Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Trainspotting 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Trainspotting 

Post Trainspotting
Trainspotting

Quote:
Trainspotting is a 1996 British drama film directed by Danny Boyle based on the novel of the same name by Irvine Welsh. The movie follows a group of heroin addicts in a late 1980s economically depressed area of Edinburgh and their passage through life. The film stars Ewan McGregor as Mark Renton, Ewen Bremner as Spud, Jonny Lee Miller as Sick Boy, Kevin McKidd as Tommy, Robert Carlyle as Begbie, and Kelly Macdonald as Diane. Author Irvine Welsh also has a cameo appearance as hapless drug dealer Mikey Forrester.

The Academy Award-nominated screenplay, by John Hodge, was adapted from Welsh's novel. The title of the film refers to a hobby of sitting and watching trains pass by and is used as a metaphor for 'wasting time'. Beyond drug addiction, other concurrent themes in the film are exploration of the urban poverty and squalor in "culturally rich" Edinburgh.

The film has been ranked 10th spot by the British Film Institute (BFI) in its list of Top 100 British films of all time. In 2004 the film was voted the best Scottish film of all time in a general public poll.

Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

I actually liked it more the second time around due to the fact that I more easily made it through the thick accents. The baby scene was unforgettable and I think the movie had my favorite ending ever, with Ewan running down the streets and reinventing his life. A

Last edited by Caius on Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:22 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I've purchased the film over six months ago and finally got to see it. I must say that I expected more, yet liked what I got to see a lot. Furthermore, I think that this is a movie that will improve more on additional viewings and I can easily imagine myself seeing the film again in near future which is always a good sign.

The thing is that I while I knew that the movie is aoncstructed as a dark comedy I still expected it to deal more with the heroin addiction of the main characters which seems almost like a side note in the movie. I certainly did not expect a Requiem for a Dream, but at least some more mentions. Danny Boyle, despite having made one of the worst movies I have ever seen with The Beach is starting to become a director that I really like more and more. He has a very distinct style about him and I liked the last two films of him that I have seen a lot (Sunshine and Trainspotting). It's his directing job along with a sharp screenplay that makes the film work.

Of course, the actors should be mentioned as well. However, at the end I only found Ewan McGregor and Robert Carlyle to be really worth mentioning. I wish there had been more of the latter in the movie. I loved the first hour of the film which had so many innovative, funny and imaginative scenes that I really felt like on a ride. However, towards the end (as Renton moves to London) I felt that the movie lost a lot of its pace and I really wasn't enchanted by the ending. Just not sure what to make of it. Still a very solid effort and as I said, I expect it to improve on further viewings. I wouldn't be surprised if it enters A-territory at some point.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Trainspotting
It starts really strongly, and then gradually loses momentum, so the finish is kinda weak, but there's no denying its style and power. It's disgusting at times, hilarious at others, but it's always memorable and distinctive. McGregor is great, but it's Robert Carlyle who steals the show with his off-the-wall, rage-fueled performance. Great fun.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:56 am
The Wall

**** / ***** (B)

It will always have a (deserving) cult status, but for me there was always something missing in Trainspotting for it to have a status of one of great movies of all time. It's well paced, superbly acted, but I always thought it's slightly off focus story wise. I'd much rather it ended once Renton got to London and was "over" with a junkie life. The whole heist thing feels like something Hollywood would devise for a more "memorable" ending. And the thing is it ends the same - with Renton leaving them for a "normal" life.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Haven't seen this in years but I finally rewatched it a few nights ago. Much more stylized than I remembered. Ewan <3

Not one I totally love but probably one of Boyle's best. Can't wait to check out the sequel.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:32 pm
now we know

Considering I am British, I am a little embarrassed that it has taken me more than 20 years to see this modern classic. But I've seen it now. Danny Boyle is some director. It doesn't matter what the subject matter is, he can create highly engrossing and energetic stories. His use of music to carry the film is just superb -- a skill that he perfected with Trance. It's a good film,
and I can see why it was and is so loved. I mean, it's also a disgusting and horrible film depicting some pretty trashy and vile people, but Trainspotting just oozes the 90s with its techno soundtrack and care-free attitude, and that is nostalgically appealing. Obviously I feel like I've long missed the train on this film, but I do still appreciate the film and all of its individual parts - the performances are second to none!

Look forward to T2: Trainspotting to see what goes on between Begbie and Renton. I actually cannot wait!

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:44 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Awesome.

I believe you will appreciate the sequel, too, and Renton's character arc and how it depicts people finding ways to transcend addiction (or not).

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:28 pm
now we know

I was surprised to see no review from you in here.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]