Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Ratatouille 

What grade would you give this film?
A 81%  81%  [ 67 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 14 ]
C 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 83

Ratatouille 
I heet the canadian!

Post Re: Ratatouille
The Steeeve wrote:
Magnus wrote:
Shack wrote:
Best American animated movie ever of this decade? Probably. Wow.
Fixed your post :thumbsup:

fixed it even more. Let's not get carried away....
You guys are the ones that got carried away with all the fixing, now it's totally broken. :disgust:

Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:23 am
Squee

Ratatouille is in my top 3 animated movies of all time. (all of which are "american")

:glare:

Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:09 am
Top Poster

B, so of course critics will love this film since it pretty much worships the almighty opinion of critics. But, really, this movie felt a little bit too typical and I felt a lot less emotional attachment to these characters than in many other Pixar films. Only a bit better than Flushed Away, although the visuals were spectacular.

My Pixar rankings:

1. Monster's Inc. - A+
2. Finding Nemo - A
3. The Incredibles - A-
4. Toy Story 2 - A-
5. Toy Story - A-
6. Ratatouille - B
7. A Bug's Life - B
8. Cars - C

Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:57 am
Profile WWW
The 5th B-Sharp

alex young wrote:
B, so of course critics will love this film since it pretty much worships the almighty opinion of critics. But, really, this movie felt a little bit too typical and I felt a lot less emotional attachment to these characters than in many other Pixar films. Only a bit better than Flushed Away, although the visuals were spectacular.

My Pixar rankings:

1. Monster's Inc. - A+
2. Finding Nemo - A
3. The Incredibles - A-
4. Toy Story 2 - A-
5. Toy Story - A-
6. Ratatouille - B
7. A Bug's Life - B
8. Cars - C

Did you miss the last like 6 minutes, it really takes critics down a peg.

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:10 am
Teenage Dream

Have I chimed in yet? I can't remember...

Anyway, the reason this is probably the best animated movie of all time is because of how cinematic it is, and I mean that in a couple of ways.

First, it's cinematic in the very basic sense -- The camera is dynamic and part of the narrative. In Ratatouille, the camera is dynamic in a way we have never seen in animation before. This movie is composed and shot like a live-action piece.

Secondly, it's cinematic in the sense that it is in love with movies, and is never shy about wearing its heart on its sleeve. The Fin seriously made me want to jump out of my seat and shoot through the ceiling.

Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:17 pm
Extraordinary

makeshift wrote:
The Fin seriously made me want to jump out of my seat and shoot through the ceiling.

Fin? I think you're thinking of Finding Nemo...

Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:19 pm
Teenage Dream

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
makeshift wrote:
The Fin seriously made me want to jump out of my seat and shoot through the ceiling.

Fin? I think you're thinking of Finding Nemo...

Clever. :mer:

Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:20 pm
Extraordinary

makeshift wrote:
Clever. :mer:

As usual, there's a fine line between clever and stupid - - I like to walk both sides of that street...

Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:33 pm
Top Poster

Timayd wrote:

You mean when all of them were eagerly awaiting the critic's review the next morning? And then the critic's review being read outloud to serve as the ending and message of the movie? Followed by the rat getting recognition by only the critic and his co-workers while ignored by the ignorant public?

Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Hey, why does it show that 99% of the votes have been either a B or A. Where is that 1%!?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:47 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

alex young wrote:

I think I just found my retarded statement of the week.

Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:43 am
Extraordinary

Gullimont wrote:
alex young wrote:

I think I just found my retarded statement of the week.

...and second place goes to his follow-up post trying to justify it...

alex young wrote:
You mean when all of them were eagerly awaiting the critic's review the next morning? And then the critic's review being read outloud to serve as the ending and message of the movie? Followed by the rat getting recognition by only the critic and his co-workers while ignored by the ignorant public?

...now if he can just make one more follow-up retarded statement of the same quality in this thread, he can win the rare triple crown!!!

Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:09 am
The 5th B-Sharp

alex young wrote:
Timayd wrote:

but the speech was about the shallowness by critics. :huh:

The Speech
Spoiler: show
Anton Ego: In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. Last night, I experienced something new, an extraordinary meal from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the meal and its maker have challenged my preconceptions is a gross understatement. They have rocked me to my core. In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto: Anyone can cook. But I realize that only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere. It is difficult to imagine more humble origins than those of the genius now cooking at Gusteau's, who is, in this critic's opinion, nothing less than the finest chef in France. I will be returning to Gusteau's soon, hungry for more.

Really that worships the almighty opinion.

Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:45 am
Stanley Cup

B+. Good film

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:57 am
Forum General

Saw it again last night.

Loved it even more.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Timayd wrote:

The Speech
Spoiler: show
Anton Ego: In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. Last night, I experienced something new, an extraordinary meal from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the meal and its maker have challenged my preconceptions is a gross understatement. They have rocked me to my core. In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto: Anyone can cook. But I realize that only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere. It is difficult to imagine more humble origins than those of the genius now cooking at Gusteau's, who is, in this critic's opinion, nothing less than the finest chef in France. I will be returning to Gusteau's soon, hungry for more.

Really that worships the almighty opinion.

So why are you quoting a critic's speech recited as the ending of the film for a argument that the film thinks that a critic's opinion supposedly doesn't matter? And if you read the whole speech, even though the beginning may sound negative, it is actually one of those "But..." speeches. Critics know (and disdain) "the bitter truth" that in the grand scheme of things the mass public likes and supports money for many pieces "of junk" in spite of the critics' criticisms. But the point he is making is that he praises the critics' role in helping to push the discovery of new talents, as if it is the critics' voice is the main determining force of whether a new talent can succeed.

Also, they portray Anton Ego as what an ideal critic should be, someone who is ultimately so unbiased that he judges the food on its own merits without regard as to his prior judgments, who was involved in making the food, or the fact that the cook won't meet him until at the very end of the evening. Are we not to supposed to infer from the film that most critics are just as unbiased and principled as Anton Ego in their reviews?

Finally, to argue that Ratatouille is anti-critic would be like saying Sideways is an anti-critic film because its protagonist has some self-loathing issues and character flaws.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:06 am
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

C+

Overrated. Cuteness isn't really interesting.

Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:12 am
The French Dutch Boy

Loooooooved it. Brad Bird continues to be one of my favourite directors. The best thing about the whole experience had to be the ending, which could have ended conventionally (with the critic loving the food and the restaurant remaining a huge success), but chose a far more interesting and very satisfying way to end the film. I love how everyone came back into play, including a health inspector.

Oh, and I'm totally campaigning for "Lifted" to be nominated at the Oscars for Best Animated Short.

P.S. I didn't know who was voicing Gusteau going in, and throughout the movie still couldn't figure out who it was. Boy, was it a shock to find out afterwards that it was Brad Garrett who voiced Gusteau! I am VERY impressed with Garrett.

Peace,
Mike

Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:34 pm
Star Trek XI

MikeQ. wrote:
Oh, and I'm totally campaigning for "Lifted" to be nominated at the Oscars for Best Animated Short.
It already was last year.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:59 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Up until the ending, I found it rather clichéd. It followed the typical animated film plot, and even the end, which kinda circumvented that, wasn't totally immune. I know it's a kid's film, and a dark, twisted finish wasn't in the cards, but I felt that both of Bird's previous films had a much more interesting story. For all this talk of Pixar 'growing up', I felt this was more of a step back from The Incredibles, which I still view as their most adult film. Still, though, it was a lot of fun, with fantastic animation, great voice work, and a lot of little comic moments that added up. It wasn't laugh-out-loud funny, but it was rather enjoyable. Not the greatest animated film ever, but certainly a welcome respite from the crap that is populating this genre today.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:51 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

the movie was boring.

Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:17 pm
New Server, Same X

Wow, did I love this movie. The first really, really, really good animated movie that I've watched in a long, long time. It's refreshing to watch an animated movie that isn't full of 1990s pop culture references, Hollywood it-names as the voices, or humor that appeals only to kids. When I watch movies like Shrek the Third and Madagascar, I see the attraction that some people have to them, but I still don't get that same enjoyment that I got from movies like The Lion King or Toy Story when I was 9 or 10. Honestly, I thought I lost my love for a good animated movie. But I certainly found my love again with Ratatouille.

Grade: A

Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:37 pm
loyalfromlondon

Magnus wrote:
Anyone who thinks Incredibles than this should be slapped.

:disgust:

I also like to make complete sentences.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:45 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

A-

Another blind buy for a Pixar film. This is my second favorite Pixar film. Behind Finding Nemo.

Finding Nemo - A
Ratatouille - A-
Toy Story - A-
The Incredibles - A-
Monsters Inc. - B+
Toy Story 2 - B+
A Bug's Life - B
Cars - B-/B

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

I was a bit disapointed after all the raves it got here. The movie was sweet and great to look at but could have been way funnier and I was surprisingly bored every now and then. Finding Nemo is still by far and away the best pixar film to date. B

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next