Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Nancy Drew 

What grade would you give this film?
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

Nancy Drew 

Post Nancy Drew
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Nancy Drew is a 2007 American film loosely based on the popular series of mystery novels about the titular teen detective. It stars Emma Roberts as Nancy Drew, Max Thieriot as Ned, Kay Panabaker as George, and Amy Bruckner as Bess Marvin. The film was rated PG by the MPAA for "mild violence, thematic elements and brief language." Set in Los Angeles, it was directed by Andrew Fleming.

Critics' reaction to it was mixed, with the film scoring a 49% at Rotten Tomatoes. One reviewer felt that it "caters to an exclusive club whose members are prone to overlook its numerous faults" and it was mocked in The New Yorker. The critics who did like it generally thought it was refreshing. The film grossed $30,666,930 worldwide on a $20 million budget.

Last edited by Nebs on Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

No comment.

Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:03 pm

Better than it looks, and a pretty good rewatchable mystery film.

B+/A-

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:17 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

I wouldn't go that far. It is well made but its quite passable.

Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:01 pm
Extraordinary

Okay, I'm convinced -- bring on the sequels...

I loved the new Nancy Drew!!!

Nicely done in a retro-serial style with neo-teen references to create a hybrid for the 21st century.

Emma Roberts was spot-on perfect as Nancy, and the other core series regulars were also solid including Ned and her Dad (and Corky, too)!

The story was authentically mysterious in the classic genre manner, and the set-up for future entries was detailed and respectful of the source material -- dig that Batman-esque utility handbag!

This is a kid's movie that doesn't talk down to the kids -- Nancy is an authentic nrrrddddd/grrrrrllllllll-power role model -- and this authenticity will grow this movie Travelling Pants-like legs in it's theatrical run and DVD release, thereby assuring the sequel about [spoiler]Loch Ness & diamonds[/spoiler] as promised in the movie's closing moments. I'll bet Emma Roberts is signed on for three Nancy Drew's, if not ten of 'em!

This is a great genre serial for all who've grown to love such things from their personal history of watching decades of classic flicks...

8 out of 5.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:47 am
ef star star kay

Post Re: Nancy Drew
Boring!!

Emma Roberts was good. And she might be the only good thing in this movie. And that Corky kid too. Too bad, he just started fading away after the first half.

Everything is just too "so not real". From the character to every situations. It made it hard for me to be engaged to the story.

C

Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]