Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Surf's Up 

What grade would you give this film?
A 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Surf's Up 

Post Surf's Up
Surf's Up

Quote:
Surf's Up is a 2007 American computer-animated mockumentary family comedy film directed by Ash Brannon and Chris Buck. It stars the voices of Shia LaBeouf, Jeff Bridges, Zooey Deschanel and Jon Heder among others.

In production since 2002 at Sony Pictures Animation, it was the studio's second theatrical feature. The film premiered in the United States on June 8, 2007, and was distributed by Columbia Pictures.

It is a parody of surfing documentaries, such as The Endless Summer and Riding Giants, with parts of the plot parodying North Shore. Real-life surfers Kelly Slater and Rob Machado have vignettes as their penguin surfer counterparts. To obtain the desired hand-held documentary feel, the film's animation team motion-captured a physical camera operator's moves.

Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:43 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Meh, didn't enjoy it until the last 1/3. Kind of different I guess. Still, just a C.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:49 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Really, really enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun. I loved the mockumentary style and the animation was beautiful.

A-

Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Profile YIM
All Star Poster

I think this, Hoodwinked and Over the Hedge are the best animated Films since the Inredibles. But wall E will POUND them all

Chicken Joe is Classic.

Awsome Lines from the Movie:

Chicken Joe: I can feel it in my nuggets.

Tank Evans: Tank needs fuel.

A-

Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:41 am
Kypade

Post copy and pasted
Really pretty good. Animation and voice acting shine. I loved the docu style (the short rain scene bringing Cody to the jungle shack is among the best of the year, visually, while the lava-slide through glow worm part, while truly joyous and exciting, took me out because there's no way the "camera crew" could have gotten those shots.)

The animation on the characters themselves sorta felt weird at times (compared to the scenery, anyway), and yes, it's pretty bland on story (it's every sports-comeback, redemption, underdog, coming of age film ever made). But it's got a good script which is quite funny and Shia, Zooey (:inlove: ), Heder and Jeff Bridges really make the characters work, which, along with the aforementioned animation/metafilm style is enough to make it very recommendable and quite memorable as far as non-Pixar animated films in the past few years go.

Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:07 pm
Romosexual!

cute,funny and sweet. :) good job Sony.

Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:09 pm
ef star star kay

Post Re: Surf's Up
Loved it!

A-

Sony has just edged out DW for best Hollywood studio for animation department besides Pixar (Aardman is British, doesn't count)

- in my book

Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:15 pm
invading your spaces

The story doesn't elevate it to A level, and the overuse of Green Day songs (including that weird bit with "Welcome to Paradise") lowers it a bit in my eyes.

But despite the rather straight forward story the directors/writiers/producers found a way to present it in a way that no family aimed animate film has up until this point.

It's not bad.

Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:49 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

Its the best non-Pixar movie in quite a while. Its funny and sweet. Loved it.

A

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:36 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

B-

Enjoyed it. Even though it was painfully predictable. Yes, family/kids movie, but still, annoyed me a bit.

Chicken Joe was kind of cool, but I think Z was the better comedy tool, for me he was anyway. Actually, I think his name was....Arnold? The little penguin that kept wandering into the ocean and kept drowning was probably my favorite humor part of the film.

The visuals were very nice, and the documentary-style was a bit odd, but it's a good thing. Studio's trying new ideas, whether they are good or bad, is always a big plus for me.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

great success

Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

really enjoyed it as did the wifes nephew's.

A-

Arnold is hilarious

Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:24 pm
Stanley Cup

i remember seeing this a few months back. it was solid. B

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:32 pm
You must have big rats

Considering the recent crop of medocre CG animated films (The Wild, Robots, Open Season, Hoodwinked), this stands out as a refreshing change. Surf's Up is a unique film that can stand up to its Pixar competitors. Presenting it as a mockumentary was an interesting idea that was very original and worked well for most of the time. The generic and predictable story was probably intended to be this way anyway.

I also really liked the characters they have created. Chicken Joe was cool, though his schtick got a bit old towards the end. Big Z was great and I loved the little penguins (especially Arnold of course). Even Tank was a funny creation. As far as the humor goes, I thibnk there are more missed opportunities here than I'd have liked, but there are several very funny bits too. What deserves a whole lot of praise is the film's animation which I found to be tremendous, especially during the surfing scenes. The waves looked so realistic most of the time that I sometimes even forgot I was watching an animated film. Truly shows how advances CGI animation has become nowadays.

I had lots of fun watching this in theatre. It reminded me a bit of Ice Age meaning that it didn't really have a great story or an interesting message, but was still a blast to watch thanks to some great characters and funny dialogue.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:19 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]