Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Condemned 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

The Condemned 

Post The Condemned
The Condemned

Quote:
The Condemned is a 2007 action film, co-written and directed by Scott Wiper, and starring "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, Vinnie Jones, Robert Mammone, Madeleine West and Rick Hoffman.

The film centers on ten convicts who are forced to fight each other to the death as part of an illegal game which is being broadcast to the public. The Condemned was filmed in Queensland. Fight choreography was coordinated by Richard Norton, who also stunt doubles for Jones on some scenes.

The film was produced by WWE Films and released by Lionsgate. The Condemned was released in the United States on April 27, 2007.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:45 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

By far the best movie WWE has made thusfar. C

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:23 am
Devil's Advocate

By far the best movie WWE has made thusfar. C

:lol:... a backhanded compliment if I ever saw one.

I actually quite liked See No Evil.

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:27 pm
Mod Team Leader

A WWE Version of the Japanese film Battle Royale, 30 April 2007

*** This comment may contain spoilers ***

If The Condemned had a major Hollywood studio backing it, and wasn't dumped the week before Spiderman comes out, I think this would have at least been a film that people paid attention to. It is a very interesting concept that does ask some tough questions just like Battle Royale does and it's a wildly entertaining action film that has many similarities in style to a film like Commando in that it is entertaining but doesn't take itself too seriously. This is a very good vehicle for Steve "Stone Cold" Austin to make his starring debut in. His assets are his physical attributes and his sarcasm. Both are prevalent in this film.

The Condemned has a millionaire named Ian Breckle that clandestinely sets up an entire island to be a battle ground for 10 convicted death row inmates. They are to battle until the death, and if they choose not to fight, they have 30 hours to be the last person standing, or they will literally blow up. Attached to their legs is enough C-4 or something similar to blow them and whoever is around them clear to the afterlife. The philanthropist in Mr. Breckle knows that he can charge a very Wrestlemania like $49.99 for the world wide audience to log on and witness a live snuff film. This raises all kinds of social and political issues as you struggle to watch rapists and murderers slaughter each other on line and live. As one of the characters quips, "they are still human beings." Stone Cold Steve Austin plays a tough as nails former Ranger or SEAL or military operative of some sort. He has long since retired but his services are now of the mercenary kind. The problem is he was caught behind enemy lines and imprisoned in El Salvador. The American government of course denied his existence and through fate, and in one of the best parts of the film, he is chosen to participate after he makes mince meat out of the prison goon. There are others that could have played this role just as well, and as I said earlier, if this was a film that had a beefed up Brad Pitt or Edward Norton in the starring role with the same concept, it might have been taken seriously. As it stands, with Steve Austin in the starring role, the film is more of an after thought and a gimmick. But that isn't necessarily the case here. The action moves at a frantic pace and the fights are stylized and choreographed like they would be in a Vince McMahon produced television show. Austin is built for this character, Jack Conrad. And what he lacks in thespian skills, he makes up for in physical attributes. When he is on screen, he owns it. Whether he is fighting, insulting or even in his more subdued moments, the camera loves him. Let's face it, Austin wasn't cast in this film to become the next Marlon Brando, he was cast because of what he brings to the table. And besides, he is surrounded by a decent cast that more than helps him out. Although Austin has no scenes with him, Rick Hoffman is the best of the supporting cast. Hoffman is best known for his manic, frenzied characters he has played in films like Hostel and The Day After Tomorrow. He plays Goldman, the genius, but completely stressed out techie who sets the island up for the world broadcast. He is also one of the few characters who displays any remorse for what they have created. I enjoyed him in here and I sure hope he gets more roles like this in the future.

The Condemned is a pure action film that does raise some issues worth talking about. But more than anything, it gives us a very fun and worthy action film. A couple of more roles down the road and Stone Cold might supplant The Rock as the best WWE star on the silver screen.

7.5/10

Tue May 01, 2007 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Post Re: The Condemned
A solid action flick. Just a good 1.5 hours of entertainment, nothing more.

B-

Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:40 am
You must have big rats

I pretty much share Zing's thoughts on this. It's a solid actioner, nothing more, nothing less. At least it tries to come across with some good message and all, heh. It might have succeeded if the characters weren't just so damn clichéd and stereotypes. I mean, seriously: Helmut, a rascist, German rapist? The hell? Same can be said about pretty much all other characters. But at least Vinnie Jones seemed to have a blast with his one.

The movie also delivers in the gore and blood department and my grade would have been even higher if the camera wasn't so darn uneven that I couldn't make out what was happending in about half of the action scenes. Sometimes, a shaky cam is just what you need for a scene. This film was not such a case at all.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: The Condemned
It was actually going okay until the somewhat awful last 20 minutes.

C

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]