Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Once 

What grade would you give this film?
A 61%  61%  [ 27 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 9 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 44

Once 
life begins now

Post Re: Once
I might get to see this soon (Thursday or maybe later if the theater keeps it after this week). I'm excited! :yes:

Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:06 pm
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

I'm downloading it at the moment

Usually I don't break my "no downloading" stance till late December, but Once is too much pressure for me. Must see it now.

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:32 pm
Extraordinary

28 posts, or one out of every three of the posts in this thread are by loyal.

I hope he's getting a cut for pimping this so hard...

Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:08 am
Motherfuckin' sexual

"Trying To Pull Myself Away" is the greatest song I have heard this year outside of Pat Monahan's new stuff. I forgot just how good this movie was.

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Devil's Advocate

Omfg

Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:18 pm
Begging Naked

Shack wrote:
Omfg

So far, promising...

Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

It was so good that I feel just a little bad about some of the A+s and As I've given out this year, they feel like they were playing in a minor league when compared to this.

Once is the most simple story in the world. Boy meets girl, boy likes girl, boy loses girl... it's been done a million times. But what's so remarkable is that in a medium where hundreds of movies get pumped out every year, somehow, someway, this manages to seem like one of the most fresh and original movie in years, period.

It's the perfect not quite love story - Loyal touched on this, but Once is the most appropriate title possible. It's represents that few days moments in the middle of a mess tangled life that you meet someone in some place, and then after those few days they're gone and you're only left to remember. Remember what could've and should've been in a case like this. Finally at it's heart, Once is simply two people connecting, meeting out of all the billions on a random street, and finding something in common.

Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova deserve all the credit in the world here and more. They're not only good, they're pitch perfect. I was not expecting them to be this extraordinary, knocked my socks off. Little twitches of the face, expressions when listening to each other talk and sing, quiet moments, the look of nervous anticipation and other emotions, all of it dead on. More than that, this movie completley depends on you liking and loving them, and god do you ever. They might just be one of the most likeable couplets I've ever seen in a film, I just loved both of them so much.

The screenplay is absolutely perfect and if the film only gets that nod at the awards this year, it'll be deserved. The way the details of the story are little by little revealed, the way they let each other in, and just the conversations, it's awesome.

The songs are amazing and fit the movie perfectly, of course. Even in the longer musical sequences there is no boredom or waiting for the rest of the story to pick up, you just enjoy yourself. I hope it gets some Best Song consideration this year for sure.

Cinematography is another thing I never expected to be so top notch coming in. The way Dublin looks, the apartments, the facial shots of the characters, perfectly crafted. In particular the scene where she walks down the street in those headphones, that was riveting... One of the best scenes of any movie recently.

I also loved the ending. You don't have to know how we got the money for the piano, he just did. Both characters have smiles on their faces, happy with the last couple days, and yet, you feel like there should be more. And the last shot is beautiful.

It's probably one of the decade's best offerings so far, and maybe the best film since 04 when Eternal Sunshine/Garden State came out.

A+

Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:57 pm
Teenage Dream

The unanimous amounts of overwhelming love for this movie is quite impressive.

I can't think of anything that deserves it more, though. Shack is right when he says it's so good it makes you put whatever else you've seen recently in context. This is transcendent cinema that will eventually be a part of the essential film canon, and we are lucky to have witnessed the birth of a classic firsthand.

Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:06 pm
Devil's Advocate

I'm working on that soundtrack :lol:

I'm glad and even a bit surprised I loved this so much. I was afraid of CoM II, with loyal and Jon going orgasmic over it, watching it via download, having pretty high expectations, etc. CoM disappointing was like a slap in the face. I was wrong though. :yes:

Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:15 pm
loyalfromlondon

I guess I should see this now....

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:31 am
Kypade

man, i dunno

Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:52 am
Kypade

Like, Amelie and (to some extent) The 400 Blows? Or do you just mean in a 'good taste' way? Or like do you really find something in common between once and those other films?

Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:00 pm
loyalfromlondon

It's actually playing at the discount theatre by my house. I'll see if I can find time to see it....

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:03 am
Kypade

I'm like five minutes into my first viewing since theaters and I'm already loving it more than the first time. It even seems to /look/ better. :O

Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:59 pm
life begins now

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. I was for sure going in that I would be disappointed. Everyone had hyped it up so much, reviews are impecable, and it just looked so damn good. Boy was I wrong to doubt it. This is the kind of movie every movie should strive to be. First off, I want to say how amazing Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova were, especially Irglova. I felt for her every time she was on the screen...her last scene looking out the window was so touching. Her breaking down at the piano was heartbreaking. Her promising to pay her daughter back and getting batteries late at night was great. I absolutely fell in love with her. Hansard was great as well, but he could not hold up to her. The music was brilliant, which should almost go without saying. I am definitely getting the soundtrack soon. My only qualm, and it's a small one, is that I had trouble understanding some of what they were saying. However it wasn't anything that putting subtitles on couldn't fix. This is my new #1 of 2007 and it's a strong #1.

