Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Ils [Them] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Ils [Them] 

Post Ils [Them]
Them

Quote:
Them (French: Ils) is a 2006 French horror film directed by David Moreau and Xavier Palud.

Olivia Bonamy plays Clementine, a young teacher, who has recently moved from France to a remote but idyllic country house near Bucharest, Romania with her lover Lucas played by Michael Cohen.

Thu May 10, 2007 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

This little French shocker goes a similar route as films like Phone Booth and Red Eye by having a short running time in oder to keep up the tension throughout the whole film. And comes close to managing that as well. The story is pretty simple:

Clémentine and Lucas is a French couple living in Bucharest. One night "someone" is lurking around their house and sneaks in. The invisible menace keeps coming closer and grows more and more dangerous. The couple has to hide inside the house and, at last, tries to find a way to escape the approaching danger.

There's little here that you haven't seen before, yet the film is very effective. The opening scene of the movie is extremely tense and drags you right into the action. It is slow, but slow doesn't mean tedious this time around. It takes its time to build up the tension to the extreme and keep you on the edge of your seat. The short middle section of the movie serves the purpose of establishing Clementine and Lucas as just another normal couple, while the final section of te movie (which lasts about 35 minutes...which is almost half of the entire running time) is pure tension and suspense as the couple tries to hide and escape. Contrary to my fears, the menace is actually revealed before the end of the movie and the revelation is shocking enough to keep the viewers interested, even despite knowing the identities of "Them".

Currently, the film is slated for an US-remake, but I suggest all of you, especially fans of suspenseful thrillers to check out the original beforehand.

Mon May 21, 2007 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Post Re: Ils [Them]
B. After seeing this, and from what I have seen of The Strangers, it looks like a semi remake of it. Anyways, good film. Like you said its short, like Red Eye and such to keep the tension ampted up high and make it pretty fast paced. The last half hour is pretty good until they go into the woods then it kinda looses focus and the ending threw me off a bit. Granted I had no subs with it so I understood what I could.

Sat May 17, 2008 2:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]