Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Knocked Up 

What grade would you give this film?
A 71%  71%  [ 42 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 8 ]
C 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 59

Knocked Up 
On autopilot for the summer

loyalfromlondon wrote:
Ben: Do you want to do it doggie style?
Alison: You're not going to fuck me like a dog.
Ben: It's doggie style. We don't have to go outside or anything.

That's not funny, it's just gross.

Why is that grossed, it's probably the third most common way humans fuck

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:38 pm
Squee

The Dark Knight wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

Make love, Gun. Humans make love!

:glare:

Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:55 pm
Extraordinary

The Dark Knight wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

The joke is stupid, that's my point.

And anyways, what goes on between you and Harrison Ford is hardly my business, so keep that to yourself.

Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

KNOCKED UP

Pretty funny movie but there are three annoying things about it.

1. Way to much drug usage.

2. Annoying and continual use of the word Fuck.

3. Annoying sister.

Yes, it's rated R but I wasn't expecting Money Talks level profanity and the use of drugs was just tiresome. I'm so sick of seeing marijuana portrayed like it's a feel good drug with no consequences all the time, but yes it's rated R. Lastly, the sister was just so annoying and so controling that even I wanted to "get away" from her. Overall, it was a pretty funny film but certainly no classic and I think it was even par with 40yrd old.

Grade - B

visiting dallas this week made me understand just how differnt the middle part of america is from the big cities. "too much drug use" "annoying use of the word fuck" wtf?!?! it's unbelieveable that you people exist in the same world as i. it's hilarious. and pot is totally free of any negative side effects. it is totally harmless and a natural high.

Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:55 pm
Commander and Chef

nghtvsn wrote:
KNOCKED UP

Pretty funny movie but there are three annoying things about it.

1. Way to much drug usage.

2. Annoying and continual use of the word Fuck.

3. Annoying sister.

Yes, it's rated R but I wasn't expecting Money Talks level profanity and the use of drugs was just tiresome. I'm so sick of seeing marijuana portrayed like it's a feel good drug with no consequences all the time, but yes it's rated R. Lastly, the sister was just so annoying and so controling that even I wanted to "get away" from her. Overall, it was a pretty funny film but certainly no classic and I think it was even par with 40yrd old.

Grade - B

visiting dallas this week made me understand just how differnt the middle part of america is from the big cities. "too much drug use" "annoying use of the word fuck" wtf?!?! it's unbelieveable that you people exist in the same world as i. it's hilarious. and pot is totally free of any negative side effects. it is totally harmless and a natural high.

i laugh at people when they come and tell me that POT raped their dog and stole their lunch money. POT did everything bad in their life.

I also laugh at people who come and tell me that pot is totally harmless and completely free of negative side effects.

you're both on the extreme ends of the same debate. sigh.

Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:06 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

no. one's on the extreme side, one's on the sensible side.

Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:43 am
invading your spaces

I'm so sick of seeing marijuana portrayed like it's a feel good drug with no consequences all the time, but yes it's rated R.

The marijuana use in the film had consequences. Alison felt disconnected from Ben because of the amount of time he spent baked and hanging out with his wasted and directionless friends.

He moves out of an environment where he was constantly exposed to it, but it doesn't necessarily means he never tokes, he just starts to live his life with more moderation. He doesn't give up his friends either.

Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:26 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

The Dark Knight wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

I think it is at least #2 worldwide. It used to be #1 until those damn Europeans started pushing Missionary. I think Woman on top is #3.

Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:18 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Commonly, "abortion" refers to an induced procedure at any point during human pregnancy; medically, it is defined as miscarriage or induced termination before twenty weeks' gestation, which is considered nonviable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion

Obviously, if Heigl's character terminates the child, then there is no movie. So, I wasn't stating it was a flaw in the script. However, the attitude behind it, and the way it was introduced struck me as patriarchial and propaganda. They could have left the idea out and I don't think the movie would have suffered. I thought the closing shot of the Kearn's character embracing the child only enforced the idea that termination was the wrong choice and did nothing to soften Kearn's character. Probabaly not fair to single KU out on this topic.

These stories were running in my head last week.

Quote:
In Suffolk, she tried to prosecute Tammy Skinner, who shot herself in the stomach to kill her unborn child on the day she was due to give birth, but couldn't because of the way the law was written.

Quote:
A man beat his girlfriend's 4-year-old son to death after she left the boy in his care while she was deployed to Iraq, police said.

Donnell Parker, 23, was charged Friday with first-degree murder in the death of Cameron Smith. The boy was found dead in his bed Thursday in a suburb south of Chicago.