A+

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:50 pm
Profile YIM
Top Poster

I have to agree with bradley here. Many times during the movie I felt annoyed and unconvinced, something that happened to me in other movies like Before Sunrise (B-/C+), Garden State (B), and Almost Famous (C). It just doesn't connect with me despite my wanting it to.

The songs are great though, especially if taken out of the context of the movie, so I would recommend the soundtrack. And at least the movie's better than The Commitments (D-).

Another possible redeeming quality is that the filmmakers may come up with a great sequel in the future that I might be passionate about (like Before Sunset (A+)). But I still give this movie a C.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I was actually surprised at how much I loved it. I think it's because it's not a gushy, corny, over-romanticized love story; it's very low-key and subtle and thus feels more genuine. There's no big Hollywood productions - everything is more natural. This extends to the songs, also - they're not too synthetic or over-produced, and thus fit the realistic setting very well. And they're also terrific. They advance the narrative, express the character's thoughts, evoke emotions from the audience, and sound fantastic to boot. And that's all I really want from a musical/romance: something natural, something believable, with some great music. And I got it.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:18 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

B+

Really enjoyed it, and enjoying it was probably save by Squee since he told me it's not like a typical musical. So I didn't go into it expecting that, which I would have before. This isn't really a muscial at all really. It's fits better with films like Walk The Line. It didn't progress the story through song or anything. It's a musical film, but not a Muscial. And being a musical film, it needs some good music. And it has plenty. Not sure what the titles are, but the song they sing in the Music Shop (Irglova on the piano) near the beginning is my favorite and I may download it now. I really loved Marketa Irglova. Being ignored this award season it seems. I think she was more than good enough to get SOME recognition. And did this film seem LONG to anyone else? Not a bad thing since I don't mind how long a film is as long as I enjoy it. A film could be 6 hours, wouldn't matter as long as I liked it. It's under 90 minutes, but really feels like a solid 2 hours if not a little longer. To me it did at least. And like Chris said above, the final scene with Irglova on the Piano looking out her window was very good, and probably the best part of the film for me.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:58 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Once is a film that has moved me like no other film has all year. True, it's a simple story; boy meets girl, boy likes girl, boy looses girl. All of the power comes from how much the viewer can relate to it, and how wonderful the music is. The performances on display are great as well, Glen Hansard is very good in his role and has a great voice but the real breakout here is Markéta Irglová. She's phenomenal and you really feel for her. I'm curious if she is going to be in any other films after this because she was great here and I wouldn't be surprised if she wound up winning an Oscar sometime down the road. 2007 has given me many surprises, and while I'm not surprised at all that I loved this, I am surprised at how much I loved it. It was just a perfect movie.

10/10 (A+), and if it was at all possible, I'd give it a higher rating.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:53 am
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

I watched it today, and got it for Christmas, does that count? ;)

I'm so sad I missed this in theaters. :( It played for two or three weeks about 45 minutes away (though the theater is right down the street from where my mom lives, it's where I saw The Kite Runner a few days ago). I'm so glad my friend gave it to me as an early Christmas present. I'm sure I'll watch it again very, very soon.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:59 am
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

I can't believe how many 10/10 (A+)'s I've given this year. Last year I only gave one and the year before it I gave two or three. This year I've given SIX!!!

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

B+. A stunningly film , that takes more of the reality route to a musical more than anything. The music is fantastic.

Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:10 pm
life begins now

loyalfromlondon wrote:
:thumbsup:

Everyone should watch Once for Xmas. :wub2:

I bought the Once DVD/soundtrack combo from amazon with some Christmas money. Does that count?

Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:04 pm
Profile YIM
Cream of the Crop

Unfortunately I was expecting so much more from this, and for once (or twice) I have to agree with Bradley. Call me cynical, whatever, but to me, it's the most overhyped movie of the year. I really really wanted to love this, but when you can't connect, you just can't. It's like falling in love I guess. The songs are kinda good, the chemistry between the leads is believable and it does have the right ending. That's it for me.

In fact, I think I enjoyed Music & Lyrics (the mainstream companion to this) as much, if not more - as pure entertainment at least. Some parts here simply bored me, and for a 85 minute film, that's pretty bad.

(I don't feel like grading movies lately but this one would be like a 3/5 at best)

Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:26 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It's an emo romance (EMO-ROM), and worse it's target audience seems to be emo's old enough to know better...

Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next