheap entertainment. I give it a good grade because it's so fun to watch, but my god how this doesn't hold a candle to films like SM3 and AWE, which were at least touched by human hands in their production.
B-

What the hell are you talking about????
shoot me, but i'm a person who at least enjoyed those two films. And even thought they were both messes, they were at least made with some creativity and effort. AWE was too full of uninteresting plot, and SM3 just had some major, major missteps...but both of them tried to be more than just action, and that's what made their franchises so popular in the first place. This film made the least amount of effort to have interesting characters, a good story, and a plausible script among anything i've ever seen. In that sense, it deserves like a D-. But the action and enjoyability is so high that my overall grade comes out to a B-. I know films like this are made for entertainment purposes, but it's so much more entertaining if you give a crap about the characters and what comes out of their mouths feels like human beings would actually say it...if it had accomplished that, i'd deem it better than the two said films, for it at least has no major crappy plot screwups [since there wasn't much of a plot] or unnecessary extra storylines [since there was hardly one].

but you know what? Transformers looks like it's gonna be the biggest current franchise pretty soon, and if that's what works, that's what works.

Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:14 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Guess I should start appreciating Ishtar more then.......

Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:13 am
Commander and Chef

billybobwashere wrote:
Gullimont wrote:
billybobwashere wrote:
a terribly overrated film; I hate how just because sequels like Spider-man 3 and At World's End were disappointments meant that they were looked upon as lesser films than this. Transformers is a fun ride, no doubt, but it's so incredibly soulless and style-less - only relying on visual effects and throwing away character development, a good script, or any real emotion - that it's impossible to take any more seriously than just cheap entertainment. I give it a good grade because it's so fun to watch, but my god how this doesn't hold a candle to films like SM3 and AWE, which were at least touched by human hands in their production.
B-

shoot me, but i'm a person who at least enjoyed those two films. And even thought they were both messes, they were at least made with some creativity and effort. AWE was too full of uninteresting plot, and SM3 just had some major, major missteps...but both of them tried to be more than just action, and that's what made their franchises so popular in the first place. This film made the least amount of effort to have interesting characters, a good story, and a plausible script among anything i've ever seen. In that sense, it deserves like a D-. But the action and enjoyability is so high that my overall grade comes out to a B-. I know films like this are made for entertainment purposes, but it's so much more entertaining if you give a crap about the characters and what comes out of their mouths feels like human beings would actually say it...if it had accomplished that, i'd deem it better than the two said films, for it at least has no major crappy plot screwups [since there wasn't much of a plot] or unnecessary extra storylines [since there was hardly one].

but you know what? Transformers looks like it's gonna be the biggest current franchise pretty soon, and if that's what works, that's what works.

i've never understood people's claims that transformers is like .. all action and nothing else. i mean espicially considering that outside of sporadic scenes and a scorponok battle, transformers spends more time talking than anything else till like the last half hour which is pure action. so umm ....

i would actually go as far as to say that films like AWE were more action than Transformers ever was.

And finally, i never understand why people want their animals, blown up credit cards, a rock and their robots to sound human. Why can't robots act like .... robots, animals act like animals. Why should they all be more 'human'.

Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:29 am
Profile WWW
Artie the One-Man Party

Enjoyed it to a degree first time around, I know I'm gonna hate it second time around. Shia is always fun to watch, but even him you don't care about at all. And while I find it respectable they didn't even try to make this whole space robots thing more realistic like they do in a lot of adaptations, that doesn't mean it still doesn't come off as goofy. I did not care what happened to one human in this film, and they didn't do much better of a job making me care about Bumblebee or Optimus Prime. Hell, I didn't even care if the other guys got the box. The plot just wasn't fleshed out enough, even for an action extravaganza.

And the action, not that great either. Too sporadic, and not inspired enough when it was there, and too shaky to really get a feel for what was going on. I just wasn't feeling this one. At least Spider-man 3 I cared what was going to happen at the end, even if the movie itself wasn't much good. Same can even go for AWE (and I'm not a big fan of either of these).

C+

Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:39 am
Artie the One-Man Party

loyalfromlondon wrote:
wow, just wow.

AWE and SM3 are many things but being more entertaining than Transformers isn't one of them.

I....didn't say that. I said I cared more about the humans, and the final outcome.

Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:46 am
Artie the One-Man Party

Yes.

Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:01 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Spider-Man 3 is more entertaining than Transformers, and AWE is more entertaining than both ;)

Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:02 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Pundit

Spider Man 3 almost made me want to walk out of the theater. AWE was not what it could've been and was slightly disappointing.

Transformers was a shot of adrenaline. It was FUN to watch.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:55 pm
He didn't look busy?!

bABA wrote:
billybobwashere wrote:
Gullimont wrote:
billybobwashere wrote:
B-

i've never understood people's claims that transformers is like .. all action and nothing else. i mean espicially considering that outside of sporadic scenes and a scorponok battle, transformers spends more time talking than anything else till like the last half hour which is pure action. so umm ....

i would actually go as far as to say that films like AWE were more action than Transformers ever was.

And finally, i never understand why people want their animals, blown up credit cards, a rock and their robots to sound human. Why can't robots act like .... robots, animals act like animals. Why should they all be more 'human'.

Was Transformers really a story about anything more big robots and people trying not to get killed by them? I mean, the closest we got to characters involved the whole Shia story, but all that story consisted of was a fuckin' hot babe and two very unrealistic parents...all the scenes involving the government and the hacker guys did absolutely nothing to make me care about the characters. and in all honesty, a movie like this could have easily balanced interesting characters with robot action. This just didn't make any attempt to include the former.

i agree with what french man's saying. TF is more entertaining, but it isn't anything more than entertaining, and it never tries to be. AWE and SM3 both tried to be more than just entertainment, and I feel that on some levels both succeeded, even though on others they failed.

Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:39 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

billybobwashere wrote:
AWE and SM3 both tried to be more than just entertainment, and I feel that on some levels both succeeded, even though on others they failed.

But Billy what you are saying is a very double edged sword.

Everyone "tries" to make the best film they can, yes even evil spawns of Lucifier like Uwe Boll or Paul W.S. Anderson. You can't just arbitrarally assign a "tries" logo to one film and a didn't try to another, again everyone tries the difference is the level of success.

Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:45 pm
You must have big rats

Gullimont wrote:
billybobwashere wrote:
AWE and SM3 both tried to be more than just entertainment, and I feel that on some levels both succeeded, even though on others they failed.

Everyone "tries" to make the best film they can, yes even evil spawns of Lucifier like Uwe Boll or Paul W.S. Anderson. You can't just arbitrarally assign a "tries" logo to one film and a didn't try to another, again everyone tries the difference is the level of success.

I wouldn't be so sure about Boll...

Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:49 am
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

Gullimont wrote:
billybobwashere wrote:

i agree with that. In my opinion, quite a bit of what both SM3 and AWE tried to do worked, even though some of it didn't. For that reason, I deem them better films than Transformers.

But it also allows me to completely understand why general audiences loved TF and hated AWE and SM3.

Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

I rented it. I didn't like it. I was bored for what seemed like ever. Then they arrived at sector 7, and the movie got all Independence Day-ish but actually started clicking a bit. Then they started blowing shit up in the city and I couldn't tell who was fighting who.

Hoping this would thrill, but it didn't happen.

Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:37 pm
Forum General

spiderman 3 was a disgrace to cinema....

Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

Je disagree.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:55 pm
Profile WWW
Baaaaa!

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Gullimont wrote:
billybobwashere wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure about Boll...

I knew that my internal alarm to alert me as to whenever Uwe Boll is mentioned was going off. :P

Anyway, speaking as probably one of the biggest "fans" of him around, I do think that Boll tries. All of the interviews that I've seen or read with him give me the impression that he does love film and tries to do his best, but as soon as he sees something that worked in another movie and wants to put it in his film (i.e. bullet time in House of the Dead), he forgets that coherency and basic plot structure should not be optional when making a movie.

Paul W.S. Anderson, on the other hand, strikes me as an unbelievable hack who claims to be a fan of the adapations he makes, but isn't in reality. I refuse to believe that a self-described massive fan of Alien and Predator could for one second think that his AvP script was in any way, shape, or form worthy of those two creatures. The same goes for Resident Evil and likely Death Race.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:08 pm
Extraordinary

Transformers continues to bore me to tears every time I try to watch it. Once those goddamn hackers show up, it's all down hill.

Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:13 am
No Wire Tampons!

A-

Incredible action like i've not seen since Jurassic Park on this breath-taking scale. I think with all the big motion pictures that focus on characters we've been missing a blow-out of epic proportions. Even big action pictures compress all the finest moments to trailers and then the rest is just dialogue and generic predictable story.

Transformers however, was mainly action, and its characters intertwined around that. When i see an action movie, i expect some action, and it definitely delivered on that front. I actually think it avoided being too corny and definitely was Michael Bay's strongest work as a director, and is it just me or did he have a reasonably funny, witty and crisp script here?

Shia is pretty damn good, and Megan Fox is welcome on the eyes.
Yes there are issues with the movie, but its still bloody good.

I really was surprised. I thought i'd hate it.
There you go.

Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

So I just watched this last night (in glorious high definition and surround sound!) for the first time since the theatres, and, lo and behold, I liked it a lot better.

Granted, I don't think it's the epitome of the action movie or even the summer blockbuster, but I really enjoyed myself this time. Perhaps it's because the first time I saw it it was on the back end of a theatre doubleheader with Die Hard, or perhaps it's because I've learned to be less overly critical of the story and focus on the film as a film, but it definitely went down a lot smoother.

I think Michael Bay is growing on me. His films are watchable just for their action, but his high-contrast look, quick-editing, and jingoistic themes are somehow appealing because he makes them so ridiculous.

I guess I should watch the Bad Boys movies, but I loathe Martin Lawrence.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:50 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

My grade has gone down a lot since my first viewing.

Its very fun and the visuals are amazing (not best ever though), but the story is horrrrrific and some of the cheese felt completely out-of-place. Still a cool movie. And Megan Fox is totally....yum.

B/B+

Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:47 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I gave this a B-. But it says I voted "A". I gave Batman Begins a B-/B, but the thread says I gave it an "A" as well. :er:

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 am
Profile WWW
je vois l'avenir

thompsoncory wrote:
Spider-Man 3 is more entertaining than Transformers, and AWE is more entertaining than both ;)

Completely disagree. SM3 was NOT entertaining, it was too ridiculous. AWE was a bit too long/boring. Transformers wasn't any special but it was easily the most entertaining of the three.

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:57 am
Extraordinary

Corpse wrote:
I gave this a B-. But it says I voted "A". I gave Batman Begins a B-/B, but the thread says I gave it an "A" as well. :er:

That was only a bug in the forum software upgrade - - I've been assured by those in the know, that all of our old grades are correctly recorded despite the fact that the "x" always appears beside the "A" on the poll for pre-upgrade polls...

:yes:

Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:06 am
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

Great movie. It was fun, and had a good amount of action. Shia was great as the lead role, and damn, Megan Fox didn't even have to do anything and she was still great.
Haven't seen it since last July so I'm gonna see it sometime again before TF2 comes out.

B+

Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next