Parker told police he beat the boy, but would not say why, said Calumet City police Chief Patrick O'Meara. It was not immediately known if Parker had an attorney.

Cameron was punched in the head, stomach and chest, and whipped with a belt from Tuesday to Wednesday evening, O'Meara said. An autopsy found he died of blunt-force trauma to the abdomen and head, O'Meara said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/26/beatin ... index.html

I saw Waitress, KU, and Mr. Brooks all last weekend. I found the cumulative impact of their attitudes on termination, objectionable. Ironically, I saw this week's Studio 60 and it restored some balance to the Hollywood "agenda". Perhaps, it was just a fluke that these three movies used termination as plot devices and didn't think about the implications of "exploring" them in such shallow fashion.

I think that ideas in movies matter. Movies were instrumental in popularizing smoking in the 1930 and 1940s. If the correct terms are used like termination and fetus then people will look at termination in a more rational way and not get confused with the emotional baggage pushed by the Pro-life side. People should choose to have a potential child, because it is in their best interests, not because they are forced by others pressure on what is the right course for themselves and their potential child.

I have seen plenty of people in my own life who have attempted or committed suicide because of the harm their parents have done. I have seen children adopted, that have led miserable lifes, because their adoptive parents were not equipped to handle their needs. Termination in some cases is the morally right thing to do.

I could be wrong. Didn't mean to sidetrack the discussion of KU with my qualms about how this specific topic was broached.

Last edited by mdana on Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:48 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

mdana wrote:
The abusive husband that drinks and cheats before the baby is born does the same thing afterwards and then the child and mother are in the E.R. for the next few years until she leaves and the father respects the court order or ends up killing them. However, on TV or films, the child is such a blessing and everything is wonderful. The baby isn't beaten to death, neglected, or abandoned at McDonald's in the middle of the night.

Hmmm, not challenging the example but I don't think that would work in the context of a comedy, unless its a Roddy Doyle novel he might pull it off.

Actually go watch "The Snapper" you'd love that film.

I hated Snapper when I saw it when it came out. I don't know if it was a bad print or what, but I couldn't understand the movie at all the sound was so bad. I am guessing you are referring to the Colm Meaney film written by Roddy Doyle. I'll have to watch it again when it is on cable.

Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:57 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Gullimont wrote:
mdana wrote:
The abusive husband that drinks and cheats before the baby is born does the same thing afterwards and then the child and mother are in the E.R. for the next few years until she leaves and the father respects the court order or ends up killing them. However, on TV or films, the child is such a blessing and everything is wonderful. The baby isn't beaten to death, neglected, or abandoned at McDonald's in the middle of the night.

Hmmm, not challenging the example but I don't think that would work in the context of a comedy, unless its a Roddy Doyle novel he might pull it off.

Actually go watch "The Snapper" you'd love that film.

I hated Snapper when I saw it when it came out. I don't know if it was a bad print or what, but I couldn't understand the movie at all the sound was so bad. I am guessing you are referring to the Colm Meaney film written by Roddy Doyle. I'll have to watch it again when it is on cable.

Indeed

Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:25 am
Begging Naked

Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:05 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

A scathing Holleron review. Great Success!!

Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:17 am
Commander and Chef

Quote:
Commonly, "abortion" refers to an induced procedure at any point during human pregnancy; medically, it is defined as miscarriage or induced termination before twenty weeks' gestation, which is considered nonviable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion

Obviously, if Heigl's character terminates the child, then there is no movie. So, I wasn't stating it was a flaw in the script. However, the attitude behind it, and the way it was introduced struck me as patriarchial and propaganda. They could have left the idea out and I don't think the movie would have suffered. I thought the closing shot of the Kearn's character embracing the child only enforced the idea that termination was the wrong choice and did nothing to soften Kearn's character. Probabaly not fair to single KU out on this topic.

These stories were running in my head last week.

Quote:
In Suffolk, she tried to prosecute Tammy Skinner, who shot herself in the stomach to kill her unborn child on the day she was due to give birth, but couldn't because of the way the law was written.

Quote:
A man beat his girlfriend's 4-year-old son to death after she left the boy in his care while she was deployed to Iraq, police said.

Donnell Parker, 23, was charged Friday with first-degree murder in the death of Cameron Smith. The boy was found dead in his bed Thursday in a suburb south of Chicago.

Parker told police he beat the boy, but would not say why, said Calumet City police Chief Patrick O'Meara. It was not immediately known if Parker had an attorney.

