Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Lucky You 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Lucky You 

Post Lucky You
Lucky You

Quote:
Lucky You is a 2007 drama directed by Curtis Hanson and starring Eric Bana, Drew Barrymore, and Robert Duvall. The film was shot on location in Las Vegas. The screenplay was by Hanson and Eric Roth, but the movie was partially inspired by the George Stevens 1970 movie The Only Game in Town.

The website imdb.com estimated this film's budget at $55 million and its U.S. gross revenue as $5.75 million, making it a box-office bomb.

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:03 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

To see the latest Curtis Hanson or not to see the latest Curtis Hanson, that is the question...

Tue May 01, 2007 6:40 pm
Devil's Advocate

I love Curtis Hanson and all, I think just about every one of his movies is superb, but this still looks like JUNK. The delaying doesn't seem promising either.

But who knows, maybe he can pull another one out of thin air.

Tue May 01, 2007 6:43 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I'm leaving to see this now. Starts in a half-hour. I have no expectations at this point. I am not expecting it to be good or bad.

Sat May 05, 2007 6:56 pm
Extraordinary

To see the latest Curtis Hanson or not to see the latest Curtis Hanson, that is the question...

I enjoyed Losin' It...

Sat May 05, 2007 9:13 pm
Pure Phase

Last edited by David on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat May 05, 2007 9:21 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

A tragic failure from a good director. Nothing clicks, folks. It's lifeless.

If you're wondering what effect all the delays and poor test screenings had....they cut out most of Drew Barrymore's stuff, leaving just a gambling film (The irony, of course, is that the late advertising emphasizes the romantic aspect). And it's a good thing, too, since what's left of Barrymore is an absolutely shameful performance. I am embarrassed for her. This was miscasting of the highest order. Unless her character was supposed to have Down Syndrome, in which case I take everything back.

The other major problem is that everything about the film is just too Hollywood. It's supposed to be largely about degenerate gambler types, but everything is too clean, shiny, happy. Not to mention bland. We glimpse into the lives of these poor addicted folks, but they're sitcom gamblers. That awful guy from Becker shows up as an unfunny fuck who is currently engaged in wagers involving breast implants and living in a bathroom. It's painful.

Thus, the movie just sits on screen, and we have nothing to do but wait for it to end. It's a stinker, folks. Rare to see a film so uninvolving from beginning to end.

I'll stick to California Split, this idea done right.

Sat May 05, 2007 10:51 pm
You must have big rats

Curtis Hanson is one of my favorite directors (just seen Wonder Boys again a couple of days ago) and he is certainly one of the most versatile in the business. Sad to hear that he disappointed big time.

Sun May 06, 2007 10:06 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Saw this again tonight at a second-run theatre. Grade remains. I love this movie. It's my favorite of Curtis Hanson's and incredibly, incredibly UNDERRATED.

Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:08 pm
New Server, Same X

Post Re: Lucky You
This is the film equivalent of that old episode of The Simpsons, where it's discovered that Burns is not only sick, he has so many viruses in his body that they're keeping him alive. Lucky You is like that. It is chock-full of cliches and contrivances, to the point where you forget about them because they are so vast, and you just enjoy the movie.

I really, really dug this. I saw it five years ago and thought the same thing, but my sentiments were echoed on a rewatch. I love the poker scenes, they play out consistently like any sports movie: they're tense, they're plentiful, they're tragic, they're triumphant. Eric Bana is fantastic, something I don't often say unfortunately. Robert Duvall plays the wise old crank perfectly, as he often does.

Where does it go wrong, aside from the numerous cliches? Drew Barrymore, for one. She's either horribly miscast or the character is horribly written. Much of her performance is "He he he, I'm just a simple girl, I don't get all this poker business! I have street smartz, not poker smartz! Oh wow, look at your cards, you are winning! Let me say it loud enough for your opponents to hear!!"

And of course the dialogue leaves much to be desired. Too often the characters (especially father and son) dance around their feelings and emotions by talking poker terms but really talking real life underneath the jargon. It works here, doesn't work there.

In the end, I was riveted by the outcome. Curtis Hanson also directed the wonderful In Her Shoes, and while it doesn't measure up to that film's brilliance, I do believe it's a worthy addition on his resume, critics be damned. Too often I'm bored by a film clocking in at two hours, but I honestly didn't check the time once on either viewing. It's not quite a contender for Most Overlooked of the last ten years, but it's an honorable mention.

B+

Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:37 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Lucky You
Definitely a very good movie. I have re-watched it a few times over the years and always enjoy it, though the Drew Barrymore side of it is perhaps not as good as the Robert Duvall side.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]