Cameron was punched in the head, stomach and chest, and whipped with a belt from Tuesday to Wednesday evening, O'Meara said. An autopsy found he died of blunt-force trauma to the abdomen and head, O'Meara said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/26/beatin ... index.html

I saw Waitress, KU, and Mr. Brooks all last weekend. I found the cumulative impact of their attitudes on termination, objectionable. Ironically, I saw this week's Studio 60 and it restored some balance to the Hollywood "agenda". Perhaps, it was just a fluke that these three movies used termination as plot devices and didn't think about the implications of "exploring" them in such shallow fashion.

I think that ideas in movies matter. Movies were instrumental in popularizing smoking in the 1930 and 1940s. If the correct terms are used like termination and fetus then people will look at termination in a more rational way and not get confused with the emotional baggage pushed by the Pro-life side. People should choose to have a potential child, because it is in their best interests, not because they are forced by others pressure on what is the right course for themselves and their potential child.

I have seen plenty of people in my own life who have attempted or committed suicide because of the harm their parents have done. I have seen children adopted, that have led miserable lifes, because their adoptive parents were not equipped to handle their needs. Termination in some cases is the morally right thing to do.

I could be wrong. Didn't mean to sidetrack the discussion of KU with my qualms about how this specific topic was broached.

the idea of abortion cannot be thrown out of the window when a pregnancy is unexpected .... in such a situation. no matter what happens, the question is at the back of someone's mind.

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Positive* Jon wrote:

A scathing Holleron review. Great Success!!

Quote:
...plugging away its conservative theme—abortion is not an option in movies anymore...

Knocked Up is essentially a rationalization for stupid behavior, coming off like a hybrid of an anti-abortion testimonial and an episode of the The Simpsons.

Damn, not exactly the person I want agreeing with me.

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

If the correct terms are used like termination and fetus then people will look at termination in a more rational way and not get confused with the emotional baggage pushed by the Pro-life side.

This is why both pro and anti abortion activists deserve to be slapped in my opinion. I love how both sides lay out their argument as fact, its quite frankly hilarious. But then moral absolutism like this is a very hard thing to combat.

Just give a person a choice and leave it legal and keep your own opinion to yourself because its such a personal decision your 2 cents are irrelevant.

Bleh this thread doesn't need this, not from either side because their both intractable.

Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:18 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Very funny in parts, but something about it didn't click with me enough to put it up there with 40YOV.

Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:07 pm
Squee

B+

Very funny in parts, but something about it didn't click with me enough to put it up there with 40YOV.

No virgin in it, that's probably why.

:glare:

Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:09 pm
Forum General

I didn't think it was entirely consistent. There are some comedic lulls in the second half, and I felt like them sending Rudd and Rogan to Vegas was pretty much just a way to get a funny drug scene in the movie. Except I didn't think it was funny.

But I loved the rest of it. The writing is outstanding - so natural and unforced (a la 40YOV, except better). When's the last time a romcom was written where the characters genuinely sounded like real people?

And I've got to say that this is probably the best acted film I've seen in a while. The 4 leads nail absolutely everything with actual wit, rather than the over-the-top comedic histrionics that so often now pass for "comedy" (comment sent in Will Ferrell's general direction).

And it's all rather low-key, which I loved. It's like the anti-Anchorman, or anti-Wedding-Crashers. For me at least.

And yeah, it's really sweet.

A-

Oh and although I loved the main 4, I've gotta say that my favorite scenes might have been those with Kristen Wiig.

"Just... just step on a scale. Subtract 20 from your weight. And... weigh that."

Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:16 am
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

Just watched the film. Though it did have some great lines there were no really memorable scenes like in Wedding Crashers or Virgin. I actually dont even think it's the best comedy of the year. I though Blades of Glory was funnier. Still overall really good film.

B+

Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:52 pm
Forum General

Oh and Katherine Heigl's performance here lends credence to the fact that my problems with Grey's Anatomy aren't with the actors, but with the writing.

Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Oh and Katherine Heigl's performance here lends credence to the fact that my problems with Grey's Anatomy aren't with the actors, but with the writing.

Yeah.

Izzie was by far the most annoying character on Grey's the last few months of the previous season, and I think that was entirely due to how she was written. In fact, I would dare say Katherine Heigl is Emmy-worthy in the role, which is an accomplishment considering how irritating Izzie has gotten.

Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:47 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Saw it a 2nd time, held up well, but Wedding Crashers and 40 Year Old Virgin were definitely funnier, as this relies a lot more on improvisational humor. Which I love, but others may not like it as much 2nd time round

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:22 am
The French Dutch Boy

The funniest comedy I've seen in a LONG time. MUCH funnier than 40-Year-Old Virgin. Thumbs way up.

B+

Peace,
Mike.

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next